• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Quarter Finals

Sterling is the most frustrating player. He makes good runs, is a nuisance for the opposition, finds space for himself - then just doesn’t seem to know what to do next. Either makes the wrong decision or dithers so that the right option is no longer there.
Yet at City he scored what - 20 goals this past season? He’s clearly not useless but either it’s not clicking with England or he is truly shot for confidence. I think the rest of the team really want him to score. But it’s not happening so maybe the SF is the time for Southgate to drop him and give Rashford a start.
That time he had the goal at his mercy second half when Kane was alongside him begging for a pass, at that moment he chose to turn away and go for goal himself, as if to say, no way I'm letting you score again mate, I need this one for myself.

Hence he missed, the selfish little git.

That time he had the goal at his mercy second half when Kane was alongside him begging for a pass, at that moment he chose to turn away and go for goal himself, as if to say, no way I'm letting you score again mate, I need this one for myself.

Hence he missed, the selfish little git.

Yes, I think he might have lost a lot of the goodwill of his team mates for that one.

Depends what you want from a footballer.

I prefer Modric to Parker, Pirlo to Henderson. I value intelligence, understanding and skill over running, heart, sliding tackles and all that other stuff the less thinky end of our press loves.

The bottom of midfield should be the very fulcrum of a team's play, the source of everything going forward and where the style, tempo and direction of play is dictated.

Henderson runs a lot.

We don't like creative midfielders in England and no manager in "The Greatest League in the World" is going to give a young English player the chance to develop into one, so just sit back and enjoy the work rate.

Wasn't Sterling's path to Kane blocked by a big guy in yellow? Sweden were good with their scrambling defence and blocking. They stopped any second chances. Even the few pinball moments led to no clear chances for England.

What Sterling did was scare the Swedes with his pace. Nothing specific came of it, but Sterling and the rest of the front four asked many questions of the Swedish defence. By the second half they were collectively knackered and England had far more space.

Anyone in possession of a pair of football boots.

Starting with Dier, Delph, Loftus Cheek, then anyone else eligible in the squad based on fitness.

I think any England manager who has got a very average squad to the semi-finals of the WC is beyond criticism, tbh. He’s won every game he needed to. That’s the bottom line.

You, me and every other twunt on here would have selected a hundred different teams for every game so far. He’s had to do the actual selecting and he’s got it absolutely right every time. Results say that’s true.

Wasn't Sterling's path to Kane blocked by a big guy in yellow? Sweden were good with their scrambling defence and blocking. They stopped any second chances. Even the few pinball moments led to no clear chances for England.

What Sterling did was scare the Swedes with his pace. Nothing specific came of it, but Sterling and the rest of the front four asked many questions of the Swedish defence. By the second half they were collectively knackered and England had far more space.

Eventually it was, but he had a clear opportunity to roll it back to Kane for the shot - watch for 30 seconds at the link below. After he evaded the keeper there was the chance to roll it back for Harry but he chose to turn and attempt to get a shot off despite defenders between him and the goal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44665445

Back