• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

When it comes to major tournaments with international appeal, it only refers to Summer Olympics and the World Cup. Most of the world don't even know or bother about the Winter Olympics ! Not even the media would remind you about the past Winter Olympics, host cities or their greatest athletes !
Calling our Scandinavian friends, anything to say?:)

Calling our Scandinavian friends, anything to say?:)

Just that if you wanted to pick one tournaent to abstain from in order to tinkle Putin off, you should pick the Sochi Olympics. Very much Putin's personal project getting the Olympic Games to his favourite summer(!) resort.

it was interesting watching the "fallout" from the US not qualifying, the handful of "soccer" pundits were pulling their hair out on the sports networks but there was no angst or disappointment from anyone else, on talk radio the next day, it was a brief 5 minute segment and then it was back to discussing the start of the NBA season and the NFL.

That will go down as one of Messi's greatest moments.

Guardian write up:

Argentina conceded after just 37 seconds in their must-win game against Ecuador, but Lionel Messi came to the rescue as his side booked their place at next summer’s World Cup.

The No10 hit a brace in the first half in Quito and capped off a stellar performance as he completed his hat-trick with a stunning chip over keeper Maximo Banguera just after the hour mark.

Romario Ibarra stunned the away fans – and perhaps all of South America – as he nodded on a ball lofted high into the danger area and sloppy defence from Argentina allowed the Ecuadorian space to slot it in past Sergio Romero in the opening minute.

But Messi, who is now the all-time leading goalscorer in South American qualifying, played a deft one-two with Angel di Maria to level things up after 12 minutes and then put his side in front eight minutes later with a strike from just inside the box.

Ecuador continued to press in search of an equaliser as Argentina failed to kill the game off, allowing the home side to attack well into the second half.

It was a moment of brilliance which proved to be the difference. The Argentina talisman took the ball in space about 40 yards out from goal, weaved his way to the edge of the box and was able to lob Banguera – six yards off his line – as he lost his balance and fell to the floor.

Argentina were looking in danger of not making the 2018 World Cup in Russia going into the final group games, following a torrid campaign in which they had only scored 16 goals in 17 games.

Low points were numerous, and a 2-0 loss to Bolivia in March saw the end of Edgardo Bauza’s short stint as boss as Jorge Sampaoli took the reins.

Since then, three draws put Argentina on the brink of not making the World Cup for the first time since 1970. They then travelled to Quito – a place where they have not won since 2001 – but bagged all three points to guarantee a trip to Russia.
Just watching the highlights of this match. Amazing from the little man.

I'm watching Croatia v Greece now. Entertaining game so far, Croatia 3-1 up after 35 minutes.

And I get to watch Luka Modric playing football, a sight I can never tire of.

I'm watching Croatia v Greece now. Entertaining game so far, Croatia 3-1 up after 35 minutes.

And what a fudging fantastic cross for Croatia 3rd goal!

Would be helped by not having the boring bastard co commentator on Sky. Some brick defending from both teams.

Modders loves a dive, shriek and roll around these days, I'm going to pretend he never did that when he played for us.

The sligthtly below top sides try to play good football but can't because the players ususally don't play together more than a few days a year. Therefore the poorer sides can get results by defending solidly and trying to destroy andy attempts at football as this is much easier to do than having a working attacking system.

And that is why boring Ireland will go to Russia next summer and pretty good Denmark will stay at home.

International football really is dire isn’t it?

Couple of top sides then the rest made up of championship standard players.

Too much park the bus football.
Ireland are like WBA
Northam Ireland are like Bolton

To be fair England vs Germany was the best watch this weekend!

Too much park the bus football.
Ireland are like WBA
Northam Ireland are like Bolton

To be fair England vs Germany was the best watch this weekend!

I do find the slagging of the Irish teams on here by some hilarious. Given their scant resources their style of football is understandable.

England, meanwhile, have a lot more to pick from, and millions spent on their training facilities and set ups, and they are bloody awful to watch.

I do find the slagging of the Irish teams on here by some hilarious. Given their scant resources their style of football is understandable.

England, meanwhile, have a lot more to pick from, and millions spent on their training facilities and set ups, and they are bloody awful to watch.

Most international teams are though, the French have had some shocking matches this last year.

While England have financial resources they are hampered by having a league system so powerful and money orientated that it negatively effects the national team. I imagine the are more Swedish for example Swedish players playing in the national league in Sweden then the are English players playing in the top flight in the prem. Of course the standard of the Swedish league would not be as high, but they would have more to choose from and those players would be getting regular football.

Back