• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Working on an Oil Rig

Spursman

Neil Sullivan
I was speaking to an old friend of mine the other day and i always wondered what he did to be able to buy all these flash cars he posts on Facebook. i messaged him to see if he wanted a game of Fifa and he said he is about to go to work for 28 days. I said where do you work on an oil rig or something? he said he does!

Got chatting and he told me he earns 13k a month!! he works for a month then comes back home to England from Quatar for a month and then back again. So every other month he works. His actual job is a NACE Certified Coating Inspector. So its not really something dangerous. On his months off he also gets called occasionally to the North Sea for a few days for about 5k

Has anyone here worked on a rig before? the money is outstanding and i could do it for a couple of years then quit once i have invested it wisely.

Thoughts?

I'm qualified to work on a rig, did the BOSIET and MIST courses, but decided against it in the end. In all honesty I got scared of liking the money too much and not being able to quit

I'm qualified to work on a rig, did the BOSIET and MIST courses, but decided against it in the end. In all honesty I got scared of liking the money too much and not being able to quit

So the sort of money he is talking is correct? I would prob be the same, i say i would quit after a couple of years but how can you go from earning 13k a month to say 1,800- 3k a month. If you invest it wisely you can let the investment help you retire early.

I am serious considering it.

Great opportunity if you don't have kids and don't mind becoming an alcoholic. My missus is qualified to work on a rig as a driller, but she never took a job doing it. I might ship her out if we need some extra cash though.

My mate took up something like this couple years ago.. One of the downsides for him is it seems to be unpredictable work.. I mean plenty of work if qualified but hard to find somewhere that will keep you long-term with a predictable routine. He did a few months in Holland, then up North, or in Scotland.. 1 month on couple weeks off sort of thing. He's also got a little girl and finds it hard to be away for weeks at a time. However it's good money, even when you even it out over the periods when you ain't working.

Other thing was they pretty much forced him to work the whole of December, basically missing Christmas (even after he thought he was originally back for 3 weeks). Trouble was if he turned it down he reckons they would put him down the list when there's more work in the future.

He still seems to wanna give it a chance, just need to make that big adjustment away from working 9-5 like the rest of the world and earning regularly salary etc..

So the sort of money he is talking is correct? I would prob be the same, i say i would quit after a couple of years but how can you go from earning 13k a month to say 1,800- 3k a month. If you invest it wisely you can let the investment help you retire early.

I am serious considering it.

Working in the north sea is nowhere near that money. Entry level jobs, like cooks and cleaners, are around 2 grand per month, and that was on a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. Going to the middle east and south america can earn a lot more money

think i could adapt quite easily to that way of life, one month working - then jet off to a beach somewhere for a few weeks...rinse repeat - 13k p/m like the OP says and i would probably still find myself up 8/9/10k each time. do that for a couple of years and then you have yourself a nice deposit on a house without having become reliant on the money

think i could adapt quite easily to that way of life, one month working - then jet off to a beach somewhere for a few weeks...rinse repeat - 13k p/m like the OP says and i would probably still find myself up 8/9/10k each time. do that for a couple of years and then you have yourself a nice deposit on a house without having become reliant on the money

I used to work for myself as an IT consultant. Going rate was about £1K per day, if an agency found me the work then I'd usually have to pay them about £300 of it.

Problem is, it's easy to become lazy - I worked out that each charged day worked out to 2 days (travel, overnight stay, refreshing knowledge on stuff I hadn't seen in years, etc.), so I had around 10 'chargeable days' per month - 15 if I was working in some places for a few days at a time.

I worked out that I only really needed to work 5 days a week to earn £50K-£60K per year (all expenses were chargeable). Seeing as I was young and lived with my parents at the time, that was all I ever did - after all, that was plenty of money to get ****ed on/buy a car/buy clothes/etc. Had I worked even half as hard as I could have done, I'd probably have most of my mortgage paid off by now, but it's incredibly easy to fall into the trap of not bothering.

Working in the north sea is nowhere near that money. Entry level jobs, like cooks and cleaners, are around 2 grand per month, and that was on a 2 week on 2 week off rotation. Going to the middle east and south america can earn a lot more money

He works in Qatar but occasionally gets jobs on his time off in the north sea for extra money

Dangerous stuff though boys. I help get insurance for these things and when it goes wrong it goes wrong!

This, although the job itself may not be dangerous, just by virtue of being on an oil rig it is a dangerous job. An accountant isn't a dangerous job but if you're an accountant in the middle of Helmand Province Afghanistan then it is. :lol:

I used to work for a company that had a fleet of ships, the guys on board earned a sizeable wage and worked 6 weeks on 6 weeks off, don't forget for those 6 weeks you are working 24/7, if stuff needs doing then you do it no matter the time of day. If you can cope with the lifestyle and are capable of putting at least some of the money aside then it might be good for a few years, wouldn't fancy it long term though.

This, although the job itself may not be dangerous, just by virtue of being on an oil rig it is a dangerous job. An accountant isn't a dangerous job but if you're an accountant in the middle of Helmand Province Afghanistan then it is. :lol:

I used to work for a company that had a fleet of ships, the guys on board earned a sizeable wage and worked 6 weeks on 6 weeks off, don't forget for those 6 weeks you are working 24/7, if stuff needs doing then you do it no matter the time of day. If you can cope with the lifestyle and are capable of putting at least some of the money aside then it might be good for a few years, wouldn't fancy it long term though.

Mate accountancy is a dangerous game... we are dare devils us guys. Numbers can go wrong etc. Thrill of a lifetime haha.

I dont hear on the news of many major problems on an oil rig.

The Macondo loss in Gulf of Mexico is one that had worldwide publicity and was a major event back in 2010 but involved America and a British company so was always going to be Worldwide news. All the losses on the little oil rigs around the world you dont hear really.

My point being, that if it blows up, you are fcuked. The job is a lot dangerous than going to work in an office or a shop, it goes without saying.

my wife's stepdad did it for a while, IT support of all things, even something mundane like that can be scary on a rig as he was on the fire crew, the training involved tackling real wall fires and had to be done regularly, not sure I'd have the stones for that

You guys need to get jobs in the norwegian companies. Got a brother and a father employed by Statoil, (Norwegian government owned) they have a 2-4 rotation. Two weeks work and four weeks off. My brother is on about 7k a month and I don't know what my father makes, but it's more than him.

Yeh my mate told me about that. Of course there is risk. The amount of driving I do in my current job involves risk. When ur time is up it's up.

I just would love to be earning big money like that!

Back