• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Working beyond your contracted hours

BAE

Moussa Saib
I am contracted to work 35 hours a week. When I signed my contract, it said "Occasionally you will be required more than your contracted hours in order to fulfil the needs of the business". However, I reckon my average week is around a 45-47 hours a week, and that's just per my timesheet. In reality, I'm at work for 50+ hours a week, but a lot of that is spent f#cking about on G-G and Twitter!

The job I work in is an inefficient role, so by working in that for 2.5 years, I've become inefficient myself

I'm not overly annoyed or bitter about the situation (aside from the o, just interested to see what everyone else's average working week was?

And no, I don't get overtime for the extra hours worked!

Yeah.....speak to colleagues and present a united front.

I think unions are generally anti-job but I do believe in workers rights and a fair wage for a decent days graft.

These guys are taking the tinkle....they either take on more staff or give you a 30% bump in salary.

Depends what your occupation is. Some professions may espouse work-life balance, etc, but really if you're pulling 9 to 5, you're seen as a slacker.

I do at least 50-60 hours a week at a guess - that includes a fair amount of working at home in the evenings. Every now and then an all-nighter is required too - two days of work in a row is tough.

BAE - You sound like youre an Auditor?

I am an Auditor and I work to Clients hours rather than the other way round. I am at work at 7am and leave about 6 sometimes later if im meeting mates after work. I work a shedload of hours. I have members of my team who when I ask them to do something they say 'i have no time' WELL WHO THE fudge HAS? MAKE TIME.

Anyways yeah no such thing as a 9-5 and no such thing as lunch time. I charge clients 140 quid an hour - ya think I get paid that? nurpsh.

I think my hourly wage is less than a McDonalds worker - once you factor in the fact that im only getting paid 9-5.30 and not 7am-6pm.

Are you doing extra hours becuase of extra work load or because you are unable to do your 'normal' work due to distractions on the internet?

Are you doing extra hours becuase of extra work load or because you are unable to do your 'normal' work due to distractions on the internet?

Yeah chatting to people like you - ya ****.

Yeah I do waste a bit of time but its not an hour of the day, I dont have a lunch time, and I only go online if i have down time. Like now.

I used to be a contract server-side developer in a small team for a company in Canary Wharf, all of us on a day rate which was supposedly 8 hours per day.

In real terms this was more like 10-12 hours a day (no-one would dare leave at 5pm etc.) until one-day a new guy came in and started billing them for 'overtime', everyone then backed him up. As a result we were then officially told not to work over 8 hours each day. Result. :eek:

You can probably find a way out of it too, but depends on exact environment etc.

I fudging hate people who can't get things done because they don't have time. Anyone who uses that excuse is dead to me.

BAE - You sound like youre an Auditor?

Bingo!

Yep - my job is so contingent on the client. If they don't send me any information, I sit around all day, f#cking about on here. Then, suddenly, at 4:55 on the third day of the project, they'll send me a whole load of info. Thanks client, you f#cking Danchev!!

To be fair though, I have peers who regularly pull 60-70 hour weeks, and don't spend time f#cking about on the internet, so I don't have it that bad I guess.

Per Superted above, yeah, if you want to progress in my line of work, you wouldn't be able to get promoted by clocking 35 hrs each week. However, most of those I know are doing the 3 year training contract to get the qualification and then getting the f#ck out of here (to "the man", if you're monitoring the company internet, then I have no intention of doing this O:) )

Auditors get treated like brick. I remember when I used to work corporate, we'd dump the external auditors in the basement in a tiny room with no windows and very little air circulation. They'd always be working so hard all day, they'd be there when you arrive at work, and still scurrying away when you left, and you know their boss was cracking the whip.

Almost felt sorry for them.

Depends what your occupation is. Some professions may espouse work-life balance, etc, but really if you're pulling 9 to 5, you're seen as a slacker.

The business as usual job should be able to be done in your mandated hours, end of story.

Obviously chipping in when it's needed and not being a jobsworth when it's required is important, but if you're doing 50 hours a week every week it's a tinkle take.

I'm in sales, I work as long as it takes to do my number. If I tinkle my target and i'm walking out the door dead on 5 then no one gives a fudge.

We have it at my place, the department got told in a meeting by the section manager we were all brick, we were expected to put in more hours unpaid, we are under staffed anyway! and if we didn't like it and didn't put more effort in there's the door and they would get new people in. we then had the same meeting with the MD who had the whole site in and gave them the same message and they wonder why morale is low. everyone's tinkled off and people were working over, two, maybe three hours a day before this was all mentioned.

I think they can get away with it because when redundancies come around those who don't toe the line will be first out, and you cant kick up a fuss as they're aren't any jobs out there to go too.

Yeah it's expected in my profession too. If we didn't work extra hours the business would be unprofitable so everyone would lose out

It is brick

But it is a tough world and to win contracts tou have to give it the beans and deliver, whatever it takes

Alternatively we could all go and buy 100 copies of the big issue in our bmws and coin it in, I'm told

I worked in a garage that opened at 8am. Everyone used to get there at 7.45, have breakfast and roll into the workshop at around 8.05.

Id have breakfast at home, turn up 7.55 get changed, and was in the workshop when the 8.00 news came over the radio. My c#nt boss singled me out as coming late! Guess how that went....told him to f#ck right off.

He started taking cars up at ten to, so when I came, it "felt"like I was late. I laughed in his face.....and laughed harder when he wanted you to end your lunch break early, or stay late if we were busy. I took my full hour, put my tools down at 17.00 on the dot, but during my hours, I worked non stop, to the best of my ability....while others took 10 cig breaks a day, at 10 minutes each time.

Work that one out. I f#cking hate these companies.

Im also of the strong belief that they get away with it only because people dont stand up for themselves....which makes my life harder. MAN THE F#CK UP PEOPLE!!!!!! :evil:

Bingo!

Yep - my job is so contingent on the client. If they don't send me any information, I sit around all day, f#cking about on here. Then, suddenly, at 4:55 on the third day of the project, they'll send me a whole load of info. Thanks client, you f#cking Danchev!!

To be fair though, I have peers who regularly pull 60-70 hour weeks, and don't spend time f#cking about on the internet, so I don't have it that bad I guess.

Per Superted above, yeah, if you want to progress in my line of work, you wouldn't be able to get promoted by clocking 35 hrs each week. However, most of those I know are doing the 3 year training contract to get the qualification and then getting the f#ck out of here (to "the man", if you're monitoring the company internet, then I have no intention of doing this O:) )

BAE - You in External or Internal? I am in internal, I did a stint in External Audit and fudgein hated it and the January to April time is 60 -70 hour weeks.

Its funny you bring this topic up. I was chatting to a work colleague yesterday who was saying how a client treated her like 'brick' and how she wasnt getting the information she needed. I simply told her when the Client dont give us the information and evidence we simply write up the report as is, smack a limited assurance/red opinion and see how quickly the Client change their tune and start sucking your **** and start supplying you with mountains of information to change that opinion.

Since becoming an Assistant Manager Client have treated me with FAR more respect and provide me with the information at my first request, I make it a point to give my Business Card so they are aware of my position and basically a hint not to mess with me. I have learnt that the only way to deal with Clients is to be a bit of a **** but in an underhanded way and start using Auditor speak to 'scare' them into submitting information.

I dont know how big your clients are, what your role is in the audit etc but be a **** but cover your back. Ask for the evidence a couple of weeks in advance, via email, then send a reminder the following week, if they havent supplied it to you THEN, then you start becoming a **** and start writing up report and test based on what you have. Debrief the fudgers, the chances are they will be scared into submission.

I dont get treated like brick now at all. Chief Execs, Directors, Non Execs all treat me with a bit of respect now - admittedly I have known most of them for three or four years.

Back