• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wine... What's all the fuss?

Going to vinopolis in London bridge tomorrow. Was bought the one with 12 tokens whatever that means? Anyone been and especially on a Sunday just before the working week begins?

Any tips on vineyards?

"Les Charmes" is probably the most famous, and for a good reason too. The wines can be phenomenal. "Perrieres" is another I have tasted excellent wines from also. However, with Burgundy wines, probably more so than any other wine region, it is important to know the producer as the quality can vary significantly, even with grapes picked form the same vineyard. This is an area where I would seek out a wine shop where the buyer has experience with Burgundy wines in particular since these wines can get pricey and if I'm shelling out that kind of money, I want a personal recommendation.

From Wikipedia...

Premiers Crus

There are several climats in Meursault classified as Premier Cru vineyards. They consist of two groups, one to the north of the village Meursault, bordering on Volnay, and a larger group to the south of the village, in the direction of Puligny-Montrachet and Blagny. Their wines are designated Meursault Premier Cru + vineyard name, or may labelled just Meursault Premier Cru, in which case it is possible to blend wine from several Premier Cru vineyards within the AOC.[2]
In 2007, 96.97 hectares (239.6 acres) of the total Meursault vineyard surface consisted of Premier Cru vineyards, of which 0.82 hectares (2.0 acres) red Meursault Premier Cru. The annual production of Premier Cru wine, as a five year average is 4,706 hectoliters of white wine and 85 hectoliters of red wine.[2]
The climats classified as Premiers Crus are:
Les Cras
Les Caillerets
Les Santenots Blancs (Santenots)
Les Plures (Santenots)
Les Santenots du Milieu (Santenots)
Les Santenots du Dessous (Santenots) - red only
Les Vignes Blanches (Santenots) - red only
Charmes
La Jeunelotte (Blagny)
La Pièce sous le Bois (Blagny)
Sous le Dos d’Ane (Blagny)
Sous Blagny (Blagny)
Perrières
Clos des Perrières
Genevrières
Le Porusot
Les Bouchères
Les Gouttes d’Or
Les Ravelles

Can anyone recommend a good online retailer of wine, i'm after something like Pact Coffee, people who know what they are doing picking good stuff and just shipping me a box a month?

I've had a quick google but they seem to rely on me knowing what I want.

Can anyone recommend a good online retailer of wine, i'm after something like Pact Coffee, people who know what they are doing picking good stuff and just shipping me a box a month?

My friends use The Times Wine Club, thinking of getting on it as well as it seems good value - seeing them tonight so will enquire further

My nan used to love the very occasional glass of nice wine. Had a glass of her once which was supposed to be the bees knees, hated it. Recently I've had wine which is supposed to be nice and hated it as well.

Seems the more expensive the glass the worse it tastes!

Give me a 4 quid bottle from a petrol station any day. Even then it's still disgusting but at least I've saved a lot of money and managed to hold it in!

Then again I don't like champagne either... I'm defiantly more of a special brew man ;)

So they pay £123.00 per order and get 12 bottles of wine, they do that every 3 months - you can filter what they send you, they just get Rioja for example, but can leave it all up to the company to decide - he looked in to the value of what they were getting sent the first few times to make sure they weren't getting ripped off and all was fine in that respect. He recommends it

At the moment I'm lucky enough to have a local wine merchant who does all that stuff for me (along with tasting, etc).

But I've heard nothing but good things about http://www.humblegrape.co.uk/

I've just noticed they have a Chateau Le Puy on their site - I can't recommend that wine enough. I've had the 2004, I'm not sure if the 2008 is ready to drink yet but that wine can hold its own with some of the best Pomerol.

So they pay £123.00 per order and get 12 bottles of wine, they do that every 3 months - you can filter what they send you, they just get Rioja for example, but can leave it all up to the company to decide - he looked in to the value of what they were getting sent the first few times to make sure they weren't getting ripped off and all was fine in that respect. He recommends it

thank you, sounds good to me, that's the kind of thing I'm after, little bit of filtering but wanting to try new things

At the moment I'm lucky enough to have a local wine merchant who does all that stuff for me (along with tasting, etc).

But I've heard nothing but good things about http://www.humblegrape.co.uk/

I've just noticed they have a Chateau Le Puy on their site - I can't recommend that wine enough. I've had the 2004, I'm not sure if the 2008 is ready to drink yet but that wine can hold its own with some of the best Pomerol.

that looks really good as well, thanks

Like Scara, I buy my wine from a local wine merchant who knows what I like and I can trust their recommendations.

Friends of mine who are members of the Wine Society have spoken well of them and I have enjoyed what I have tasted.

Like Scara, I buy my wine from a local wine merchant who knows what I like and I can trust their recommendations.

Friends of mine who are members of the Wine Society have spoken well of them and I have enjoyed what I have tasted.

thanks, I'll check them out as well (They did come up in my searching but I dismissed them due to their archaic site design, I'm terrible for that), and also look to see if there is a better wine merchant near me than wine rack and m&s

Check out http://www.butlers-winecellar.co.uk.
If you call them you can have chat about what you might/might not like -and they will make suggestions -and within a price range.
They also used to have some really good bin ends and auction acquired bits and pieces which they sold at very reasonable prices. (I don't know if they still do -as I've had to cut back on the wine intake)

Buy some expensive wines, and some £6 rioja from Majestic... get your wife to pour a glass of each without you seeing... make sure you can taste the difference.

Back