• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is our best passer?

I'd say Vertonghen would probably be better doing that do. The only competition are Siggy, Holtby and Chadli.

But no one makes those passes for Spurs anymore.

The passing stats for 2011/11 season showed Modric making 17 accurate through balls out of 36 attempted in 36 league games. (roughly 0.5 per game)
VDV wasn't too far behind with 13 accurate out of 36 attempted in 25(plus 8 sub) appearances. (roughly 0.5 per game)

Look at last season's stats and our top through ball passer was Clint Dempsey! 6 accurate out of 8 attempted in 22 games (roughly 0.2 per game)

And the stats for the first 2 league games show not a single spurs player has attempted a through ball this season yet!
I'm _sure_ I saw Daws thread a cracking through-ball against Swansea...think it was Walker who got on the end of it. I was so surprised that I had to rewind it to make sure it was him!

It's all about movement, and out off-the ball movement last season wasn't all that. Partly because that's not the game we played. From what I've seen of this season (admittedly not much), it is now.

To me at least being "the best passer" means that you have to be good at a lot of things in addition to "just" the passing bit.

I think Holtby and even Carroll deserve very solid mentions. Too soon to say on the new guys. Vertonghen certainly has a lot in his locker and is important in our buildup play.

No obvious clear cut candidate though.

Actually Defoe is a decent passer, he used to get good stats. He has hit a couple of gem through balls , against Arsenal I think that have led to crucial goals.

He can also put a very good weight on a pass , when we are on a quick break.

He did it on Sunday.

The fact that most have picked a defender , tells us something IMO

If we get Eriksen he'd answer your question pretty quick. Though for him it's more about vision.

Daws can hit a crossfield ball better than most, but I'm a huge fanboy of Carroll so i'll go with him.

Honorable mention: Verts and BAE

Dishonorable mention: Walker (more-so because he's a little thick sometimes)

I'm _sure_ I saw Daws thread a cracking through-ball against Swansea...think it was Walker who got on the end of it. I was so surprised that I had to rewind it to make sure it was him!

It's all about movement, and out off-the ball movement last season wasn't all that. Partly because that's not the game we played. From what I've seen of this season (admittedly not much), it is now.

Yep, he also did a nice little run out of defence before that. Some players get no credit for these things because they aren't supposed to be able to do them!

Also, I'm sure Walker has played through-balls for Lennon this season. So I'm thinking those stats are off.

With regards to the Swansea game I thought that it was pretty telling that Michu always let Dawson have time on the ball and basically do whatever he wanted. Looked like their gameplan was to allow dawson time, but restrict Vertonghen. I would conjecture that this was because Laudrup see Vertonghen as the more effective player when we play it from the back. If we get a better passer to partner Vertonghen we would most likely be more effective playing the ball out from the back. Depending that the movement is good enough in front of them of course.

Daws had some pretty awful passes in that game and if I never see a hoof from Dawson again I will be extremely happy.

So far Paulinho is ahead after the first two games as best passer.

Dawson should be fined everytime he hits that long ball out to the left!

Bit depressing this thread. We have such a powerful side now, but passing isn't one of our strengths. I really notice it when we play in Europe. Continental teams are better on the ball than us. The passing just looks jerky sometimes, it's not neat and slick.

The problem with 'best passer arguments' imo, is that as well as the ability to place the ball where you want, the type of regular incisive passing that most people will point to as 'great passing' at the level we play at also resolves around being a split second more organised than the opponents, and having a good understanding of those around you, so you have space and time to play that ball at the same time that your target has made space for themselves.

The league is full of incredibly organised teams who pressure well and have earnt survival multiple seasons through closing space, pressuring players on the ball and leaving very little room behind them. It's very hard to get round that without the experience of playing around it in your team that the top teams have.

Conversely, right now we have a team who aren't used to playing with each other, with many players also getting used to a new system, so it's going to be very hard for anyone to prove themselves a great passer. Give them time though and players may surprise you - chadli didn't rack up the amount of assists he did while being unable to pass and Paulinho looked like his one tough passing was fantastic in the summer.

Carrick always looked like a great passer of the ball when he wasn't under pressure but certain opposition learnt to mark him well out of the game and he didn't look nearly as efficient. Modric was so sought after because he had that low center of gravity and technique to always make space for himself, but that's why he was so much money, because not many people are that good. Even Hudd, who has shown in the past what a passer he was, never had the opportunity to show it when he was playing at the tail end of last season as because the system wasn't set up around him we rarely got him the time on the ball he needed.

It used to be effective when Bale was playing out there. Maybe Dawson's eyesight isn't great and he hasn't noticed Bale is missing yet?

It's Holtby's vision, coupled with his passing skill, that makes Holtby's passing as strong an attribute as it is.

To me at least being "the best passer" means that you have to be good at a lot of things in addition to "just" the passing bit.

I think Holtby and even Carroll deserve very solid mentions. Too soon to say on the new guys. Vertonghen certainly has a lot in his locker and is important in our buildup play.

No obvious clear cut candidate though.

This

It's Holtby's vision, coupled with his passing skill, that makes Holtby's passing as strong an attribute as it is.

Have to admit, that after last season seeing him player in deeper roles that I was unsure that Holtby would ever get to the pace of the EPL. But playing behind the front man you can see the intelligence in his passing and his quick vision and his lack of outright pace becomes a non issue. That coupled with his goal for the U-21's and tonight showing he has that in his locker and im now all aboard the Holtby bus.

Carroll looked very nice tonight also. If he does go for a season to Palace it could be the making of him. Toughen him up and allow him to play. Then he can come back and fight for a spot with Dembele.

Granted Carroll's passing is forward thinking and plays riskier balls but quite often his passes are misplaced or intercepted....

His passes and those arrows are a bit underrated I think. Yeah he is bound to misplace a few but every player misplaces a few in a game. At least his ones arent costly in the true sense.

Granted Carroll's passing is forward thinking and plays riskier balls but quite often his passes are misplaced or intercepted....

Not sure I agree with "quite often" as a good description, but even if I did for the sake of argument I don't think it's an issue at this point. Like you say he's trying quick, incisive, meaningful passes and once in a while those don't work out. That's exactly what you want to see in a player his age imo, and especially in a game like tonight where the win was already secured and he was looking to impress and show what he can do.

It's like the "he dribbles too much" argument about a young winger. That's what you want, the finer details about when to do what will (hopefully) come with experience.

Back