• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who do you want to follow Poch from Southampton?

They get more time and space on the ball than any other position. Especially for us with the way teams sit back. If you want to break teams down, you need full backs who can do something.

It's still the least important position on the pitch. There's absolutely no need to spend 20m plus on a FB imo.

do you mean ever or just this season? funds needed elsewhere etc

surely you can see the logic in signing a good (as in top quality) young RB/LB who potentially could play that position for you for the next 5 years +

do you mean ever or just this season? funds needed elsewhere etc

surely you can see the logic in signing a good (as in top quality) young RB/LB who potentially could play that position for you for the next 5 years +

I mean ever. I would never want my club to spend 20m plus on a full back unless we've got super rich owners where money is no issue (and i would still be reluctant).

You buy Luke Shaw for 30m...even if he reaches his potential...what is his resale value going to be? the point is it probably won't be more than that.

Lallana and Lovren would be the two I would go for in any case. Shaw is decent and has masses of potential but his price will be so high, probably higher than Lallana in all likelihood and I think I want us to sign a solid, experienced LB. Clyne would definitely be someone I would like but he isn't a priority.

I mean ever. I would never want my club to spend 20m plus on a full back unless we've got super rich owners where money is no issue (and i would still be reluctant).

You buy Luke Shaw for 30m...even if he reaches his potential...what is his resale value going to be? the point is it probably won't be more than that.

well he either makes the position his own for a sustained period of time - at his it age could quite feasibly be a decade or so OR he gets sniffed out by a super rich club if the team doesn't progress and you make your money back.

either outcome would be money well spent imv

There is absolutely no chance of us getting Luke Shaw for 20million so I wouldn't worry.. Thinking about it no one has any chance of getting him for less than 20 million.. He is a great player now and will be even better in the future, I would take a chance on him as really believe he could be another Bale but it would cost 30+ million in my opinion..

I like a good few of their players but I think Lovren is the only one that would we would realistically get and represent value.. If we needed a right back I would throw Clynne in there as well.. I think we need to remember we just screwed them on their manager and recently screwed them out of Bale money, they will be out to make us pay for it as much as possible.

1) Lovren - ideal replacement for Kaboul (assuming he is perma-crocked)

2) Schneiderlin - replacement for Modric/upgrade on Dembele - deep sitting ballplayer with strong defensive attributes

They'd be my two priorities.

Re the others - Eriksen and Lamela can be our own (and have higher ceilings than) Lallana and Rodriguez, and Shaw is out of our league/price range.

This is the closest to my opinion. From the discussion on Poch's tactics, Eriksen and Lamela seem good for the Lallana and Rodriquez roles. Lamela is obviously more of a gamble, but surely we have to trust Eriksen as an important player who can adapt as needed.

Of all the positions in the "Poch", the all-around defensive midfielder who works hard and has some playmaker ability is the missing link. I have to admit the Schneiderlin interview affected me in backing Poch as the choice. So who else as a player and one who can help explain what is needed to his teammates?

i think it was a questionable deal due to the era it occurred in. even today, i would find it highly questionable.

regarding david luiz, i think he is the best of the 3 (luiz, terry, cahill). and is definitely one of the best cb's in the world. the thing is, mourinho likes to play very deep and with the midfielders just in front on the centre backs. and in that environment guys like terry and cahill are perhaps better. david luiz on the other hand is a more modern centre back. he can play well even in isolated positions, and is great 1v1. he is also decent on the ball too and has pace. basically, he is suited to the way most elite teams play (ie. with a high defensive line).

he would slot straight into teams like bayern or barca. part of the reason he was sold for so much is that there was a bidding war between these top sides. showing that many many top teams rate him.

Really on Luiz? I must only see him when he has a poor match which mind you seems to happen often. I understand your point about having the physical tools to be a top class CB but he certainly doesn't appear to have it all upstairs. He was dropped for Cahill when all were fit I think that says it all about him really. No dig on Cahill just he is not worth anything close to 50m.

David Luiz lacks discipline to play centre half. I do think he COULD make a good central midfielder though.

Any day of the week.

Dembele on the ball is THE strongest player in the league. has amazing dribbling and shooting "ability"
under the right coach he would be a beast
he could score as many as yaya tour in the right system

David Luiz lacks discipline to play centre half. I do think he COULD make a good central midfielder though.

he could make a "good" enough central midfielder. but he lacks the technical ability to be world class there. for a team like psg, i think he could prove to be a worldclass centreback one day (if he isnt one already).

Dembele on the ball is THE strongest player in the league. has amazing dribbling and shooting "ability"

Just a shame he can't pass and doesn't have a creative bone in his body.

His defensive work is great, but he holds us back offensively by failing to release the ball.

I want a little more than someone who is the "strongest" player in the league on the ball. His dribbling ability is his only redeeming quality. He has shown no signs of improvement in regards to scoring goals or imposing himself on games like someone of his "ability" should. **** me, is his movement diabolical too. Proper pass and stand still player.

Dembele will fall apart with Poch's double training sessions and stamina training imo. His strength becomes a weakness.

Back