• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who do you want to follow Poch from Southampton?

£30 million on Ferdinand was an excellent deal for Ferdinand, both back then and still now.

I don't think we have either the money or the draw for Shaw though, bigger fish are circling now.

£30 million on Ferdinand was an excellent deal for Ferdinand, both back then and still now.

I don't think we have either the money or the draw for Shaw though, bigger fish are circling now.

Sadly, this is true and people should move on from this idea. If he was a foreigner I'd think we'd have a chance. City could sell both Clichy and Kolarov to finance this deal.

Sadly, this is true and people should move on from this idea. If he was a foreigner I'd think we'd have a chance. City could sell both Clichy and Kolarov to finance this deal.

We could sell rose and naughton though ?

no idea were we are getting the other 26.5 million from though :-k

If that is the case as well I would be happy with either of them as our LB we should/would be in for them

i'm not so sure. people are questioning the 40m for david luiz deal. but to me, the david luiz deal looks a lot better than the 30m for rio ferdinand. 30m for a young centre back in 2002 is probably equivalent to 50m now for a 23 year old centre back.

a lot of people who are saying its a good deal are saying that purely on the basis that rio ferdinand has done very well for man utd on the pitch. but i'm just not convinced the deal overall represented good value, espeically considering the era in which the deal took place.

regarding shaw, i don't think a club of our stature can justify spending 27m on a 18 yr old left back, even if he does look very very good

No one.

I would rather hope if he is a good coach he can bring the best out of our expensively assembled squad. If he is good at bringing through youth players then Bentaleb and Kane showed enough promise last season to continue with.

Then the are the promising Velkovic and Pritchard. We should not fall into the trap of thinking that just because a player comes from southampton they must be good. Our young players have received similar top coaching they now need the coach to back them and give them game time.

The 4 players I have mentioned all have talent and ability so the is no real difference between them and the southampton academy players.

We should scout for positions we need improving in, such as left back and striker and an assist making midfielder. Then find the best ones our money can buy and who will fit into our team.

i'm not so sure. people are questioning the 40m for david luiz deal. but to me, the david luiz deal looks a lot better than the 30m for rio ferdinand. 30m for a young centre back in 2002 is probably equivalent to 50m now for a 23 year old centre back.

a lot of people who are saying its a good deal are saying that purely on the basis that rio ferdinand has done very well for man utd on the pitch. but i'm just not convinced the deal overall represented good value, espeically considering the era in which the deal took place.

regarding shaw, i don't think a club of our stature can justify spending 27m on a 18 yr old left back, even if he does look very very good

How can 30 million be a bad deal for a defender that played there for 12 seasons and was for a large part of that time one of the best defenders in the world?

David Luiz is an absolute macaron. He doesn't seem to have the ability ot discipline to stay in his position, a rather large problem for the position he plays in. He was usurped by Gary Cahill (I rate Cahill but you get my point)

I just realised that PSG have another CB they bought from Chelsea in Alex! :lol: So they have 4 Brazilian CBs!

Last edited:
No one.

I would rather hope if he is a good coach he can bring the best out of our expensively assembled squad. If he is good at bringing through youth players then Bentaleb and Kane showed enough promise last season to continue with.

Then the are the promising Velkovic and Pritchard. We should not fall into the trap of thinking that just because a player comes from southampton they must be good. Our young players have received similar top coaching they now need the coach to back them and give them game time.

The 4 players I have mentioned all have talent and ability so the is no real difference between them and the southampton academy players.

We should scout for positions we need improving in, such as left back and striker and an assist making midfielder. Then find the best ones our money can buy and who will fit into our team.

agreed

Although I don't think we will, spending £20 million on Shaw would be more than worth it IF he carries on improving as he is. He could then be our left back for the next 10-15 years (unlikely I know) but it's just the same as spending £10 million on a left back in their mid to late twenties.

FB is the least important position on the pitch and you can easily get away with having a decent/pretty good fb if you've got good players in other positions. personally speaking....i don't think there's a FB in world football that is worth spending £20m on.

How can 30 million be a bad deal for a defender that played there for 12 seasons and was for a large part of that time one of the best defenders in the world?

David Luiz is an absolute macaron. He doesn't seem to have the ability ot discipline to stay in his position, a rather large problem for the position he plays in. He was usurped by Gary Cahill (I rate Cahill but you get my point)

i think it was a questionable deal due to the era it occurred in. even today, i would find it highly questionable.

regarding david luiz, i think he is the best of the 3 (luiz, terry, cahill). and is definitely one of the best cb's in the world. the thing is, mourinho likes to play very deep and with the midfielders just in front on the centre backs. and in that environment guys like terry and cahill are perhaps better. david luiz on the other hand is a more modern centre back. he can play well even in isolated positions, and is great 1v1. he is also decent on the ball too and has pace. basically, he is suited to the way most elite teams play (ie. with a high defensive line).

he would slot straight into teams like bayern or barca. part of the reason he was sold for so much is that there was a bidding war between these top sides. showing that many many top teams rate him.

Ideally Shaw and Lovren however I think Shaw will get out of our price range so realistically just Lovren

Lallana I think is too risky for the price. They'll want £20m for him....too likely to be another David Bentley if you ask me. Am not convinced. Get Konoplyanka instead - more what we need in terms of position/abilities

Every club in the premier league has got an extra minimum 50m this year since the tv money went up. Premier League transfer fees are going to grow higher than any other league this summer. There no value in getting players from Southampton. The only reason there is a "Who do you want to follow Poch from Southampton?" and not a "Who do you want to follow Poch from Espagnol" thread is we're more of overpriced premier league players. 26 year old Adam Lallana is not worth 15m+ let alone the 26m+ southampton are after.

FB is the least important position on the pitch and you can easily get away with having a decent/pretty good fb if you've got good players in other positions. personally speaking....i don't think there's a FB in world football that is worth spending £20m on.

They get more time and space on the ball than any other position. Especially for us with the way teams sit back. If you want to break teams down, you need full backs who can do something.

He may struggle but you can say that about any new transfer. Less likely he will with the same manager and same league. Of the players you mentioned Downing is really the only one who is a flop. Young had a few good seasons at Manure and then not sure what happened to him. Lallana had 9 goals 6 assists last season when compared to the likes of Lennon that is a great return.

My concern with him is that we would be paying top dollar for a player off the back of one good season. I think that it is very possible that last season was the peak of a run of form which will tail off soon.

My concern with him is that we would be paying top dollar for a player off the back of one good season. I think that it is very possible that last season was the peak of a run of form which will tail off soon.

Agree
there really must be as good or better for the price they will command

Shaw, Lovren and Lallana are the only ones I think we should be considering.

As for Shaw only leaving for CL football, which of those 4 teams are realistically looking at replacing their current LB for what would be a "possible star player"?

Back