• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who are the biggest bottlers in Europe ?

Who are the biggest underachivers/bottlers in Europe ?

• England

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Spain

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Russia/Soviet Union

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Serbia/Yugoslavia

• Sweden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belgium

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Scotland

• Total voters
Should have included Germany.
West Germany 1954-1990 = 3 WC and 2 Euro
Germany 1992-2012 = 1 Euro

West Germany had the mentality and luck of real champions but Germany has the mentality of bottlers and luck of losers.

Should have included Germany.
West Germany 1954-1990 = 3 WC and 2 Euro
Germany 1992-2012 = 1 Euro

West Germany had the mentality and luck of real champions but Germany has the mentality of bottlers and luck of losers.

Interesting. 20 years isn't a big enough sample though. And to be fair they've still reached numerous, semi finals and finals.

doesn't that make the term "bottler" all the more?.. get to semi's and finals and either not progress or lose in a final.

Well with the exception of this tournament, they were beaten by better teams in most of those games. Lost to Brazil in a final, Spain twice, Italy in 06 who had a great defense.

Interesting. 20 years isn't a big enough sample though. And to be fair they've still reached numerous, semi finals and finals.

That's the difference. West Germany used to reach finals and won it most of the times. Germany are losing it always. They have reached 1 Final and 3 semi finals since 2006 and lost it all. As I said, they have lost the winning mentality and luck of the old West Germany.

That's the difference. West Germany used to reach finals and won it most of the times. Germany are losing it always. They have reached 1 Final and 3 semi finals since 2006 and lost it all. As I said, they have lost the winning mentality and luck of the old West Germany.

If anything they should be better as they have more players to choose from than West Germany did.

If anything they should be better as they have more players to choose from than West Germany did.

True. Which is why the failure to win anything reflects badly on Germany. The most West Germany went without winning any trophy was 18 years, between 1954-1972, when they were still recovering from WW2. At WC2014, it will be 18 years since Germany won Euro96.

England for me. There is always so much talk about the Dutch and their attitude problems, but I think the arrogance of our "golden generation" dwarfs the Dutch. At least the Dutch bottlers actually WERE as good as they thought they were, they just couldn't play as a team. Having said that, I don't know if that makes England bottlers or just deluded.

Back