• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who are the biggest bottlers in Europe ?

Who are the biggest underachivers/bottlers in Europe ?

• England

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Portugal

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Spain

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Russia/Soviet Union

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Serbia/Yugoslavia

• Sweden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belgium

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Scotland

• Total voters

Spurs7891

Jermaine Jenas
When it comes to national teams, who you think are the biggest underachievers of European football ?

Last edited:
The Dutch by a long shot, imv - cosidering their sheer talent over the last 40 odd-years compared to achievements/etc.

I have to choose Netherlands, even if I hate them. They had always produced some great players but have never proved their worth when it comes to international tournaments. They were very lucky to win the Euro 1988, which is why I hate them.

That also goes to Portugal. They always bottle it in major tournaments. Special mention also to teams like Russia and Yugoslavia.

I chose England but in truth it has to be Holland doesnt it. So many top players theyve had but they always end up arguing with each other in major tournaments

It's amazing how many good players Holland produce considering the size of the country. Their population is only about a fifth of Germany's, yet IMO their top players are better than Germany's year on year. The difference is the Germans epitomise efficiency and team work, whereas the Dutch have always had problems with infighting and a disjointed squad. Remember Edgar Davids ranting about how Hiddink and the rest of the coaches were racist?

I'd say England are the biggest bottlers though. We've produced so many fantastic players too but keep choking when it really matters. To have only reached one semi-final in any competition outside of our own country is pathetic considering we've had the likes of Gascogine, Lineker, Keegan, Rooney, Gerrard, Scholes, Shearer etc over the years.

Holland with out a shadow of a doubt England don't come close due to fact they don't bottle it they're just brick

It's amazing how many good players Holland produce considering the size of the country. Their population is only about a fifth of Germany's, yet IMO their top players are better than Germany's year on year. The difference is the Germans epitomise efficiency and team work, whereas the Dutch have always had problems with infighting and a disjointed squad. Remember Edgar Davids ranting about how Hiddink and the rest of the coaches were racist?

I'd say England are the biggest bottlers though. We've produced so many fantastic players too but keep choking when it really matters. To have only reached one semi-final in any competition outside of our own country is pathetic considering we've had the likes of Gascogine, Lineker, Keegan, Rooney, Gerrard, Scholes, Shearer etc over the years.

That isn't quite right. We finished third in the 1968 European Championship in Italy and reached what was effectively the semi-finals in 1980, again in Italy. The finals tournament was still only a maximum of 8 teams up until Euro 96 and was only 4 teams up until 1980. So we often made the 'quarter finals' or 'semi finals' by just qualifying for it.

I don't think we're bottlers really. Just mostly very poor choices for manager from Ramsey onwards. Revie, Greenwood, Robson, Taylor.... a string of crap before the half decent Venables and Hoddle and then a mix bag after. On top of all that, an inability to win a penalty competition. Even then, we haven't won many games in the finals against top opposition but we also haven't lost many either. And not just because of penalties. 1982 World Cup. Never lost a game, no penalties and we went out! ](*,) Only England could do that!

Holland with out a shadow of a doubt England don't come close due to fact they don't bottle it they're just brick

Then how do you explain largely English only teams dominating in Europe up until Heysel? And more of them too: 13 different clubs. Even the Arsenal team that saw off Sampdoria and Parma in 1994 was 1-11 English (with one scotsman on the bench: dingdongov) There was a sprinkling of Scots and Irish but the Europeans generally always had more foreigners on their books. The difference was: management. Clough won back to back European Cups but we overlooked him for Bobby Robson. And then kept him in charge for 8 years! Christ on a bike! ](*,)

Then how do you explain largely English only teams dominating in Europe up until Heysel? And more of them too: 13 different clubs. Even the Arsenal team that saw off Sampdoria and Parma in 1994 was 1-11 English (with one scotsman on the bench: dingdongov) There was a sprinkling of Scots and Irish but the Europeans generally always had more foreigners on their books. The difference was: management. Clough won back to back European Cups but we overlooked him for Bobby Robson. And then kept him in charge for 8 years! Christ on a bike! ](*,)

And England have won what since 66?

Miss the point? We're talking national football team and you're banging on about clough and Liverpool? Which ever way you look at it the England NATIONAL team is poor and has been for many moons now

No, literally you missed the point. I said at the end: we haven't won stuff because of terrible managerial appointments. So why are then asking: what have we won since 1966? We had quality across the board that was badly managed. If we didn't then we wouldn't have dominated European club competitions. And not just Liverpool, who I didn't even mention. What about Spurs in 1972? 14 of the 16 were Englishman. It has all been said before it is almost cliche but still true. We should have built a team around Hoddle but regarded him as a luxury. Gazza and John Barnes also, to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
Comparing teams player for player over the last 3 or 4 decades it has to be Holland, they have produced some superb individuals but as a team never put it together since Gullit and van basten played.

Back