• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When was the last time we...

Re: 27-2......

When was the last time we picked up this many wins against the bottom half, not to mention away?

Only 16 points between 10th and 20th tells its own story, though. This year's relegation safety threshold will surely be one of the lowest of the PL era. Lack of quality throughout, bar the top few. Sadly, the Sky dream is being fulfilled — an oligarchy of top teams that can be offered up as the main product, delivering satisfaction to the majority of plastic fans who get to watch their choice of colour shirt thrash the also-running cannon-fodder every week. It didn't go quite to plan for them Saturday, but in the main, the competitiveness of this league is trending relentlessly downwards, I think.

Only 16 points between 10th and 20th tells its own story, though. This year's relegation safety threshold will surely be one of the lowest of the PL era. Lack of quality throughout, bar the top few. Sadly, the Sky dream is being fulfilled — an oligarchy of top teams that can be offered up as the main product, delivering satisfaction to the majority of plastic fans who get to watch their choice of colour shirt thrash the also-running cannon-fodder every week. It didn't go quite to plan for them Saturday, but in the main, the competitiveness of this league is trending relentlessly downwards, I think.

Not sure I agree with that. Fulham are what, second bottom? They still have a lot of good players and certainly give teams a game. Don't think any of the bottom teams are 'cannon fodder'....

Bloody hell, in the other 24 matches we've averaged 2.29 points, if you times that by 38 you get

How can a team perform like title winners against the smaller teams yet perform like relegation dead certs against the top teams?

I'm actually scratching my head and beyond baffled now, this makes no sense whatsoever!

honestly, it's the fact that despite the doom mongers on this board, we have a very good squad, I've said it multiple times

- A team with Lloris, Walker, Vert, Kaboul, Eriksen, Sandro, Chadli, Dembele, Ade, Soldado in it's line up will beat most teams in the PL in 2nd gear.
- When actually playing a team with close, equal or better players, the side needs to be organized, good team selection, good tactics and motivated.

Both our managers this season have failed miserably at the second item, hence against top teams we constantly look disorganized, unbalanced, lost and unmotivated.

A good manager would massively improve this squad.

Not sure I agree with that. Fulham are what, second bottom? They still have a lot of good players and certainly give teams a game. Don't think any of the bottom teams are 'cannon fodder'....

What? Fulham have won 7 games this season.

Actually think Fulham are another club that shows how much club/manager lack of direction influence on pitch results.

BMJ was struggling and they hired someone completely wrong for the role (read some of the stories) and it's actually gotten worse.

Not sure I agree.

For a long time this season 4 teams could legitimately be called title contenders. A 5th - us - was talked about for a while (well, the first 3 weeks of the championship anyway!). I'm not sure I ever really remember that many teams being in the mix.

Back in the 70's & 80's it was Liverpool every season + one other random challenger like Villa, Forest or Everton. In the 90's it was United, with Arsenal getting the odd look in. But very few others legitimately in with a chance. I guess in the 40's & 50's it was more competitive, but that's really another universe and not really comparable to now.

At the other end of the table, there's always been fodder for the top teams to destroy week in, week out. If you look at games won by relegated teams in recent years v. eras of the past, it's not really that different - if anything, relegated teams were beaten up more in the old days:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_champions

I think in terms of structure the league is better now than ever. 4 or 5 teams at the top competing for the league, another 3 or so competing for CL, and at the bottom loads of teams worried about slipping into trouble. It's 3 or 4 competitive leagues within 1 league. Relatively few teams in the middle have nothing to play for.

What? Fulham have won 7 games this season.

I know, but they are hadrly cannon fodder ie whipping boys. My point was while you would expect to beat teams of this ilk they are no walkover. We've probably suffered more thrashings than they have :)

I know, but they are hadrly cannon fodder ie whipping boys. My point was while you would expect to beat teams of this ilk they are no walkover. We've probably suffered more thrashings than they have :)

Fulham have conceded 3 or more goals in 14 games.

0-6
0-5
0-4
1-4
1-4
2-4

and a bunch of 1-3s and 0-3s

They've actually been the ultimate whipping boys this season:

Points_Distribution_Table.jpg

...Couldn't resist checking so here's what I found -

2006-07: just one defeat by four or more in 49 League and Cup games
2002-03: a total of three defeats of that magnitude in 41 League and Cup games
1998-99: NO defeats by that margin in 53 League and Cup games. Suspect you meant the Gross season 1997-98 but even then we lost by that margin on only three occasions in 44 League and Cup games....

Wow, crazy stats, thanks for posting. Really goes to show how numb I've gotten over the last season. I used to dread big defeats, and seemed to remember that we used to get hammered quite a lot back in the 90's, but maybe we didn't afterall. We did have some awful 7-1 and 6-0 defeats though. 34/35, ****ing hell, that's some stat.

I was also slightly suprised at how few thrashings Spurs received during the 1990s, guess the cloggers we had back then were good for something!

Back