• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When was the last time we...

Re: 27-2......

It's not just the results that irk, it's the style of our play. Next to no combination football. It's all just run as hard as we can and harass the opposition. We get found out against the better teams

I think its symptomatic of having so many changes. For the biggest games, you need a settled team. There just isn't the margin for error that you get in the 'lesser' games. For example, we would not have come back from the mistakes against Southampton if they were a top 4 team.

All season we've had upheaval. From Bale staying/ out, to a load of new players we didn't know what to do with, to changing formations, managers, injuries. As a player if you come into the Spurs side returning from injury or starting to show some form, there is no establish team for you to slot into. Its just a bunch of equally unsure players and manager trying to get by. In fact we've got by okay and some credit is due. But there is almost no consistency or stability.

Agreed.

I think this is the biggest dissapointment of this season. I think it actually highlights the poor organisation and tactics more than anything, as if you have a team that is set up properly, properly drilled and is working well together as a unit, you can frustrate teams much better than you and potentially get results.

I'm not saying we would have won these games, as the teams above us are better and have better players (maybe Everton excepted, but we took 4 points off them), but we were NEVER in any of these games apart from the 1-1 home draw against Chelsea, when AVB's plan was still working from earlier in the season and we were looking very hard to beat.

Clearly, the players raised themselves against Arsenal, as the games against them were very close (even the FA cup tie was until Rose's brainfart).

I could take narrowly losing against Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Liverpool as they are quality teams with some stunning players, like Suarez, Aguero, Silva, Hazard, Oscar etc. Once we sold Bale, we lost any right to expect to compete on even terms with these teams, but we can still organise ourselves as a unit and give them a tough game, especially at White Hart Lane.

It's so annoying and frustrating that none of these teams had to even break sweat against us. Compare us to say, Everton. I bet none of those teams would be looking forward to a trip to Goodison. They'd be thinking this was going to be a real test and even if they manage to win, as their talent carries them through, they'll be coming off that pitch in all liklihood sweating buckets and having been put through the mincer.

I honestly can't have it that a decent manager can't fashion a strong, tough-to-beat team out of what we have, even if we don't have a left-back.

This season has come from having two very inexperienced managers who are out of their depth at a club like ours and are both learning on the job and making mistakes. That isn't good enough and while I don't want him out, as i think overall he is a good chairman, Levy and the board really have f***ed up in his post-Redknapp decisions/choices.

Win and a draw against Arsenal, which we perhaps deserved, then we'd be above them and in top4.
There are positives to take into next season, we can reach our aim if we do well in recruitment and preparation over the summer.
This season has been the most boring I can remember though

FWIW the last time that Spurs failed to beat any of the Top 4 was 2005-06 and the last time we only managed a solitary point against the Top 4 was 1996-97 :-&

does anyone have to hand the records for Arsenal Everton and United against the top 4/3 - just for comparison purposes ?

ARSEnal just as woeful as us away to the Top 3 but undefeated at home, same goes for Everton, ManU also only got 1pt against Top 3 but at least they got 4pts against ARSEnal...

Why is so much emphasis placed on beating the top four? Its all I hear and its what was aimed at Harry as one of the reasons for him being '****'

If we won our games against the lesser sides this season we WOULD be top four right now. Beating the others will win you the league but baby steps yeah.

IF we had beaten West Ham, West Brom and Norwich we would be sitting 4th ahead of Arsenal by 1pt but all the top 4 have slipped up against "lesser" opponents so those games actually don't get you 4th.

Beating the teams above us not only gets us 3pts it denies them 3pts. That is the difference between fighting for fourth and sitting comfortably in 4th.

My concern is not the losing to top 4 teams but the manner of the defeats.

lost by 4 or more goals on 5 occasions in a season?

I await for your answers.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15116-1379271557-26.gif

:lol: instead of watching Spurs next game, I'd be tempted to watch that Cookie Monster Gif for 90 minutes. At least I know that that won't disappoint me.

Hmm...the 2006-07 season with Jol?
Or was it Hoddle's last full season, 2002-2003?
If not either of those then has to be the Francis/Gross season of 1998/99 surely?

Hmm...the 2006-07 season with Jol?
Or was it Hoddle's last full season, 2002-2003?
If not either of those then has to be the Francis/Gross season of 1998/99 surely?

First off, great post by magna.

Couldn't resist checking so here's what I found -

2006-07: just one defeat by four or more in 49 League and Cup games
2002-03: a total of three defeats of that magnitude in 41 League and Cup games
1998-99: NO defeats by that margin in 53 League and Cup games. Suspect you meant the Gross season 1997-98 but even then we lost by that margin on only three occasions in 44 League and Cup games.

I'm pretty certain you have to go all the way back to season 1934-35 when we lost six games by a margin of four or more, all of them in the League. A season when we were decimated by injuries (iykyh!) and were relegated from the top flight.

Wouldn't surprise me if you had to go back to our relegation season in '76/'77.
We conceded four or more on five occasions that season but only three of those defeats were by a margin of four or more.

I'm assuming the op means defeats by four clear goals or more. In which case, as I mentioned above, it was 1934-35.

1998-99: NO defeats by that margin in 53 League and Cup games. Suspect you meant the Gross season 1997-98 but even then we lost by that margin on only three occasions in 44 League and Cup games.

I'm pretty certain you have to go all the way back to season 1934-35 when we lost six games by a margin of four or more, all of them in the League. A season when we were decimated by injuries (iykyh!) and were relegated from the top flight.

When did we play our "starting XI" for more than 2 games in a row without suffering from injuries this season?

When did we play our "starting XI" for more than 2 games in a row without suffering from injuries this season?
Fair point, even so we've used seven fewer so far than the 36 used in 1934-35. It was different back then because no subs were allowed whereas now we have the concept of a squad system of 25 plus youngsters that allows three subs per game, making straight comparisons difficult.

Wow, crazy stats, thanks for posting. Really goes to show how numb I've gotten over the last season. I used to dread big defeats, and seemed to remember that we used to get hammered quite a lot back in the 90's, but maybe we didn't afterall. We did have some awful 7-1 and 6-0 defeats though. 34/35, ****ing hell, that's some stat.

My concern is not the losing to top 4 teams but the manner of the defeats.

This, we didn't just lose to the top 4 teams, we got smashed by them. I think we were unlucky/sloppy early on in a couple of them but generally we were terrible and got showed up.

We need a good manager to come in, someone with experience of managing a top side, someone that Levy can trust and then we need them to get the new signings playing to their potential as well as bringing in a couple of top players, preferably with a bit of pace. Levy needs to hand the money to the new manager and let them get on with it.

I've seen some delightful little touches from Soldado to believe that he can be a good player for us, same went for Lamela in a couple of Europa league games early on. I think with the right manager, a good style of play and time to settle we could see a good side emerge and we wont get a repeat of this season. If Tims in charge next season then I give up.

So that means in the other 24 matches our form is

P24 W17 D4 L3 F38 A17 GD 21 Pts 55

but then our form in the other 8 (against the top four) is

P8 W0 D1 L7 F2 A27 GD -25 Pts 1

Completely and utterly baffling. If Timterim goes then whoever comes in has one hell of a head scratching job to do, incredible.

Last edited:

... Levy and the board really have f***ed up in his post-Redknapp decisions/choices.

I'd be prepared to go even further back than that, and I'd be reluctant to give him true credit for making just about any decent choice of appointee that wasn't forced on him. Jol was Arnesen's man, wasn't he? And appointing Redknapp was an act of sheer desperation at the time — the Hollywood wrist-grab of the character who's hanging on by his fingernails, about to plummet a thousand feet to his certain death. Any evidence in there of perspicacity on Danny's part is lost in the noise for me, I'm afraid.

Bloody hell, in the other 24 matches we've averaged 2.29 points, if you times that by 38 you get

How can a team perform like title winners against the smaller teams yet perform like relegation dead certs against the top teams?

I'm actually scratching my head and beyond baffled now, this makes no sense whatsoever!

Back