• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

When was the last season that we were 'ruthless' in terms of finishing chances created?

Didnt we goal a goal down v Wigan before putting nine past them.

Defoe got five in the second half I think.

That was pretty potent.

Ruthless finishing is rare in football. Most games see only 1 or 2 goals scored by teams. On goals scored, you might say we're in a purple patch now. Last season and this we have scored a lot of goals compared to other teams and our recent records!

The frustration is that we create so much, but don't finish as well as we might. Its our style of play but also a maturing side. The most senior attacking players are 24! Twenty four.

Last edited:
29 September 1962
Haven't looked it up but let me guess ..

Spurs 9-3 Forest? Or was it 9-2? Was at WHL for that but it's a long time ago.

We had a run of about six games when we scored something like 30 but conceded almost half as many. Think we whacked Man U for six in that run too. Was also a 4-4 in there, we had a few of those in the 60s.

Last season we won 6 league games by one goal and 13 times by more than one goal although the batterings really came in the middle of the season when we had arguably less expectation on us and we're really kicking on

We do seem to take time to get going full pelt but the game that kick started us properly last season was The city at home game which was our 6th league fixture

We had a run of about six games when we scored something like 30 but conceded almost half as many. Think we whacked Man U for six in that run too. Was also a 4-4 in there, we had a few of those in the 60s.

I remember that season, we also lost 5-2 on Easter Friday to Liverpool and then kicked their arses 7-2 on Easter Monday. We also spanked the Smamers 6-1 that season.

Last time we were ruthless in finishing chances was under AVB in 2012/13 when we used to send the opposition to sleep with our sideways passing before Bale would score a 30 yard screamer with our first shot every game.

Funny, but not really fair on that side!

I remember that season, we also lost 5-2 on Easter Friday to Liverpool and then kicked their arses 7-2 on Easter Monday. We also spanked the Smamers 6-1 that season.
Yep, remember that too, the 7-2 win vs Liverpoo was one of the most enthralling ever, up there with the 8-1 vs Gornik in my book. (The 9-2 vs Forest was less so because they were so GHod-awful.)

Just checked out the game on 29.9.62 referenced by KDDDD and the extraordinary goal-glut it triggered, an aggregate of 32-10 in just seven games:

W: 9-2 Forest (h)
D: 4-4 Arse (h)
W: 2-1 WBA (a)
W: 6-2 Man U (h)
W: 5-1 Leyton O (a)
W: 4-0 Leicester C (h)
W: 2-0 Fulham (a)

Typical Tottenham we then went on to score just twice in the following four fixtures, incurring two defeats and a couple of draws. Our inconsistency totally did for us that season, leaving us uncomfortably adrift of champions Everton.

Didn't we score the second most goals in the league last season? The most shots and the best shot accuracy?
Hopefully Pochettino can also get our shot-conversion-rate up to that of title winners this season...

Shot Conversion Rate (top of the table)

Current: Spurs 12.7% (Emirates Marketing Project 23.4%)
2016: Spurs 14.5% (Leicester 17.3%)
2015: Spurs 15.5% (Chelsea 17.6%)
2014: Spurs 13.1% (Emirates Marketing Project 20.1%)
2013: Spurs 13.5% (Man Utd 19.9%)
2012: Spurs 13.0% (Emirates Marketing Project 17.7%)
2011: Spurs 12.0% (Man Utd 16.9%)
2010: Spurs 13.4% (Chelsea 16.4%)

Last edited:
Hopefully Pochettino can also get our shot-conversion-rate up to that of title winners this season...

Could be difficult because this season teams seem even more set-up to throttle our attacks and rely on the counter than they were last. Kane especially seems more targeted, defenders are launching themselves at him en masse the moment he gets a sniff.

So we may well have to settle for a few more 1-0s this time round.

We also take more shots than most so that scews the average. Using the average conversion logic of we had 20 shots and scored 3 we would have 15% conversion but it doesn't take into account where and when those shots were taken

I honestly think we're the English equivalent of that side and said so last season.
“They both like to have a team that works very hard,” Alderweireld says. “And they work us very hard. The pressing is similar as well. There are differences. Pochettino likes to play from the back, with the buildup, have the ball. But they are both winners. They want to win everything. They want to win every game.”

Yeah 9-2 was a good season for lots of goals. I just mentioned it as it was the anniversary on the date of posting, was also the last season for about 20 years that I went to most home games as playing was always better than watching.

We also take more shots than most so that scews the average. Using the average conversion logic of we had 20 shots and scored 3 we would have 15% conversion but it doesn't take into account where and when those shots were taken
I believe that's where the Shot Efficiency metric (Goals Scored / Expected Goals) comes in.

Once again, 2014/15 is shown to be our most ruthless of recent campaigns. Had the players been so clinical with their finishing last season, we should've scored an additional 9 goals...

Current: Spurs 0.94 (Emirates Marketing Project 1.33)
2016: Spurs 1.01 (Leicester 1.14)
2015: Spurs 1.14 (Chelsea 1.04)
2014: Spurs 0.90 (Emirates Marketing Project 1.26)
2013: Spurs 1.07 (Man Utd 1.14)
2012: Spurs 1.05 (Emirates Marketing Project 1.19)
2011: Spurs 0.93 (Man Utd 1.14)

I believe that's where the Shot Efficiency metric (Goals Scored / Expected Goals) comes in.

Once again, 2014/15 is shown to be our most ruthless of recent campaigns. Had the players been so clinical with their finishing last season, we should've scored an additional 9 goals...

Current: Spurs 0.94 (Emirates Marketing Project 1.33)
2016: Spurs 1.01 (Leicester 1.14)
2015: Spurs 1.14 (Chelsea 1.04)
2014: Spurs 0.90 (Emirates Marketing Project 1.26)
2013: Spurs 1.07 (Man Utd 1.14)
2012: Spurs 1.05 (Emirates Marketing Project 1.19)
2011: Spurs 0.93 (Man Utd 1.14)

That may be a better measure as that uses likelihood of a goal from a chance doesn't it??

14-15 was pretty good - I see @SteveAWOL 's stats back that up, but I felt like we were far more clinical that year. 09-10, by contrast, felt to me like a season where we wasted quite a few chances, but scored a lot anyway (true of most seasons under Redknapp, really, barring 08-09 - that was the last time before 14/15 that I felt like we were really clinical throughout the post-Ramos campaign). Either way, it's a luxurious position to take, since I'm sure most teams would rather create a lot and miss a lot than create very little and only potentially take those chances when they come.

It's simple: the more we dominate possession, the more teams sit back, the more difficult it becomes to penetrate a crowded box, the more we're forced to try shots from range

But also, the less width we deploy, the less chance we have of getting in behind defences, so again the more we're forced to try shots from range.

Another factor is the early goal... Something we haven't been that great at

As highlighted by @Spur of the moment above teams defend deeper and sit back against us but that changes when we take the lead

Generally when we batter sides we get a goal to more in ten first half and the opposition can't keep up with us. Then get caught in the trap of stick or twist whereas we never really change our system

Back