• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

I’ve just started Cinema Speculation by Tarantino, he writes like he speaks, I find myself reading it at 100mph to keep up with him.

Enjoying it very much.

I’ve just finished this book. I read your post and it peaked my interest.

Utterly bleak and pretty scary.

Just started reading Cormack McCarthy.
Half way through The Road. Also got Blood Meridian and The passenger on the kindle.
McCarthy is bleak but a lovely writer. And yes, isn't Nuclear War...a scary read?!

Went for something lighter and more heartwarming this time then ;)
Yes 🤣 Been reading the Terminal list type easy to digest stuff. Fancied a change.

I try to keep it varied so fancied something different and after the nuclear war book I was in that type of mood.

Read a lot of history stuff and memoirs.

With The Jocks by Peter White and Mission France - The History of the women of SOE
By Kate Vigurs
The Walls have Ears by Helen Fry about the bugging of captured Nazis at Trent Park and beyond.

To name a few good ones I’ve read recently

McCarthy is bleak but a lovely writer. And yes, isn't Nuclear War...a scary read?!
Very scary stuff. Liked the way it was set out minute by minute and learned a lot from it .

Understandable the quote that pops up that the living will envy the dead.

Horrific to think that’s how we could erase humanity.

Also how close we’ve been to it in the past.

The Road is an amazing book. No country for old men too. Been saving his last two books for a while, as they can be demanding to read - maybe for the holidays I'll pick one up.

Currently reading Demon Copperhead, a sort of coming of age tale of rednecks, poverty and drug abuse set in rural West Virginia, written from the redneck point of view. Would definitely recommend it. Complex and believable characters, great storyline and very well written, IMO.

The Road is an amazing book. No country for old men too. Been saving his last two books for a while, as they can be demanding to read - maybe for the holidays I'll pick one up.

Currently reading Demon Copperhead, a sort of coming of age tale of rednecks, poverty and drug abuse set in rural West Virginia, written from the redneck point of view. Would definitely recommend it. Complex and believable characters, great storyline and very well written, IMO.
Loved the No Country for old men film re watched it recently. The book is on the list to read I’m sure it will be better.

I've read all of McCarthy's books. Some, such as Blood Meridian are often challenging/demanding, but Child of GHod is a quick and disturbing read. He has invented a multitude of insane characters in his time!

Loved the No Country for old men film re watched it recently. The book is on the list to read I’m sure it will be better.
I read the book before the movie, which is probably why the book edges it for me. Loved the movie too, though, such brilliant acting. Though Anton Chirguh was an even more disturbing character in the book.

I've read all of McCarthy's books. Some, such as Blood Meridian are often challenging/demanding, but Child of GHod is a quick and disturbing read. He has invented a multitude of insane characters in his time!
Haven't read his oldest books, but should probably give them a go too. Thought Blood Meridian was fantastic, but as you say not an easy read. Whis is a big reason as to why I have postponed reading his two last books.

I read the book before the movie, which is probably why the book edges it for me. Loved the movie too, though, such brilliant acting. Though Anton Chirguh was an even more disturbing character in the book.
Books always tend to edge the films / TV series that get made as an after thought.

Looking forward to reading it.

it's a house of cards

the other thing that got me, how quickly it would all happen, in less time than my daily commute the northern hemisphere would be a firestorm
I know seems crazy that we have the capability to End most of humanity in less than an hour. Also as much as it’s worked so far “ deterrents “ does feel pretty flimsy in terms of keeping the world from catastrophe.

Scary stuff.

I know seems crazy that we have the capability to End most of humanity in less than an hour. Also as much as it’s worked so far “ deterrents “ does feel pretty flimsy in terms of keeping the world from catastrophe.

Scary stuff.

I’m sure we will survive. The idea of nuclear winter comes from science fiction.

It’s just another way of instilling fear. Stay indoors for a few days, let the dust settle and get back to work on the Monday.

Back