• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

Honestly mate I don’t know who they’re trying to appeal to by changing the language in old books. I don’t know anyone who thought it was a good idea, glad they’ve come to their senses. If you read any of the James Bond books you’ll notice within the first few pages how misogynistic the books are and how much of a bastard Bond is. But they are a reflection of the era they were written in. No need to change history, just learn from it. It’s actually a good learning exercise to teach young people why it’s wrong to use that type of language in this day and age and more than anything it highlights how far we have come. Doesn’t mean there isn’t still work to do, but we can acknowledge that things have improved.
And the thing is its fiction, James Bond takes the character of that kinda person, they exist in real life, but the books are not promoting the idea but you have to have some characteristics to your cast. Otherwise there would be no such thing as a creative story ever, like the debate on the film thread about stories about obese people, they are not personal to the reader or view, its fiction, if your so soft you can't differentiate between creative fiction and personal attacks then GHod help ya

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Honestly mate I don’t know who they’re trying to appeal to by changing the language in old books. I don’t know anyone who thought it was a good idea, glad they’ve come to their senses. If you read any of the James Bond books you’ll notice within the first few pages how misogynistic the books are and how much of a bastard Bond is. But they are a reflection of the era they were written in. No need to change history, just learn from it. It’s actually a good learning exercise to teach young people why it’s wrong to use that type of language in this day and age and more than anything it highlights how far we have come. Doesn’t mean there isn’t still work to do, but we can acknowledge that things have improved.

Tbh it’s a marketing masterclass from Penguin/Puffin.

Confect a “culture war” on the fertile ground of so-called cancel culture knowing full-well that the Mail, Telegraph, Talk Radio etc will take the bait = untold column inches, news reports, social posts and radio phone-ins all talking about your IP / brand, when in reality nothing much has changed: the originals stay in print, the news ones tweaked to fit the Netflix sensibilities.

The country needs to up its mental health outreach if people are honestly unable to distinguish between fictional satire and personal attacks. I am a bigger guy but it would take a hella a mental weakness to read willy wonka and take Augusta Gloops character as a personal taunt.

I need to find some new history reading, might research some post WW2 stuff and formation of German post war. Annie Jacobsens "Operation Paperclip" was sensational and a real eye opener

On your WW2 point, try:

Promise Me… Just, incredible. Heavy subject matter. Really important book I think.

BCA5433C-01C6-4E1B-BBA7-B70A0B3614DB.jpeg

-

Aftermath:

B8DC2B6F-FBE5-4E68-A5D7-02E837763122.jpeg

-

And I saw this yesterday, haven’t picked it up yet but looks good, and along similar lines to The Ratline by Philippe Sands which I’d recommend.

C8F62B74-027D-4709-AFC3-7444A593112E.jpeg

Just finished this, but I struggle with books so listened on audible.
A great “listen”

Attachments

• 94C01351-AE17-4A13-A3D5-A7C84F339397.jpeg
    94C01351-AE17-4A13-A3D5-A7C84F339397.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 5

trying to appeal to people who wouldn’t buy the books in their original form, make the customer base bigger

some people are offended by such things, each person draws their own line

I think sometimes people get annoyed that other peoples sensitivities are considered

trying to appeal to people who wouldn’t buy the books in their original form, make the customer base bigger

I think sometimes people get annoyed that other peoples sensitivities are considered

Perplexation more than anger. Perplexed that people would be offended by the use of the word fat, used to describe a fictional character. Such are the times though I imagine

Perplexation more than anger. Perplexed that people would be offended by the use of the word fat, used to describe a fictional character. Such are the times though I imagine

for some yeah, but not understanding the feelings of others doesn’t make those feelings wrong

inclusivity is a good thing, I was perplexed at the reaction, you’d think they were burning all originals

just let people be happy

for some yeah, but not understanding the feelings of others doesn’t make those feelings wrong

inclusivity is a good thing, I was perplexed at the reaction, you’d think they were burning all originals

just let people be happy

No one is saying that people should not be happy but if you wittle everything down to sometime those that represent the smaller domination of those that are offended then you will literally have zero left? Every character will have to be tall but short, black and white and fat and thin to please everyone, thats the nature of trying to make everyone happy

No one is saying that people should not be happy but if you wittle everything down to sometime those that represent the smaller domination of those that are offended then you will literally have zero left? Every character will have to be tall but short, black and white and fat and thin to please everyone, thats the nature of trying to make everyone happy

they were not taking anything away, they were creating an alternate version

there are millions of the original works out there, and on digital book stores, its addictive, not reductive

there is a difference between making everyone happy, and not intentionally making someone unhappy

they were not taking anything away, they were creating an alternate version

there are millions of the original works out there, and on digital book stores, its addictive, not reductive

there is a difference between making everyone happy, and not intentionally making someone unhappy

I doubt writers and creators go out the way to intentionally offend people with use of the word fat to describe a fictional character but alas there you go, if people can't distinguish between fiction and the reality of their own lives then I would suggest that they may be slightly over sensitive.

If you took into account what could possibly be a cause for offense in what is our crazy modern you would be over stretched and get nowhere quickly.

I doubt writers and creators go out the way to intentionally offend people with use of the word fat to describe a fictional character but alas there you go, if people can't distinguish between fiction and the reality of their own lives then I would suggest that they may be slightly over sensitive.

If you took into account what could possibly be a cause for offense in what is our crazy modern you would be over stretched and get nowhere quickly.

that's just one of the words, it was likely a totting up process

some people might be "over sensitive" but they are still potential customers

This is the bee's nuts:

9780500252376.jpg

Great stories from one of the two principal partners in UK design firm Hipgnosis. From the late '60 into the '80s, they created some of rock music's most iconic album covers and jackets as well as designing staging for arena/stadium concerts for many of the world's biggest recording artists - Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Paul McCartney, 10cc, Black Sabbath, T.Rex, Genesis/Peter Gabriel, Bad Company, Humble Pie and many others.

Money was often no object and the designers held back nothing in their ideas to create iconic images - including proposing carving a huge Led Zeppelin 'Zoso' logo amongst the ancient animal geoglyphs on Peru's Plains of Nazca. No act of enormity was ever ruled out. And the best of their work was done long before computers made graphic art much easier to do. Always loved this shot from the inside of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Trilogy album;

0a03e31ef2577e5f1bf001b40f1a2550.jpg

Same thing with Enid Blyton, massive racist but as a kid I couldn't put the books down. Read all the secret seven and famous five multiple time - think they'd all be considered out of place in the modern day but people can still distinguish between morally right/wrong and if they can't we can educate them. Wonder how many parents don't let their kids read these type of books anymore.

As Grays said, more puzzled rather than annoyed. Ideally we want society to be strong resilient, you’ll end up with a very neurotic society if you cater to the needs of the most overly sensitive people in the world. Seems like 90% of people don’t care about stories like this, but it’s the ultra sensitive 10% who are making the rules for everyone else when it should be the other way round. I object to things in the bible and various other holy books but I’m not asking anyone to alter them, I just don’t read them.

As Grays said, more puzzled rather than annoyed. Ideally we want society to be strong resilient, you’ll end up with a very neurotic society if you cater to the needs of the most overly sensitive people in the world. Seems like 90% of people don’t care about stories like this, but it’s the ultra sensitive 10% who are making the rules for everyone else when it should be the other way round. I object to things in the bible and various other holy books but I’m not asking anyone to alter them, I just don’t read them.
Said better than I could

I look at things like Tarrentino films and obviously his genre, story structure, language and characters probably raise more debate and hate than many others, but his view is if you don't like don't watch, which I think is a fair reposte because as I've said before it's his creative and the players are fictional, if people can't get their head round that it's probably not for them.

Should we be dictating to artist about what their creative should be about? I think that's a dangerous route to take and taking that further should we be taking our own creative licence to their work because of complaints? Again not for me

Said better than I could

I look at things like Tarrentino films and obviously his genre, story structure, language and characters probably raise more debate and hate than many others, but his view is if you don't like don't watch, which I think is a fair reposte because as I've said before it's his creative and the players are fictional, if people can't get their head round that it's probably not for them.

Should we be dictating to artist about what their creative should be about? I think that's a dangerous route to take and taking that further should we be taking our own creative licence to their work because of complaints? Again not for me

I love QT. He never apologises for work, if you don’t like it then go the fudge away. That’s his mantra. Some journalist gave him brick when he was promoting Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for not giving Margot Robbie enough lines. The question was preposterous when you consider he has made women key and central figures in most of his films. His track record speaks for itself. He gave the journalist the short shrift she deserved. He could have also said “it’s my fudging film. You direct your own movie and you can do what you want but you can’t make a movie and you didn’t make one”.

I love QT. He never apologises for work, if you don’t like it then go the fudge away. That’s his mantra. Some journalist gave him brick when he was promoting Once Upon A Time In Hollywood for not giving Margot Robbie enough lines. The question was preposterous when you consider he has made women key and central figures in most of his films. His track record speaks for itself. He gave the journalist the short shrift she deserved. He could have also said “it’s my fudging film. You direct your own movie and you can do what you want but you can’t make a movie and you didn’t make one”.
Yeh I love him, absolute master....I did enjoy this l...

341a23bea76f01d9b4810d2e82cc0643.jpg

We’re not talking about banning anything, we are talking about alternative edits for diverse audiences.

Kind of like when movies on TV had the sex scenes edited out for pre-watershed broadcast.

I expect there were similar reactions to that when it first started.

We’re not talking about banning anything, we are talking about alternative edits for diverse audiences.

Kind of like when movies on TV had the sex scenes edited out for pre-watershed broadcast.

I expect there were similar reactions to that when it first started.
As was I, not sure an edited version of Django would work though TBH.

I would suspect the pre watershed stuff though was to be sensitive to underage kids seeing sex scenes, drug use and hearing swearing though.

Back