• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

Two on the go at the minute, Daniel Friebe’s book on Jan Ullrich, and Safe Houses by Dan Fesperman.

Both very enjoyable so far.

Didn't know about the Ullrich book. Will definitely read that. Daniel Friebe is an excellent journalist too. Thanks for the heads up.

Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John Mandel.

9780593321447.jpg

Apparently it's a sci-fi novel because it involves time travel. Much more to it. Great read.

Clearing out my mum’s house and found a load of Roald Dahl books. Reckon they’re safe to read given how a lot of the language is being changed to become less “offensive”?

They’ve done a u-turn and are going to print his books as they were originally written. Common sense prevails.

The country needs to up its mental health outreach if people are honestly unable to distinguish between fictional satire and personal attacks. I am a bigger guy but it would take a hella a mental weakness to read willy wonka and take Augusta Gloops character as a personal taunt.

I need to find some new history reading, might research some post WW2 stuff and formation of German post war. Annie Jacobsens "Operation Paperclip" was sensational and a real eye opener

wasn't the whole Dahl thing simply that one publisher was going to release a new collection with updated language?

the originals would still be available

Quote from David Allen Green's blog

And then the twist.

There was never any censorship, all along.

All that happened is that a capitalistic publisher, presumably with the consent of the Dahl estate, issued alternate versions of certain texts so as to generate purchases which otherwise may not have been made.

None of the original texts are out of print.

None of the original texts were going to go out of print.

This was just an attempt by a publisher to appeal to an additional audience, who may not care for the original texts.

There was no censor, no censure, no clamour.

The alarmed audience for this short drama have been misled.

So the moral for this tale is that never get carried away with a panic, even – perhaps especially – when it is an author you once enjoyed (or think you enjoyed) reading yourself.

wasn't the whole Dahl thing simply that one publisher was going to release a new collection with updated language?

the originals would still be available

Quote from David Allen Green's blog

The run was to replace the originals though not to update them per say, they were not going to run in conjunction with, which is where people had issue with it. The U-turn means the 17 are released as was

The run was to replace the originals though not to update them per say, they were not going to run in conjunction with, which is where people had issue with it. The U-turn means the 17 are released as was

I don’t think that is right. The Penguin publication is originals, it was just the Puffin ones with more inclusive language.

I don’t think that is right. The Penguin publication is originals, it was just the Puffin ones with more inclusive language.
From the state I read in week from the company owning the rights they wanted to phase it out completely after paying for a review, I could be wrong but it read that they were phasing out the old text completely

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

I need to find some new history reading, might research some post WW2 stuff and formation of German post war. Annie Jacobsens "Operation Paperclip" was sensational and a real eye opener
Her books are brilliant
I'm part way through her book on Area 51 currently

The country needs to up its mental health outreach if people are honestly unable to distinguish between fictional satire and personal attacks. I am a bigger guy but it would take a hella a mental weakness to read willy wonka and take Augusta Gloops character as a personal taunt.

Honestly mate I don’t know who they’re trying to appeal to by changing the language in old books. I don’t know anyone who thought it was a good idea, glad they’ve come to their senses. If you read any of the James Bond books you’ll notice within the first few pages how misogynistic the books are and how much of a bastard Bond is. But they are a reflection of the era they were written in. No need to change history, just learn from it. It’s actually a good learning exercise to teach young people why it’s wrong to use that type of language in this day and age and more than anything it highlights how far we have come. Doesn’t mean there isn’t still work to do, but we can acknowledge that things have improved.

Back