• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would you have done differently?

Ginola99

Steven Caulker
If you was AVB what would you have done differently (either tactics, formations or players chosen) given the games that we have played so far?

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A)
West Brom (H) - Adebayor start for Defoe
Norwich (H) - Adebayor start for Defoe, Dembele start for Livermore, Towsend on for Ekotto and swap Bale and let him attack from deep.
Reading (A) - What comes next? I would go with Adebeyor for Defoe, Dembele for Livermore, Dempsey for Sigurdsson, Carrol on the bench

For me we have just been too predictable. Livermore and Sandro should not be playing together other than very few games or to close a game out. They just don't know what to do when we have the ball, don't have the movement to create space or receive and don't have abilities to create chances. Their individual passing stats might be high but they are playing safe all the time.

I think AVB has also been too loyal to Defoe. There is a time and place for that but for me now is the time to get brutal. Adebeyor starts with Defoe coming off the bench when suitable. Overall I dont think AVD has done that much wrong but now with Dembele and Dempsey available we now have options that were not initially.

Kept Bale left and Lennon right all game every game. It has never once worked when they switch, I have never seen us do anything good or worthwhile after switching them, and on the games where they switch back we immediately look a better attacking team. Somehow both Harry and AVB have decided that it's a good idea to switch them around though, so there must be something they've seen in training... I just don't get it.

Forget all about 4-2-3-1.

Play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 at home (depending on how the other team set up) and 4-5-1 away converting to 4-3-3 for breakaways.

In before :

Not playing Jenas,
Bale as striker,
Toms Carroll and Huddlestone in the middle,
BAE as a deep lying playmaker,
Bringing back Dawson,
Walker as a winger,
Sweeper Keeper.

Don't think the first two games he had much options

Today

- Started with one of Sandro/Livermore, not both
- Would have started with Ade & JD upfront
- Would have kept the width, by keeping Lennon/Bale wide, similar to what we did with WBA game
- Would not have taken off Sig (without him on field, our set piece options go to complete brick)
- Would have tried to play a higher tempo game

Option would have been Dembele similar to today.

Some odd subs. In the first few games and again today. Maybe now we can see why he didn't fancy the Hudd earlier in the season.
Today
-would have started Defoe but swapped for Ade after an hour as Defoe couldn't hold up a toothbrush today.
-would have left Sig on he's due a goal.
-Never start with two defensive mids against norwich. To Dare is To Do. We should set up to smash them up.
-Would Started Dembele alongside Sandro
-Same formation but keep width

VDV and Dawson would've started every game.
VDV would still be here, even if it meant funding a chopper to fly him to/from Germany!

we still score, we still have possession. but we concede late.

For Reading:
- Keep Brad: he deserved it
- Start: Ade for Defoe, Dempsey for Siggy, Dembele for Livermore
- Subs: Dawson for Gallas

we need to attack and get our first win!

Work on clearing second (and third) balls on the penalty area. This is no different from under Harry. Last season we let in a lot of goals from not clearing the ball properly and this season we've already let in three. It's a bloody disgrace we can't clear our lines.

In terms of selection:

Dembele in for Livermore. But we haven't seem Dembele in training and maybe it was best to bring him on as a sub rather than start him and see he hasn't adjusted to our set up and his new team-mates yet.

In an ideal world, Ade in for Defoe too, but again we haven't seen training, and Ade obviously wasn't fit enough to start.

In terms of tactics:

Encourage more use of the goalkeeper. Brad is experienced, he may not be the best with the ball at his feet but I think we should have trusted him more. The first half was an absolute shambles in how we couldn't get the ball down and kept letting it bounce in the air. Norwich squeezed us and we couldn't get through it. We couldn't keep possession but there were no gaps to play through. If we are going to be a possession side we need to use the keeper more.

Full backs bomb on more. Much improved in the second half, but in the first half Benny especially seemed really reluctant to attack the space he was given. He seemed to want to be a provider rather than an outlet, but if we are going to play two sitting players then I feel he must be an outlet for them. Lennon and Bale don't always have to be hit quickly, and both have the intelligence to play a patient game and wait for full back support IMO.

Brad, Walker-Gallas-Verts-Benny, Sandro-Dembele-Sigurdsson, Dempsey-Ade-Bale.

subs: Lloris, Naughton, Caulker, Livermore, Jenas, Lennon, Defoe

I'd go with that for Reading. Other than that, would not change a single thing. Give Avb time, he kn

Yesterday I would have started with Adebayor and Dembele instead of Defoe and Livermore. That's all.

Fit a system to the players not players into a system.

..and the opposition. 2 holding players at home against West Brom and Norwich. It's inviting them onto us. It's ok away from home or against a top team. But against those teams at home you go out to attack.

I would have started Ade and Dembele yesterday

overall though all 4 goals we have conceded were the direct result of stupidity, by players who are experienced enough to know better, you can't really do anything about that

..and the opposition. 2 holding players at home against West Brom and Norwich. It's inviting them onto us. It's ok away from home or against a top team. But against those teams at home you go out to attack.

is unnacceptable

Back