• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What transfer activity do you expect if De Boer gets the job?

The Journeyman

Andy Turner
I could see the club cutting its losses on Lamela & Soldado regardless of who comes in. If we got a combined 30 million for the two, perhaps even from their old clubs, I think we'd take that.

I worry Lloris will want to go irrespective of whoever's appointed. I could also see De Boer not giving Kaboul a new contract and perhaps dispensing with Lennon. Paulinho or his agent clearly fancies a move, and that could happen too.

Incomings? Veltman & Blind from Ajax sound plausible and would improve our defence. Krul maybe for Lloris. I think we've abundant personnel in midfield, even if we were to lose Paulinho. Lukaku would be great obviously, if we can swing that. Bony might be another good option up top.

How about this for a squad to start next season:

Krul, Friedel, Archer; Walker, Naughton, Vertonghen, Veltman, Dawson, Chiriches, Blind, Rose; Sandro, Dembele, Bentaleb, Capoue; Eriksen, Chadli, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Townsend; Lukaku, Adebayor, Kane

will speculate WHEN fdb gets the job, a bit too speculative for me now.

just to clarify - don't mean to be a wet blanket, but i've changed after the hazard incident. going to wait until i see the player (or manager) in the shirt.

Last edited:
I think it maybe time to be ruthless and axe some of the "fans favourites" who are maybe not good enough. Our problem over the years is we keep average players at the club because the fans love them because they are "top guys" and maybe not because of their ability.

I really think the last thing we need is another squad overhaul.

A 30 million loss on lamela and soldado, especially lamela, for a club of our size, is an unacceptable loss tbh. I can't see lamela especially being moved on.

I really think the last thing we need is another squad overhaul.

A 30 million loss on lamela and soldado, especially lamela, for a club of our size, is an unacceptable loss tbh. I can't see lamela especially being moved on.

Lamela will be a star, just needs a run.

I rate Soldado and would keep him. So I'd hope FDB does too. As to who he'd bring in, lord knows, but I can see a few of the non technical players moving on...

I think part of the brief will be to get lamela and soldado performing.

Will probably see eriksen cutting in from LM ( like modric did while he was toughened up) and lamela just off the front man.
Which might work as soldado holds the ball up well and lamela seemed to score from that deep striker role ( with freedom to move) at Roma.

I think, no matter who is in charge, we will strengthen the defence only.
And a couple of midfielders will leave. Probably siggy and Townsend

Baldini is in charge, so IMO all of last summer's players will be given a second shot.

The only difference FDB might make is that there might be an extra voice for the Dutch league options over the alternatives

Blind over Dodo
Claise over Pjanic
Fischer over Konoplyanka

etc

Baldini is in charge, so IMO all of last summer's players will be given a second shot.

The only difference FDB might make is that there might be an extra voice for the Dutch league options over the alternatives

Blind over Dodo
Claise over Pjanic
Fischer over Konoplyanka

etc

So in essence not a single player with PL experience?

Would make me very nervous...

i think that's only a problem if they're moving in to an unsettled environment - which is what happened last summer with so many new arrivals in one go. if we keep the bulk of our squad together then i think 3-4 foreign imports should have a much better time adapting

Exactly. It would be macaronic if we do that again without brining in anyone with PL experience.

For me we essentially shouldn't expect any non-PL recruit to hit the ground running unless we have extraordinary reasons to think that it will happen.

PL experience in the positions/roles where we need to upgrade on or replace players in the starting 11 should be a big priority, unless we think "**** it - transitional season". Something I don't think Levy will agree to.

i think that's only a problem if they're moving in to an unsettled environment - which is what happened last summer with so many new arrivals in one go. if we keep the bulk of our squad together then i think 3-4 foreign imports should have a much better time adapting

But we're still in a situation where most of those new imports from last summer haven't settled.

Apart from Eriksen which of the new recruits from last summer do you trust to be ready to do well in the PL from the start of next season?

Lamela has 3 league starts, Capoue has 8, Chadli and Vlad have 8. Paulinho (27) and Soldado (22) do not look ready either.

And the unsettled environment will continue with a new manager. Quite possibly one in FdB who doesn't have any experience from the PL either.

We've got 25 players with EPL experience. We'll only be bringing in 3 or 4 who don't.

We agree that we have some proper weaknesses in our squad. Are you expecting 3-4 players to come in from abroad and adjust quickly? Would Blind, Clasie and Konoplyanka all be first choice players here? Along potentially with a Vertonghen replacement?

Depending on players from abroad to fit in quickly and start performing is very optimistic I think. After last summer it's borderline naive.

Plus what I replied to Billy.

We agree that we have some proper weaknesses in our squad. Are you expecting 3-4 players to come in from abroad and adjust quickly? Would Blind, Clasie and Konoplyanka all be first choice players here? Along potentially with a Vertonghen replacement?

Depending on players from abroad to fit in quickly and start performing is very optimistic I think. After last summer it's borderline naive.

Plus what I replied to Billy.

3/4 players is a lot better than 7/8 like we've tried the last two summer.

Blind would be first choice from the off, but Clasie and Konoplyanka could be eased in over the first 6 months.

I don't think Verts will leave if FDB or Benitez get the job. If he does I expect Chirches will step up to first choice and the replacement will understudy him.

Blind would be first choice from the off, but Clasie and Konoplyanka could be eased in over the first 6 months.

I don't think Verts will leave if FDB or Benitez get the job. If he does I expect Chirches will step up to first choice and the replacement will understudy him.

You're missing his point though. He's saying only 1 of the 7 has managed to settle after a year so how would bringing 3 or 4 more foreign based players help anything?

Actually most of our signings two years ago had PL experience! Dempsey, Dembele, (Ade) and Sig all had PL experience. Only Lloris (that was then eased in a bit) and Vertonghen from abroad.

The kind of signing that Dempsey was is the kind of signing I think we sometimes have to be looking for. Not the best player in the world, but someone that could come in and do a job immediately. It's what Redknapp got so right at the start of his Spurs career.

If Clasie is signed to be our deep playmaker type, but has to be eased in we're still short a deep playmaker in our starting line-up imo.

Chiriches alongside Dawson or Kaboul? Seems like a massive assumption to think that it will work well from the start of the season to me.

We have some glaring weaknesses and shortcomings, they should be sorted out asap. That has to be the priority. And to sort it out quickly we should be looking for players that can hit the ground running in those positions.

Actually most of our signings two years ago had PL experience! Dempsey, Dembele, (Ade) and Sig all had PL experience. Only Lloris (that was then eased in a bit) and Vertonghen from abroad.

The kind of signing that Dempsey was is the kind of signing I think we sometimes have to be looking for. Not the best player in the world, but someone that could come in and do a job immediately. It's what Redknapp got so right at the start of his Spurs career.

If Clasie is signed to be our deep playmaker type, but has to be eased in we're still short a deep playmaker in our starting line-up imo.

Chiriches alongside Dawson or Kaboul? Seems like a massive assumption to think that it will work well from the start of the season to me.

We have some glaring weaknesses and shortcomings, they should be sorted out asap. That has to be the priority. And to sort it out quickly we should be looking for players that can hit the ground running in those positions.

Agreed. Tonight has been really useful.

I will be writing to Baldini asking him to go for Ron Vlaar, Lukaku, Ashley Cole and Carrick. We'll throw in Konoplyanka too.

Agreed. Tonight has been really useful.

I will be writing to Baldini asking him to go for Ron Vlaar, Lukaku, Ashley Cole and Carrick. We'll throw in Konoplyanka too.

Cheers, get right on that :)

To some extent I think this window will be telling us a lot about Baldini. When looking back at Comolli's time at Spurs we made some of the best and most important signings in the last decades for the club when he was here, if he was the main man pushing for them or not. Berba, Modric and Bale all signed under him. But his failure to provide his managers with the players that could do the job short term, and the players that could fill the shortcomings in the squad effectively was a catastrophic failure.

Not saying that it's impossible for Baldini and a new manager to find players from abroad that can do the job and get us success, but I think it would be a massive risk to take. And personally I would be a lot more positive about Baldini if he could find 2-3 PL proven players this season.

Lovren, Ben Davies and Michu at least as options to the name on your list when you write him ;)

Back