• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What the pundits say

I know a lot of people who say what they think. That doesn't in any way mean that what they say makes sense, is logical or should be applauded.
Quite the contrary in fact!

Probably what mean it's not as contrived to please those around him and his ex masters. i.e. Arsenal in his case.

I like Michael Owen other than when he is commentating on the spurs....his stating the obvious in that cheeky voice cracks me up every time...however he is utterly frustrating when concentrating watching your own team.

people might shoot me for this but there are times when I miss Andy Gray, or even Big Ron Atkinson...I hate Lawro...dunno why I am opening up like this, I am sure this rates very low on peoples give-a-smit-o-meter!

By and large I opt for the mute button, I just don't need to listen to non-stop drivel. But if Michael Owen is on I will listen. I know others on here despise him with a vengeance but I generally find he gives an intelligent insight into what's actually going on.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/10/who-will-win-the-premier-league-title

Well, this is all quite ridicolous. Not the Leicester backing, not even our own, but they almost exclude City and the scum. It isn't a two-horse race, there are 13 games left! 39 potential points!

Who will win the Premier League title? Guardian writers pick their winners
With the top four teams facing each other on Sunday, we asked eight of our writers to pick their title winners, as well as their combined XI from those clubs

Dominic Fifield: Leicester City

This prediction is delivered with the caveat that I was one of those sceptics who envisaged a season of toil and, ultimately, relegation for Leicester in the wake of their appointment of Claudio Ranieri, and is offered up in the hope it will not now jinx them. But their campaign can become the most remarkable ever witnessed in the revamped Premier League. Ranieri’s side have the momentum, belief and underlying quality, as demonstrated so emphatically at the Etihad Stadium last Saturday. Their confidence will propel them until they belatedly realise the trophy is tantalisingly within reach though, by then, they will hope the other contenders have been cramped by their own anxieties.

Tottenham Hotspur have been superb, but they have cup commitments, at home and abroad, which may blunt their edge. Emirates Marketing Project boast the squad and the pedigree, but they already appear distracted by imminent managerial upheavaland have been hit badly by the loss of Kevin De Bruyne, their most consistent creator this season. The Champions League may draw their focus and, regardless, they are always only one pinged Sergio Agüero hamstring from fizzling out. Arsenal can pose a proper threat, particularly if they beat Leicester at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday, but they have most to fear: this was supposed to be their year after so many near-misses. No one thought Leicester would come anywhere close. It is good to acknowledge that, last summer, I was hopelessly wrong.

Andy Hunter: Tottenham Hotspur
Leicester City are the team of the season, delivered the result of the season at Emirates Marketing Project and end their season with what appears on paper a less complicated run-in than their nearest rivals. But having had a sneaking suspicion for Mauricio Pochettino’s team for several months it seems remiss to change horses with Tottenham Hotspur having won six games in succession. Spurs have momentum and, like Leicester, a clearly-defined approach that most players appear to buy into. Crucially, they possess one of the most astute managers in the Premier League and his reluctance to buy for the sake of it in January – even taking into account the collapsed deal for Fulham’s Moussa Dembélé – reflected rare and welcome trust in the players at his disposal. Keeping Harry Kane fit is, of course, a prerequisite with no other proven alternatives in attack but Spurs fans have been worrying over that for an age. He is fit, he is scoring and he leads a fearless young side who must sense the opportunity.

David Hytner: Leicester City

I’ve been campaigning for predictions to be abolished this season, on the not unreasonable premise that the results of every weekend have routinely made mugs out of anybody who attempts them. Who could even have tipped Leicester City to stay up with any great certainty, on the eve of the season? Not me. But there has been a fair amount of arm-twisting on this exercise and so I’m going to make a grand statement that I will surely regret: Leicester are nailed on to win the title. What Claudio Ranieri’s team do is simple. They defend in numbers, usually very robustly, and they wait, before snapping with venom on the counterattack or after mistakes. Everybody knows what they will do but it matters not. Nobody can stop them, partly because they rarely adapt their own tactics and, consequently, play into Leicester’s hands and partly because Leicester’s momentum and execution is now so irresistible. Apologies in advance, Leicester fans.

Jamie Jackson: Leicester City

Saturday’s 3-1 hammering of Emirates Marketing Project at the Etihad Stadium is confirmation that Claudio Ranieri’s team are the real deal. It proves the Foxes are growing stronger as their campaign enters its defining phase. They may yet wobble but there is too much quality in their ranks for them not to gather enough points from the last 13 games to be crowned champions of England for a first time.

And take a look at the opposition between Leicester and a thrillingly romantic triumph that is unlikely to be seen again in most people’s lifetimes. Arsenal (on Sunday), Norwich City, West Bromwich Albion, Watford, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham United, Swansea City, Manchester United, Everton and Chelsea.

Arsène Wenger’s side apart, Leicester face no other championship contender between now and mid-May. They hold a five-point advantage and may never have another stab at claiming sporting immortality. This is Leicester’s chance and they should seize it.

Amy Lawrence: Leicester City
Considering Claudio Ranieri’s first ambition at the start of the season was 40 points and there are 39 still to play for, it still feels risky to stay aboard the Leicester bandwagon. So many bumps to ride in the weeks ahead. Can everyone stay fit? Will a sudden attack of the yips take hold when they least expect it? Is Robert Huth a genuine messiah? But still, leaning towards Leicester is irresistible. The nature of last weekend’s soaring win at Emirates Marketing Project was very convincing. The fact very little seems to have been able to dent their collective confidence and high-energy game, and the lack of cup distractions, could work in their favour. The years of observing how fiercely cruel sport can be means there is logic in a more traditional choice. Leicester currently don’t make things seem logical, though.

Barney Ronay: Emirates Marketing Project
Leicester have been the best team in the league, are in supreme form and provide a stirring lesson in team-building and unity of purpose. Tottenham, the only Premier League club to run a transfer profit in the last five seasons, would also be worthy (in every sense) winners. But Emirates Marketing Project were my tip at the start of the season* and are still grudging favourites given the power of the squad, enduring quality of Sergio Agüero and the fact Petr Cech is the only player at any of the other three front runners to have been involved in a Premier League title run-in. Against this Emirates Marketing Project have some problems: the defence, the destabilising effect of managerial change, Kevin De Bruyne’s knocked knee. Vincent Kompany’s return could be key.

*Disclaimer: I also picked Leicester to go down and Memphis Depay – yes, that Memphis Depay – as young player of the season.

Louise Taylor: Leicester City
Why? Because they have Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez. Because they are bold enough to play two up front. Because they know that accurate long balls can be devastating weapons. Because they realise that possession is not always king. Because their centre-halves excel at the defensive basics. Because snobbish and complacent rivals cannot cope with their supposedly “retro” tactics and pacy counterattacking incision. Because their unity and team spirit is something special. Because Nigel Pearson did a wonderful job last season and the fabulous Claudio Ranieri is the right manager at the right time for this team. Because Leicester are not in Europe but Tottenham, possibly their biggest rivals, remain in the Europa League. Because injury has removed Vincent Kompany from defence at Emirates Marketing Project where Yaya Touré has lost focus and David Silva looks tired. Because Arsenal could win it but Arsène Wenger is a slave to philosophy who, deep down, possibly suspects it is better to travel than actually arrive.

Paul Wilson: Tottenham Hotspur
I don’t say that with any confidence – though I think Spurs will do well – but I have no desire to jinx Leicester at this late stage. I tipped the Foxes for relegation at the start of the season, and they seem to be coping admirably, so I neither wish to be accused of changing horses in midstream or being the bandwagon jumper that brings bad luck.

As for the team of the top four, you only have to look at the league table for the answer. As Claudio Ranieri said after the last win at Emirates Marketing Project, Leicester have a true team mentality, they work as an 11 and fight for each other on the pitch. Hence the five point gap. It would be easy to decorate a fantasy line-up with a Sergio Agüero or a Mezut Özil, but that would be to miss the whole point.

Very few pundits worth their salt.

Dont mind these:

Gary Neville
Paul Merson
Graeme Souness
Jermaine Jenas
Martin Keown
Gordon Strachan (makes me smile)​

I would remove Merson and Keown and add Lee Dixon, he's quite good for an ex goon.

I also like Le Tissier and Carragher.

Neville was by far the best on Sky, although, if he were to make a comeback, I'm sure plenty of people would remind him of his not so successful stint at Valencia.

Excellent article, only question is, by default, in pointing to our lack of hype is he helping to foment it?

Yes that is true, however if you take the mainstream media today, there is largely speaking nothing about us, plenty of Utd & City articles, stuff about Chelsea & the scum, Leicester of course but we are again largely ignored, which i think is a good thing.

Yes that is true, however if you take the mainstream media today, there is largely speaking nothing about us, plenty of Utd & City articles, stuff about Chelsea & the scum, Leicester of course but we are again largely ignored, which i think is a good thing.
True enough. I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I'd almost prefer a draw than a win at the Etihad to help keep us under the radar. Because almost regardless of the outcome between Leicester and the gooners, a win would really bring the media out in a frenzy, whereas a draw would underline the prevailing narrative that, typical Tottenham, bound to fall away, cannot close down games, too inexperienced, da-da da-da da-da.

Also my big fear is that we'll peak too early, I'd rather we continue to stay under the radar until the closing stages then pounce at the death.:cool:

True enough. I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I'd almost prefer a draw than a win at the Etihad to help keep us under the radar. Because almost regardless of the outcome between Leicester and the gooners, a win would really bring the media out in a frenzy, whereas a draw would underline the prevailing narrative that, typical Tottenham, bound to fall away, cannot close down games, too inexperienced, da-da da-da da-da.

Also my big fear is that we'll peak too early, I'd rather we continue to stay under the radar until the closing stages then pounce at the death.:cool:

Its still a big IF but IF we can beat them there, its not just about what that does in terms of points, its potentially about what it does to City for the rest of the season,

I think we will win, but the important result is the Arsenal Leicester game. If Leicester win then it will very difficult to catch them. As long as Leicester get beat I would take draw.

I think we will win, but the important result is the Arsenal Leicester game. If Leicester win then it will very difficult to catch them. As long as Leicester get beat I would take draw.

If we both win there's 5 in it, if we draw and Leicester lose its 4 - so not much difference in your two scenarios. Certainly not enough to say with one it'll be too hard to catch them...

If we both win there's 5 in it, if we draw and Leicester lose its 4 - so not much difference in your two scenarios. Certainly not enough to say with one it'll be too hard to catch them...
It's the psychology of it, Leicester will have played their three nearest rivals twice, where as they all have to still play each other. Of those three at least two will drop points against each other. Five points means two defeats more the team nearest, 4 points is a draw and a defeat and hope for goal difference.
Unless they get beat I don't see anyone catching them, but 4 points might make them a bit more nervous.

Thierry Henry today on SSN is such a prick. He is still far too deeply entrenched as an Arsenal fan to give an impartial view on anything. I could get by with a lot of his choices for hsi top 4 XI, but not having a single Spurs defender in there despite us currently having the best defence in the league is laughable. Koscielny obviously was his pick over Alderweireld, though I'd agree with Bellerin and Fuchs.

Thierry Henry today on SSN is such a prick. He is still far too deeply entrenched as an Arsenal fan to give an impartial view on anything. I could get by with a lot of his choices for hsi top 4 XI, but not having a single Spurs defender in there despite us currently having the best defence in the league is laughable. Koscielny obviously was his pick over Alderweireld, though I'd agree with Bellerin and Fuchs.

Henry is so Arsenal centric most people disregard what he says! Charlie Nicholas is the same.

Last edited:
I have to admit, i'd rather see more Henry/Nicholas-like dismissive commentary than any smoke being blowed up our butts....the link above in particular scares me in terms of jinx-ology lol

I have to admit, i'd rather see more Henry/Nicholas-like dismissive commentary than any smoke being blowed up our butts....the link above in particular scares me in terms of jinx-ology lol

Harry compares Alli to Jason Dozzell? I mean come on, im sure plenty of you remember Dozzell!

Back