• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What the pundits say

'Be complimentary about Spurs!'

Boss, I'd really rather not....'

'Dammit Evans, you'll write something complimentary about Spurs, or you're out on your ear! This is the *London* Evening Standard, for goodness' sake!'

'Grumble....grumble...'

Tony Evans: Leicester and Tottenham will never win prizes for style – but it’s great for the league

Ladies and gentlemen, the journalistic process.

At times it seems at odds with Tottenham’s traditions — Glenn Hoddle would shudder at the ugliness of it all — but it is getting results. If you want entertainment in the ball-juggling, pointless dribbling, I-want-to-grow-up-to-be-Barcelona sense, go to the Emirates. See how that works out.

As someone who watches as many Barca games as Spurs i.e every one, the thing that's impress me about us this season is how Barca like we are. We can do ticka tacka (or however you spell it), we can do pressing, we can do possession and we can also do the incisive move when we want too. Anyone who doesn't think Barca grind down teams clearly isn't watching. They'll grind down some and end up beating them 5-0 but equally they'll come up against someone who just packs out their defence and they'll just keep going until they get the 1-0 win. That's what we've been doing but to say we've not be doing it with flair is bollo. Glenn would be proud of Toby's cross field balls, Eric and Christian's free kicks, Delle's skill/aggression, Mousa's ball retention etc. etc. etc........... Oh, and then there's some guy call Harry that can thread a shot through the eye of a needle on the turn.

Pochettino may have come El Prat rather than Les Corts but he's brought a bit of Barcelona to the High Road.

If you want to rinse your eyes and brain of that article and read something better, try this from Barney Ronay:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...omise-watchable-leicester-mauricio-pochettino

Some excerpts below:

"Tottenham win title for youthful promise and being the most watchable

Spurs’ achievements under Mauricio Pochettino this season deserve at least a slice of the adulation being lavished on fairytale champions-elect Leicester City

Tottenham Hotspur have been the most watchable, most promising, most intriguing team in the league this season. All issues of sentiment, underdoggery and fairytale glee aside, it is an achievement that deserves at least a slice of the adulation being lavished on the champions-elect.

Even in the second half of the season Leicester have dropped fewer points than their nearest challengers. They beat Spurs 1-0 at White Hart Lane in January, and deservedly so. For Claudio Ranieri’s team this has been both a wonderful story and a purely sporting triumph of teamwork, talent and unblinking focus.

Still, one achievement should not diminish another and Spurs have been by so many other measures the most compelling team in the Premier League, the most layered, all the while remaining the only Premier League team (fairytale Foxes included) to run a profit on transfer spending over the past five years.

....even on an off-day Tottenham were hugely enthralling in the periods when the pistons began to fire. By the time the goal rush arrived in the final 20 minutes Mauricio Pochettino’s team had begun to swarm in that familiar way, every passing angle, every pocket of space choked off.

This isn’t so much the old push-and-run Spurs as push-and-run-and-snipe-and-hustle, albeit in a controlled kind of way. The idea Tottenham will inevitably tire themselves out before the season’s end has always been based on a slight misunderstanding. This isn’t simply covering every blade of grass, Carlton Palmer-style. There is no blur of perpetual motion here.

Spurs’ defensive movements are instead minutely drilled, with every shift of position among the opposition a cue for some interlocking reshuffle of the pieces, energy not so much wasted as put to synchronised good use. Often Eric Dier and Mousa Dembélé will stand still, waiting for the play to arrange itself around them.

There are some interesting similarities between the league’s top two. Both have a simple set of methods based around teamwork and quick, accurate passing. Both are genuine collectives, the role of each player equally weighted, without favourites or luxuries or glitzy passengers.

But Spurs simply have more depth to their game. They are a team who can score all kinds of goals, can play with the ball or on the break, for whom eight players have scored three or more goals in the league this season. Spurs have scored more goals than anyone else while conceding fewer. Their starting outfield players were, on average, almost four years younger than Leicester’s equivalent on Sunday. Ranieri’s men will be hugely impressive champions but there is another gear to come in this Tottenham team."

I
'Be complimentary about Spurs!'

Boss, I'd really rather not....'

'Dammit Evans, you'll write something complimentary about Spurs, or you're out on your ear! This is the *London* Evening Standard, for goodness' sake!'

'Grumble....grumble...'

Tony Evans: Leicester and Tottenham will never win prizes for style – but it’s great for the league

Ladies and gentlemen, the journalistic process.
read that article last night on the way home on the tube.... It is safe to say that I wouldn't even use that page of the newspaper to hold my chips!

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...gue-title-bid-says-danny-murphy-a3369221.html

I bet he would say Emirates Marketing Project are favourites to win the league which is probably true, however I suggest they are at least as equally reliant, if not more, on Aguero
Total flimflam to say we are reliant on Kane. Last season that would have been a fair comment but this season we've got son, Jansen and lamela (who can play up front at a push.) Has Danny Murphy beend going to the Robbie savage school of journalism?

Roy Keane said:
It’s in their own hands, (Qualifying for Champions League knock out stages) but this idea the can they can win the Premier League, I think no chance.

I don’t care, I can’t see them winning the Premier League, but they are progressing really well as a football club. It’s now about getting their hands on a trophy, what I mean is the FA Cup or League cup.

Back