• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What the pundits say

That second paragraph Robbo sums it up. Leicester are the fairy tale story that the average fan can get behind, because they have done something that no-one thought possible in the money driven world of modern day football. They give hope to a lot of people who like me thought that the league would always go to the team who spent the most. No players on stupidly high wages, a good old 442 and Ranieri who is a very likeable character.

We on the other hand are the club who season after season have sat just outside the top bracket. Despite bringing through a crop of talented young players and playing some decent football we are still disliked by quite a few rival supporters. Levy hasn't got the best rep in the game and the constant sales of our top players have made us look like a side willing to let money rule over success.

I think a title to either us or Leicester would be great though, us for the homegrown aspect and Leicester for showing that money really isn't the be all and end all.

Agreed on that of course, although I think we're still seen as such by many - there's been too many years of mediocrity before our recent relative success. Just look at Liverpool, they've been dogbrick for the most part of the last decade, but are still flying high in the media from their history and Istanbul.

Although maybe it could also be a case of us neither being one of the media darlings/Sky four/lottery winners nor a small team punching significantly above their weight? We're just a well run, well performing, well behaved club doing good with a bunch of relatively unknown and uncontroversial youngsters in our side, none of who are big money signings, big names or big egos.

Maybe our story simply isn't interesting enough because it won't sell as much as the spectacles of other clubs.
Got it in one, if DL is sacking managers then there's no headlines to sell newspapers. Ultimately that's all the pundits are about.

Just listened to the BBC 606 podcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06zqmgy#play

An hour and a half talkshow hosted by Robbie Savage and Jason Mohammed, discussing Saturday's football matches.

I'm not exaggerating but there was barely a mention of Spurs. As said by others we are somehow slipping under the radar but seriously how is this level of media as blinkered as it is?

Get a result against City and it will all change I'm sure.

Yeah, long may it continue - Leicester can take all the attention, crumble under the pressure and allow us to nip in at the end and take the glory

Here's something to watch for in weeks to come.

There's no doubt that Leicester are the big cuddly toy every neutral is cosying up to. Ranieri is adorable. So should Leicester begin to wobble slightly, you can be sure Spurs will be painted the villains looking to tear up the storybook finish of a fairytale season.

Arsenal have a huge following and the obsequious media coverage that large interest brings. A title for them would give Wenger a long-sought-for going away present, so if they become leaders or prime challengers, there will be a sympathetic aspect to them pipping Leicester.

But Spurs can be portrayed as a young team on the rise who will have more chances in years to come, especially since the new stadium will eventually elevate the club's financial capabilities. We'll be wearing the black hats soon enough.

Until then, I'm enjoying the largely positive coverage. Good piece here from the fairly reliable Paul Doyle, summing up post-match observations. We're 'animals' - a good way - says Quique Flores:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...-hotspur-animal-watford-quique-sanchez-flores

And then there's this piece from The Telegraph, who reliably provide saturation coverage of Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, MU and MC. Not a bad article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ricio-Pochettinos-high-energy-revolution.html

I listen to a lot of football podcasts - we normally get mentioned when we lose / draw. otherwise it is a grudging Poch has got them good but will they do a Spurs.

Happy to see us go unmentioned whenever possible when we're doing this well. No conspiracy, just the varying narratives of the media. If we keep this up we'll get plenty of mentions in the weeks to come.

Fans of all clubs seem to complain about being treated unfairly by the media. Seems strange to think that it's true in our case. Sure there are individual journalists, but the media as a whole? No way.

Biggest benefit of flying under the radar is that it takes the pressure off the players. We have a young squad who are outperforming all our expectations but you don't know whether they would have been impacted if they woke up everyone morning to see stories about us being favourites for the title, playing brilliantly etc. The fact that Leicester are where they are and getting all the attention really takes the pressure off us; its a bit galling that the club aren't getting the praise which it deserves but I think helps our performances

Biggest benefit of flying under the radar is that it takes the pressure off the players. We have a young squad who are outperforming all our expectations but you don't know whether they would have been impacted if they woke up everyone morning to see stories about us being favourites for the title, playing brilliantly etc. The fact that Leicester are where they are and getting all the attention really takes the pressure off us; its a bit galling that the club aren't getting the praise which it deserves but I think helps our performances

That pressure will come sooner or later if we keep this up. I'm guessing sooner.

Our players are young. But as has been pointed out we do have some experience in Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Dembele in particular. Eriksen, Lamela and Chadli also have some experience.

If only we had an experienced English central midfielder that could call out a rallying "this does not fudging slip" call and guide the youngsters through this... Oh. never mind.

Pochettino has instilled a lot of confidence and belief in this group of players, that's more important than age.

You know we would be getting more column inches and air time if we were 10th about how we had waste our money and how deluded our fans were.

You also know that Liverpool who are total brick are getting no stick about that fact or indeed is Klopp about the fact he seems to have made them worse, its all about the ticket prices.

Happy to see us go unmentioned whenever possible when we're doing this well. No conspiracy, just the varying narratives of the media. If we keep this up we'll get plenty of mentions in the weeks to come.

Fans of all clubs seem to complain about being treated unfairly by the media. Seems strange to think that it's true in our case. Sure there are individual journalists, but the media as a whole? No way.

Interesting how they've suddenly taken a keen interest in ticket prices now that Liverpool fans have complained. Other clubs that have had similar issues in the past were mentioned, then forgotten. Yes, it's about selling papers/ads, but there are a lot of Liverpool fans working in the media. The fans of course still think there's a bias against them and pro London and Manchester.

Spurs were the "our club" feature on MotD2 with Nihal banging on about how awesome we are, showing our progress on and off the pitch. Damn that media bias.

You also know that Liverpool who are total bricke are getting no stick about that fact or indeed is Klopp about the fact he seems to have made them worse, its all about the ticket prices.

But Klopp is the Messiah, the greatest manager to have ever been and can walk on water. Now that he's at Liverpool, if they don't win the title next year then it will be a travesty and a criminal investigation will be needed

Sorry, I've been reading the papers too much

But Klopp is the Messiah, the greatest manager to have ever been and can walk on water. Now that he's at Liverpool, if they don't win the title next year then it will be a travesty and a criminal investigation will be needed

Sorry, I've been reading the papers too much

What they need for next season is about £500m of new players. Trouble is if you believe the papers Guardiola at City and Mourinho at Utd will have brought up every player out there.

Back