• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What really happens at half time then?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
After the whole hodgson thing it has got me to thinking what really happens at half time.

Seems to me hodgson took quite a long time to tell the players that he wanted people to pass to townsend more as he was the main attacking threat. I always assumed that the coach would have lots to discuss and lots of things to change.

Then of course the players take on board drink and am i old fashioned for thinking they might have oranges? will some go to the toilet or get massages for slight injuries.

So does anyone know what happens during those 15 minutes at half time i am really interested, remember many moons ago the was a t.v. show following sheffield united around think it was when dave bassett was there manager but i can not remember what happened at half time. Would love to see in a dressing room at half time to see what the coach does.

Wonder if avb tells **** long winded jokes to get his message across or whether he has learnt a way to compact his advice in to the shortest but most easy to understand package.

sit there. get some liquid in (oranges too), massages to tight places on their body. Go toilet if needed, I imagine those 15 minutes fly by.

QPR's Stan Bowles once famously used the half-time break to run to the local bookies in full kit and place some bets.

The program about Sheffield Utd was called 'Warnock' and was Neil Warnock.

That was mainly lots of yelling by Warnock and I remember that there was a lot more backchat/arguing back from the players than I would have thought. It was a good programme. It was right at that time that Sheffielf Utd kept doing well in the cups.

**** quality but;

[video=youtube;uBd8YfLJ4RM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBd8YfLJ4RM[/video]

The classic HT rant from then Orient manager John Sitton "..and you can bring your effing dinner " :lol: ( rant starts at 1:50 ).

[video=youtube;_ioE0v_XyNQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ioE0v_XyNQ[/video]

Sir Alf had an interesting approach:

[Rodney March] played a mere nine times for England. There was a reason for that, too. When Alf Ramsey told him, "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at half time," Marsh replied: "Crikey, Alf, at Emirates Marketing Project all we get is an orange and a cup of tea." He was never picked again.

The wrong football
[video=youtube;JeWUDB14kQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWUDB14kQE[/video]

I would have thought that half time involves a brief chat/motivational speech/gonad*ing by the manager, the rest of the time is recovery time. Massage and fluid being most important. Definitely no oranges as the acid in them leads to muscle fatigue and cramps.

If you have ever seen the HBO 24/7 series, with Pittsburgh Penguins & Washington Capitals, the period breaks are brilliant as are the pre-match talks. You tube it if you can, well worth a watch

The program about Sheffield Utd was called 'Warnock' and was Neil Warnock.

That was mainly lots of yelling by Warnock and I remember that there was a lot more backchat/arguing back from the players than I would have thought. It was a good programme. It was right at that time that Sheffielf Utd kept doing well in the cups.

**** quality but;

[video=youtube;uBd8YfLJ4RM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBd8YfLJ4RM[/video]

nah mate the one im thinking off was 20 odd years ago, was so funny can not remember the name of it.

I've played with top flight ex-pros and for an ex-pro manager before and the thing that struck me was how the dressing room before/at HT/afterwards was actually pretty similar to Sunday league.

The physios being there were the only difference really - the team talk and behaviour were just the same. I'd expected a lot more high performance/technical stuff, but there wasn't. I'm sure AVB is different, but I saw much more Redknapp's 'run around a bit' approach.

I've played with top flight ex-pros and for an ex-pro manager before and the thing that struck me was how the dressing room before/at HT/afterwards was actually pretty similar to Sunday league.

The physios being there were the only difference really - the team talk and behaviour were just the same. I'd expected a lot more high performance/technical stuff, but there wasn't. I'm sure AVB is different, but I saw much more Redknapp's 'run around a bit' approach.

I doubt that AVB is that different. I don't think that players are able to take on too much information at half time and managers/coaches are best off keeping changes it instructions pretty simple. This is the thing that most surprised me about the Hodgson space monkey story, it seems a pretty laboured way of telling the players to get the ball to Townsend.

I would have thought that half time involves a brief chat/motivational speech/gonad*ing by the manager, the rest of the time is recovery time. Massage and fluid being most important. Definitely no oranges as the acid in them leads to muscle fatigue and cramps.

If you have ever seen the HBO 24/7 series, with Pittsburgh Penguins & Washington Capitals, the period breaks are brilliant as are the pre-match talks. You tube it if you can, well worth a watch

cheers mate will give it a go

I doubt that AVB is that different. I don't think that players are able to take on too much information at half time and managers/coaches are best off keeping changes it instructions pretty simple. This is the thing that most surprised me about the Hodgson space monkey story, it seems a pretty laboured way of telling the players to get the ball to Townsend.

I don't know. What do you think AVB's bits of paper subs bring on are more likely to say - "increase your lateral motility in quadrangle 37", or "you are the greatest"?

The hardest thing for managers must be to get their message across without saying the same thing over and over again, and keeping the players interested. I can understand the space monkey story. He maybe said the same type of thing against Montenegro, and this was a way of saying the same thing without being monotonous.

One thing that's frequently mentioned by Norwegian pundits/ex-managers when this kind of question is brought up is that the managers will want to adjust the levels of tension/aggression in the players. If the players have been coasting a bit or look too comfortable they will try to up the levels perhaps with some kind of hairdryer message, if the players look nervous or are likely to become nervous in the second half if the game is close then probably easing the tension a bit can be a good idea.

I obviously have no idea if this is what Hodgson was thinking, but knowing that it was a high pressure game that could get tense in the second half if England got put under a bit of pressure then trying to ease up a bit on the players with a joke and letting them relax at half time might have been a very good idea.

I've heard it said that the players can at most really handle 2-3 tactical changes at half time. It makes sense to me, there's only so many adjustments you can focus on at the same time. So unless there are major changes to be made tactically I imagine a lot of the tactical stuff are smaller adjustments perhaps to individuals that are struggling or not making the best of an opportunity to exploit weaknesses in the opposition.

I don't know. What do you think AVB's bits of paper subs bring on are more likely to say - "increase your lateral motility in quadrangle 37", or "you are the greatest"?

I'd be surprised if it was more than a reminder of what they had worked on during the week, slight fine tuning or a message to pass onto a team mate.

To answer the OP's title. Not much. It's more cheerleading than tactical, although one or two players may get a specific tactical instruction. Even that instruction is more likely to be as simple as track back more, or get forward more, or don't keep roaming from your position.

Probably due to certain computer games now, but it's funny how a lot of fans will overcomplicate certain things in football and regard them as a footballing science, when in reality they are very simple. In other cases it's the opposite, where they think things are simple but are a lot more complicated. People within the game obviously try and complicate things to justify their existence, but every now and then if you get to speak to a pro footballer, even Premiership level, they'll tell you that 90% of it is complete ******** (and I am quoting that).

^^
Most underlings in most professions think their managers talk b*ll*cks and a lot of times they are right.

Great managers say the right thing at half time I would imagine. I doubt if it is very long winded or technical.

What other than great managers say does not really interest me except for comedy value.

Back