• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What motivates the modern day player?

im good friends with a professional footballer playing in the championship and however much i love the lad its very obvious from our conversations we have money is the main factor when talking about his future possible moves etc. He signed for his present club on a 4 year deal 12 moths in to said deal his agent told him he should be earning double what he is and now he believes that himself maybe he should maybe he shouldnt but it just seems players are easily swayed by agents especially when it comes to telling them what they 'should' be getting/earning blah blah anyway wouldnt be suprised if he moves next month we shall see

Money and Champions League... it's ALL the modern footballer thinks about. They nearly all have the first (unless they've tinkled it all away at the bookies, or spunked it all over a hooker's tits) but the 2nd is the Holy Grail... precisely the reason Modric won't 'see it out' at Spurs and Chase the Champions League theme tune, and PRECISELY why Yaya Toure is happy to commit to Emirates Marketing Project's 'project' for the next 6 years, whilst pretending it's about ANYTHING other than Money or Champions League football!

sad sad times we live in... what happened to representing your boyhood club?

Jake Livermore, LIVING ALL OUR DREAMS... there's yer Glory!

This is an oft quoted sentiment that I don't really agree with. When we sign young players, and give them the time and opportunity to develop their careers and support/carry on paying them through loss of form/long term injury problems we are both showing faith in them and being loyal to them. contracts mean much more to clubs then they do to players. I how often do you hear of clubs agitating to stop paying players with injury /firm problems as opposed to players agitating for a move / demanding said move no matter the length of their contracts?

these young players are investments, if you buy an asset you want to do your best to get your moneys worth. i think the question would then be how is them losing form and then you selling supposed to be helpful to your club ? it wouldnt be ....you would want them to succeed as uch as possible so you can see results

the club doesnt run a charity, so it wont take youths all over the place irrespective of talent, they take the best and all dead weight get cut without us even knowing. oh yes the club will trim the hedges of youth contracts ..i.e non senior contracts that are not committed long term if they feel that thier investment is not going anywhere..quick time

plus if players get injured it costs the club money if they want to move them on. selling injurd players cant be something with which you get premium buck

how often do you hear of a club keeping a player that cant make the grade? and sticking with them through their awful performances?

these young players are investments, if you buy an asset you want to do your best to get your moneys worth. i think the question would then be how is them losing form and then you selling supposed to be helpful to your club ? it wouldnt be ....you would want them to succeed as uch as possible so you can see results

the club doesnt run a charity, so it wont take youths all over the place irrespective of talent, they take the best and all dead weight get cut without us even knowing. oh yes the club will trim the hedges of youth contracts ..i.e non senior contracts that are not committed long term if they feel that thier investment is not going anywhere..quick time

plus if players get injured it costs the club money if they want to move them on. selling injurd players cant be something with which you get premium buck

how often do you hear of a club keeping a player that cant make the grade? and sticking with them through their awful performances?

True overall players, especially young players will be let go if they can't make the grade, and however what about mature signings who turn out not to be good enough.? Does the club cancel or reduce their contracts.?

With regards to clubs sticking with players going through awful patches well it often depends on the cost and potential of the player, and but yes this does occur more often than you think imo, and for example bale, and torres at chelsea, Modric in his first season, and for veron and luk chadwick (among various other yoyngsters) at United

No he didn't. He fell out with the Chairman over a) our signings and b) over a contract. He wasn't even in the country when Spurs accepted the bid.

Not sure about Gazza forcing a move either to be honest. I thought it was more we needed the money.....

Sheringham handed in a transfer request.

Didn't Gazza get boo-ed the first time be returned to the lane as an opposition player?

We definitely needed the money, so if Gazza did request a move it would have been welcomed. Didn't we have a deal settled before he injured himself, with the result that we got several million less?

What about Hoddle? Presumably he wanted to move too.

Sol Campbell is not a modern day footballer, do you have trouble reading the question and understanding it ?

The definition of modern is: belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages; "modern art"; "modern furniture"; "modern history"; "totem poles are modern rather than prehistoric"

Pretty sure sol played post-middle-ages.. So it would appear i understand the question perfectly.

True overall players, especially young players will be let go if they can't make the grade, and however what about mature signings who turn out not to be good enough.? Does the club cancel or reduce their contracts.?

With regards to clubs sticking with players going through awful patches well it often depends on the cost and potential of the player, and but yes this does occur more often than you think imo, and for example bale, and torres at chelsea, Modric in his first season, and for veron and luk chadwick (among various other yoyngsters) at United

Agree with this post entirely

Let this be set in stone so that all may see and forever have the answer they seek on this topic

Agree with this post entirely

Let this be set in stone so that all may see and forever have the answer they seek on this topic

I'll say it again. The conract runs for as long as the contract runs. If EITHER party wishes to renege they need the approval of the other party. A club cannot just slash a players salary or cancel their contract, it simply isn't possible. HOWEVER, a player is always in control of his situation. If he wants to move clubs, then he can simply run his contract down, all the while collecting salary, and then move for free at the end of the contract, usually allowing for a bumper signing on fee. Boo fudging hoo for the poor wee lambs, they are terribly hard done by.

As I said originally lads, this has nothing to do with loyalty, you're thinking in wrong terms. This has everything to do with professionalism. If you sign a long contract because of the extra salary it brings, then you should honour that contract if that is the club's wish. If you didn't want to stay at the club for a long period, then you should have taken a shorter contract... but that means a smaller salary, which is why Modric et al are happy to sign 5 year contracts then go into meltdown if they aren't released when they demand it.

The definition of modern is: belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages; "modern art"; "modern furniture"; "modern history"; "totem poles are modern rather than prehistoric"

Pretty sure sol played post-middle-ages.. So it would appear i understand the question perfectly.

You are even more fudged up than I first feared.

We definitely needed the money, so if Gazza did request a move it would have been welcomed. Didn't we have a deal settled before he injured himself, with the result that we got several million less?

What about Hoddle? Presumably he wanted to move too.

I believe we agreed a huge deal for Gazza before injury and it had to be renegotiated, could be wrong but I sure that was the case.

Dont like the bloke as a manager but as a pundit I have a lot of time for Souness, I see him as a pundit and he said "If you give an average footballer £40,000 a week they start to believe they are superstars and better than average footballers, there are very few world class players in the world however if you pay world class wages to average talent you are going to get world class egos". "It’s amazing how these same players take all the credit for victory however when stared with defeat they are quick to blame all those around them, managers, colleagues, training, tactics, food, hotels, transport when in reality they should look in the mirror and ask if they give everything to the game they just played"

That was the Jist of it and to be honest I agree, not to turn this into the old "they earn too much" debate but the reality is even in small numbers, if your first contract is worth say £4000 a week that’s still alot of money for achieving nothing in the game. Football isn’t on its own for rewarding mediocrity, I look at world class sports talent in other sports and look at how they got to the top and its a stark contrast to say Tennis players from Great Britain.

The definition of the modern era varies. Some people consider it started with the Chapman and the WM, which began an era where there was much innovation in the formation. Some consider it began with the great Brasilian sides and with innovation in tactics in the 60s (notably the Dynamo Kiev coaches and Michels). Now many people tend to think of the moment when Sky invented football and the creation of the Champions League.

... or the woman who just won gold in the pair for Britain. She could be deployed to Afghanistan in the next few months.

I've always wandered this, but with more middle of the road players. For example what could possibly motivate someone like Bentley or Jenas? Never the first name on the team sheet, basically just a back up back up. All they have to do is turn up to training and they pick up their £30k a week REGARDLESS of whether they play etc. If i was in that situation I'd find it hard to motivate myself for games

Back