• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is our policy???

veron23

Banned
Wind Up Merchant
Are we building a first team to challenge the top 4 or are we building a squad with a multitude of players bought on the cheap to just sell on a profit.

Off course people are going to say we don't have the money to buy genuine CL quality players (i.e fork out 25million for MS) if we don't spend that money this summer at all then fair enough but if at the end of the summer we do spend that kind of money but spread over 3 players ( which would seem just to hedge our bets and sell on ) then it just shows what our (lack of) ambitions are.

This game is about building a team.. we have 2 or 3 world class players and it will really hurt if I see we arnt showing the foresight to hold onto them (Lloris Eriksen Kane Bentaleb) and slowly build further. It takes times to build a CL worthy starting 11 but it takes even longer to dismantle and rebuild every year. World class players don't come along very often and we should be sending a message that they are not going anywhere. Id much rather see us spend big money on one or 2 players every season than 3 average players.

We now have the luxury of some promising youth that we can spend big on just one player knowing we have adequate backups for injuries etc.

Players I feel that are gettable and that will actually improve us.

MS - although this may be dead now it will really show me Levys intentions if UTD get him for 25m and we spend that money or 3 unknowns again. We should have gone all out for this guy.

Asier Illeremendi - Carrick with much more bite. If liverpool get this guy for 15m I will cry.

Delph? - maybe a last resort but he's better Paulinho, Stambouli and maybe effects the game more than Dembele.

Salah - apparently available on the cheap and will walk into our first team (IMO) on the right

Last edited:
I think we WERE willing to spend 25m on Schneiderlin. We just can't offer the wages or champions lewgue football they all want. Huge problem.

As for your question, I think both. We have the squad of players. 10 too many actually that we can sell to raise a lot of money. In terms of incoming players I think we need a mix of squad players (Wimmer, trippier and a new striker) and people to improve our first team to challenge top 4 - a central midfielder and a winger. Maybe even another centre back.

Get that. Sell 10. And our team and squad will be in an amazing position. (And keep Lloris and kane)

Its pretty simple. 1. We - they Levy and his team - try to improve on our current squad. 2. They look for value for money in the transfer market. Whether that is a higher end signing - a Hazard, Modric, Willian - or someone who is cheaper but has potential - a Wimmer, Dier etc. We are prepared to pay for the higher end players, but they need to have resale value, and of course we can't compete fiancially with the likes chel$ea and united.

But considering how many teams are less well off than us, we pretty much have our pick of 'second tier' players.

Last edited:
MS - although this may be dead now it will really show me Levys intentions if UTD get him for 25m and we spend that money or 3 unknowns again. We should all out for this guy.

Asier Illeremendi - Carrick with much more bite. If liverpool get this guy for 15m I will cry.

Delph? - maybe a last resort but he's better Paulinho, Stambouli and maybe effects the game more than Dembele.

Schneiderlin... gettable? the only way he is gettable is if Manure and the scum drop their interest - not likely to happen based on the rumours doing the rounds. We missed Schneiderlin last year and it was not due to lack of ambition; Soton would not sell after their chairman made that pledge...

Illeremendi. Why would you cry? Liverpool have a history we can only dream of, a name on the continent that dwarfs ours big time, a big budget and more liberal wages. Also played more recently in the champions league.

Delph. Agree with you but remember? Discussed in January and pretty much slammed by most posters; what has he done in the past six months to suddenly be ok now?

(1) Levy and his team have to keep us challenging until we get the new stadium and the extra income which will enable/help us to pay the type of wages the top players demand.

(2) Us fans have to accept that until we are able to do the above we have to hope that we may spring a surprise and attract the players who are growing, Modric, Berby etc. Unfortuately they are some fans who will not /can not/ fail to do so and will bitch and moan about how the club show no ambition, how Levy is fleecing us etc, etc.

What I'm getting at is the money we do actually spend - what is it for?

If we don't have the money then we don't have the money. My issues is we seem like we do have the money but are spreading it thin for the purpose of getting as many players as possible to just sell on at profit.

e.g (assuming rumours are correct that MS was available for 25m and we just refused to pay) I would rather of us pass on Davies and Satmbouli and use that money together with a bit more obviously and gone all out for MS when the opportunity was there. We don't need numbers, we have enough backups now that we should put all we have into fewer but more quality signings. Arsenal have done this with one big money signing per window and eventually will be ready to challenge.
Not saying our figures can match theirs but the principle is the same - we should keep what we have and add quality over quantity.

However it seems we are not building a first 11 for compete, we are treating players like property buying low and selling high without any care for what happens on the pitch.

Once we sold Bale...I thought our policy was very aggressive. Nobody seemed to be questioning the ambition of the bald freaky one.

Unfortunately many of our gambles (which many big transfer moves are) did not pay off and have set us back a little...mind you we still keep finishing a good ol fifth, Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue & good ol Vlad have been for want of a better word.....disasters.

Thats a good 60m plus wages down the swanny in terms of us sticking our heads above that fifth position we love so much, Eriksen looks good and Chadli so....so.....Lamela has not clicked...I still have patience but others don't in Erik and see it as more wasted money.

So effectively its like we are recovering from the big 'banking crisis'

Our policy in the short term must be to clear the decks and remove those squad players earning high and contributing little.....Mitchell has been bought in so I sense that we will see youngish players coming in and being developed/sent out on loan.....No more 25m moves I dont think....we cannot afford to get burned in big money moves the way Man utd and Emirates Marketing Project can.

Also our policy is geared to preparing for a new stadium....by which time I hope we have a young vibrant squad...with a smattering of classy established internationals and no more Emmanuel Juju in our lives!

Once we sold Bale...I thought our policy was very aggressive. Nobody seemed to be questioning the ambition of the bald freaky one.

Unfortunately many of our gambles (which many big transfer moves are) did not pay off and have set us back a little...mind you we still keep finishing a good ol fifth, Paulinho, Soldado, Capoue & good ol Vlad have been for want of a better word.....disasters.

Thats a good 60m plus wages down the swanny in terms of us sticking our heads above that fifth position we love so much, Eriksen looks good and Chadli so....so.....Lamela has not clicked...I still have patience but others don't in Erik and see it as more wasted money.

So effectively its like we are recovering from the big 'banking crisis'

Our policy in the short term must be to clear the decks and remove those squad players earning high and contributing little.....Mitchell has been bought in so I sense that we will see youngish players coming in and being developed/sent out on loan.....No more 25m moves I dont think....we cannot afford to get burned in big money moves the way Man utd and Emirates Marketing Project can.

Also our policy is geared to preparing for a new stadium....by which time I hope we have a young vibrant squad...with a smattering of classy established internationals and no more Emmanuel Juju in our lives!

Well, two out of three ain't bad. :p

To me and you Liverpool might be a prestigious club but a young Spanish player wont care so much about the past. He's going to come abroad to whoever he feels can deliver moving forward. I see no reason why you would sign for a northern club with has definite uncertainty regarding its current regime over a London club on the up.

We've beaten them to signings in the past, its all about timing, aggression and putting yourself out there and hopefully having a bit of luck - we've signed Modric and Berbatov etc with these principles. Theres more good players out there than great clubs, Chelsea/Barca etc can't sign them all so some big players will be gettable even if on paper are "too good for us". If Illeremendi is in fact available for just 15m id be disgusted with us for not at least competing with Liverpool for his signature.

Hes a fantastic player and can be every bit as good as MS.

I think our policy is to try and keep in touch with the top 4 until the new stadium is built and then use the extra cash generated to compete with those team in terms of wages. It appears we only have a chance on buying the players the top 8-10 European clubs don't want, so it's always going to be extremely difficult to improve the squad.

We speculate - we have to with CL clubs picking off the obvious talents - and we do it pretty well. The problem has been loosing player to those CL clubs. Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, Bale are players to build a winning team around.

How does Levy keep our best players? Its a catch 22. Without success its hard to keep them, but without these players....

Last edited:
City and Chelsea have shown what needs to be done to become part of that elite. Pay high wages and transfer fees. Gazump those less fortunate than you, hoard players needlessly by out bidding for players just to weaken the rest.

This model cannot be copied with ffp in operation so at the moment we are fudged. 5th is the best we can achieve at present and us fans need to accept it. Doesn't mean we have to like though which some on here disagree with it seems.

Are we building a first team to challenge the top 4 or are we building a squad with a multitude of players bought on the cheap to just sell on a profit.

Off course people are going to say we don't have the money to buy genuine CL quality players (i.e fork out 25million for MS) if we don't spend that money this summer at all then fair enough but if at the end of the summer we do spend that kind of money but spread over 3 players ( which would seem just to hedge our bets and sell on ) then it just shows what our (lack of) ambitions are.

This game is about building a team.. we have 2 or 3 world class players and it will really hurt if I see we arnt showing the foresight to hold onto them (Lloris Eriksen Kane Bentaleb) and slowly build further. It takes times to build a CL worthy starting 11 but it takes even longer to dismantle and rebuild every year. World class players don't come along very often and we should be sending a message that they are not going anywhere. Id much rather see us spend big money on one or 2 players every season than 3 average players.

We now have the luxury of some promising youth that we can spend big on just one player knowing we have adequate backups for injuries etc.

Players I feel that are gettable and that will actually improve us.

MS - although this may be dead now it will really show me Levys intentions if UTD get him for 25m and we spend that money or 3 unknowns again. We should have gone all out for this guy.

Salah - apparently available on the cheap and will walk into our first team (IMO) on the right

I agree with the general sentiment, so have a like.

Back