• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What does AVB and the board need to do to make us better callengers next season?

Raziel re your comment and balance, I agree others struggle with this as well, and short of a huge cash injection and levy cutting his losses on some players its difficult to achieve balance in one season. But if our long term aim is CL and title contenders we need to be able to use most if not all 25 squad players.

But that doesn't mean we need 25 world class players, we need a core of these which you can supplement with good squad players, so you don't end up having to play only 11 players each week cos we don't have any alternatives.

Next season I would expect andros and rose to be more involved in first team games and carrol I think is ready to contribute more given the chance.

But whatever else we need, we must be brave. Our motto isn't audere est facere for nothing!

Posted in the transfer rumour thread as well; Ian McGarry from BBC 5 Live Monday night club reckons Modric may come back to Spurs thos summer as he hasn't settled in Madrid. Not sure how good his sources are but for anyone who wants to have a listen (mainly near the end, last 10 mins or so) you can download (until next Sunday night I beleive) from here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/5lfd/5lfd_20130520-2216a.mp3

Also available on BBC iPlayer (again, until next sunday night/monday morning) from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sj1mn/5_live_Sport_The_Monday_Night_Club_20_05_2013/

Imagine if it were true:eek:

Posted in the transfer rumour thread as well; Ian McGarry from BBC 5 Live Monday night club reckons Modric may come back to Spurs thos summer as he hasn't settled in Madrid. Not sure how good his sources are but for anyone who wants to have a listen (mainly near the end, last 10 mins or so) you can download (until next Sunday night I beleive) from here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/5lfd/5lfd_20130520-2216a.mp3

Also available on BBC iPlayer (again, until next sunday night/monday morning) from here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sj1mn/5_live_Sport_The_Monday_Night_Club_20_05_2013/

Imagine if it were true:eek:

Personally can't see it happening but Madrid fans not liking him from what I have read.

Interesting what Steve Claridge said about the Pompey S/F plus Palacios being carded in that (actually) being Bales break through moment.

Anyone worry about possible political frictions between AVB and Levy/The Board?

In January AVB said that we weren't in for anyone apart from Damiao. Now he's using the media to put pressure on Levy/The Board to make transfer quickly.
A bit of a difference approach, yes. Suggests to me AVB was either covering for Levy in January, or he genuiniely said to Levy 'try for Damaio but if that's not possible don't worry I still beleive I can get Top 4.'
If the latter, the fact that he didn't get top 4 and now makes comments in the media about our transfers suggests he is using the media platform to shift the blame to Levy, when perhaps Levy actually did iffer some other options for transfers in January but AVB turned them down and is now trying to shift any aura of blame..

Happy to be given reasoned views as to why this isn't the case. Decent ITK also welcome

Anyone worry about possible political frictions between AVB and Levy/The Board?

In January AVB said that we weren't in for anyone apart from Damiao. Now he's using the media to put pressure on Levy/The Board to make transfer quickly.
A bit of a difference approach, yes. Suggests to me AVB was either covering for Levy in January, or he genuiniely said to Levy 'try for Damaio but if that's not possible don't worry I still beleive I can get Top 4.'
If the latter, the fact that he didn't get top 4 and now makes comments in the media about our transfers suggests he is using the media platform to shift the blame to Levy, when perhaps Levy actually did iffer some other options for transfers in January but AVB turned them down and is now trying to shift any aura of blame..

Happy to be given reasoned views as to why this isn't the case. Decent ITK also welcome

Seems like everything in your post is based on speculations based on what AVB is saying to the media. And we know what AVB says to the media is often taken out of context and is usually as a response to a direct question, not because he wants to make a statement.

From what I remember his statement about wanting to sign players early seemed just as reasonable if not read with the assumption of him putting pressure on Levy and the board. His statement in January also fit at least as well without the "covering for Levy" assumption as with it.

There will always be discussions and disagreements between a manager/head coach and a chairman. I see no reason to think that there's a conflict or friction at our club at the moment. If read with the assumption that there is some conflict to be found then statements from just about any manager at just about any club can be interpreted as showing some worrying inner conflict.

There's been a few instances over the past few years where there's been a gap for us to take advantage of and push ourselves into the top bracket, we've ignored each and every one of them. This is another chance with the amount of changes at the sides above us, will we squander it again and just be happy to stagnate? I hope not.

The OP's points are all valid but really we don't have to change a thing on current form (last 26 home and away) to ensure top 4.
To make a step up IF WE REALLY, REALLY WANT TO we have to be looking at a Villa "type."

There's been a few instances over the past few years where there's been a gap for us to take advantage of and push ourselves into the top bracket, we've ignored each and every one of them. This is another chance with the amount of changes at the sides above us, will we squander it again and just be happy to stagnate? I hope not.

In what way are we stagnating?

A player like Willian would have been absolutely perfect had he not fudged off to Russia. A left sided creative midfielder that has the ability to play centrally is exactly what we need.

5th
5th
11th
8th
4th
5th
4th
5th

Yet we've just recorded our highest ever Premier League points total, we are moving forward. And we are doing this despite not being able to match the money spent on transfers and wages of the four clubs ahead of us. Not forgetting that we are out performing a number of clubs that spend more than us but finish behind us too.

190413wagebillchart.jpg

The cost of climbing one place in the table from where we are now is considerable. As long as we are consistently pushing our own limits, how are we stagnating?

Yet we've just recorded our highest ever Premier League points total, we are moving forward. And we are doing this despite not being able to match the money spent on transfers and wages of the four clubs ahead of us. Not forgetting that we are out performing a number of clubs that spend more than us but finish behind us too.

A number of clubs? You mean Liverpool.

Back