• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What does AVB and the board need to do to make us better callengers next season?

however we do it.....

25 wins, 5 draws, 8 defeats

over 70 goals scored

under 40 goals conceded

80 points should mean we challenged for the title and more than sure finished in the top 4

sign someone to create and play-make in the final third

sign 2 strikers who will score 25-35 league goals between them over the course of a season

AVB has to improve our chance creation. Our final third play has to be more creative and incisive.

buy carbon dioxide so it fudges with the balance of Oxygen in the opposing dressing room.. so when they come out at half time that team is sluggish.

In terms of on the pitch we need to coach better off the ball movement and better defending of set pieces, corners in particular. We're pretty appalling at these. I might add that when Bale gets the ball it appears that every other Spurs player just stops and watches him. Why??

We are extremely poor in the transition phase and our full court press had almost disappeared by the end of the season. If you play a high line then you need to good at pressing or you're asking for it.

I think a change in some of the personnel will help with these issues as I see them, but it is also a coaching thing. We're quite good at a lot of other things though :)

Do u guys think we can challenge for the title?
I think it's a really big jump. I'd like to finish 4th with more comfort and win the FA cup.

I genuinely think we can challenge for the title. I think AVB is that good, and if we back him, he can put up a challenge.

Our defence is quality, maybe we need new left back for a title challenge but new guy plus Rose as an option and I don't see another defence being that far ahead of ours.

In midfield, if we add say Moutinho and someone of genuine quality who can get goals from wide positions then again, I don't see why all the other clubs will be that far ahead of us. Add to that Siggy, Holtby and Dembele will all improve after first seasons, maybe Huddlestone can reach his full potential and we should have Sandro back. With Bale playing an advanced midfield role or coming in from the right I think the other clubs will have to make out of this world signings in order to better ours. We made need depth but saying that, fitting the likes of Holtby, Dembele and Siggy all into one midfield isn't easy so we probably will have some fairly decent depth.

Upfront we do need a top striker if we are capable of winning the league. If someone could partner with Bale we would be monstrous. This may be the hardest guy to find but I would hope that with AVB's system that maybe someone could come in and over perform relatively speaking.

And that's the other key. Very rarely this season have we played the kind of football I think AVB actually wants to play. He's made do with what he had and done an excellent job. Next year, if we do play his preferred way, I think we will get another few points just by virtue of doing that.

I think people underestimate the difficulty of player in and outs

- Outside of getting our own players that we want to keep new contracts to commit to Spurs, a lot is out of our hands

- People need to be clear, City/United/Cheat$ki at minimum will spend boatloads of cash this summer, and most clubs are going to hold out to see if they can fleece those three, add in the fact that we will also likely be competing with the Scum and Pool, highly unlikely we can sell/sign everyone we need early.

Re changes, all been done to death

- Sandro/Kaboul return would be a huge boost
- Clinical Striker please apply here
- Cover competition for FB and Winger positions
- Creative midfielder

Tactically

- Win more games at home
- Smash the lower teams (see United this season)
- Kill games off earlier, score more (we were in points distance of even 2nd, but could have lost a position on GD to everyone above us)

Our defence is over rated imo. We conceded 46 goals, how is that quality? We need to get it down to about 35-40. Shouldn't be too hard though.

This team has endless potential, I honestly believe that but how can people go from saying we over achieved with 5th to challenging for the title? We're going to improve no doubt but to challenge from sept-at least feb is just being deluded.

Our defence is over rated imo. We conceded 46 goals, how is that quality? We need to get it down to about 35-40. Shouldn't be too hard though.

This team has endless potential, I honestly believe that but how can people go from saying we over achieved with 5th to challenging for the title? We're going to improve no doubt but to challenge from sept-at least feb is just being deluded.

We conceded six more goals then you wanted, playing half a season with no actual left back and half a season without our defensive midfielder and half a season with our second choice keeper, adapting to a system we hadn't played before this season.

That doesn't strike me as that bad.

'Something something aim high, something something echoes of glory.'

Hope you're right but I just don't see a title challenge for another 3-4 years (which I'd understand and be ok with). Think I'm very realistic.

Sell Hudd, Dempsey,Caulker Rose & Parker

With that money and existing budget.

Buy more technical players , not from the PL [ as they are overpriced ].

Last edited:

Defending is a team effort though, and if it isn't quite set up right in terms of pressing or even ball retention then I think you can concede goals. Player for player though I think our defence is quality, and even had depth.

Left back is the only question mark but that's an easier one to fill than looking for quality centre backs for example.

----------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker----Kaboul-----Vertonghn----Rose
-------------------Sandro----------------------
----------Dembele----Moutinho--------------
Bale------------Benteke-----------------Villa

having that team would make us challengers.

Our last 13 home games 30 points our last 13 away games 25 points=55 or a season total of 80 points.

We are now in easy top 4 form. We need to ensure we start next season in this form and possibly improve it. I don't think a major personnel change is likely or even necessary. One or two in and a change of tactics at home will bring us our just desserts for once and we can fudge Arsenal right off!

Would be nice

Unfortunately it won't be similar I imagine.

I personally can't see Sandro and Kaboul being fit for the opening game of next season. We're Tottenham, it doesn't happen. I'm still not sure if Rose is going to be first choice, we've been linked with left backs. Benteke won't leave Villa this season in my opinion and I can't see us getting David Villa. Moutinho is the most likely but I think we'll settle for someone else, Sergi Roberto a name being thrown about.

We need to improve MORE than at least arse. improving the same amount wont move us further up the table. If they buy lets say Jovetic, we have to buy someone better. Hopefully AVB gets the right backing.. Coys

Sell Hudd, Dempsey,Caulker Rose & Parker

With that money and existing budget.

Buy more technical players , not from the PL [ as they are overpriced ].

Hudd, I would agree with as I expect an incoming CM

Dempsey? cheap, not likely on high wages, versatile and scores = keep as squad
Caulker, again, not likely on high wages, with Gallas likely gone, either stays as good cover, or on loan to develop more
Parker, again, good squaddie, and cover for Sandro, we are highly unlikely to buy another DM
Rose, neither here or there, might be able to get cash, but depends on what FB options we can buy.

That team above fairly realistic too. We are at the stage now where we don't really need too much. We will have decent depth and great quality with only a couple of additions.

The supposed monster spending of the top 4 this summer doesn't actually worry me all that much. The players they bring in will have to be seriously fudging good to definitely be ahead of any business we can do this summer.

That team above fairly realistic too. We are at the stage now where we don't really need too much. We will have decent depth and great quality with only a couple of additions.

The supposed monster spending of the top 4 this summer doesn't actually worry me all that much. The players they bring in will have to be seriously fudging good to definitely be ahead of any business we can do this summer.

Benteke isn't particularly realistic.

Back