• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Can’t believe I’ve sticking up for that clam, but if more managers were honest about it we might actually get this nonsense sorted.

It’s been going on for too long.

I don't follow any international football, have no interest in it all, wouldn't dream of telling anyone that means that can't enjoy it.

I don't follow any international football, have no interest in it all, wouldn't dream of telling anyone that means that can't enjoy it.

people like what they like, I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't enjoy

but its not acceptable for businesses to lose expensive assets during key project periods for some pro bono work with the potential to also require extended leave when the event is over

this stuff should all happen in the European summer break

people like what they like, I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't enjoy

but its not acceptable for businesses to lose expensive assets during key project periods for some pro bono work with the potential to also require extended leave when the event is over

this stuff should all happen in the European summer break

If a business acquired and asset or hired someone with the direct knowledge that this would happen how is that not acceptable?

Why am I not allowed to find a "joke" disrespectful? My country of birth and the country I live in are both competing and it's a hugely important competition for both. Not to mention the country of our club's captain. Oh and the trophy that properly launched our head coach's career.

If it was just Klopp who had this attitude, sure. But it's not. It's prevalent among people in Europe who don't want to acknowledge football exists elsewhere, on different timescales. It's why literally no one but me fancied Ange before he came in.

(EDIT: I probably went a bit too hard here - but there was sentiment (and still is) that Ange wasn't good enough for Spurs because he was an Aussie who'd managed in Aus, Japan and Scotland).

Oh and I don't think it was a joke from Klopp. If FIFA didn't protect AFCON and the Asian Cup, I'd bet good money he would prohibit his players from going.

Edit: dumb brick like this wind me up too

Agree with most of what you’ve written but I don’t think Ange’s nationality was a problem for doubters of which I was one. I couldn’t give a flying fudge where he’s from - his track record, in terms of the profile of previous jobs, did concern me though.
Agree I dont care about AFCON but most of the players in it have great national pride, whether you agree or not it's a big thing for them and saying you hope their dreams fail is poor man management, these thought should be kept to yourself, but he cant stop looking to be the story.
I love the fact these players want to play for their countries even though, from a selfish perspective, it hurts us. How often do they get accused of being in the game for the paycheque? For being soft? For not caring enough, for not playing for the shirt? Look at Sarr’s reaction last week when he thought he’d miss the tournament. If that lad is in it just for the money, I’m a Dutchman.

If a business acquired and asset or hired someone with the direct knowledge that this would happen how is that not acceptable?

the expectations have moved, players going on international duty was acceptable 30/40 years ago, it's a hangover from that, international football used to be good, used to be the pinnacle of the game, now its an inconvenience

need to stop paying the lip service

The Euros don't occur during the football season and take players away from matches that matter.
“The matches that matter”. FFS fair enough if you want to make a point but stop being so dismissive and condescending.

I’d imagine more people will remember who won the AFCON and Asia Cup in 10 years than what the result was between Spurs and Brentford.

Agree with most of what you’ve written but I don’t think Ange’s nationality was a problem for doubters of which I was one. I couldn’t give a flying fudge where he’s from - his track record, in terms of the profile of previous jobs, did concern me though.
Yeah, you're right. He probably would have been viewed the same if it was an English manager coming from jobs in Australia, Japan and Scotland.

I guess the relevance for this conversation is more in the fact that he's from a country competing in this tournament, and he's won it before. So he knows well the value. Someone like Klopp, who has only ever played or managed in Germany and England, can't and therefore shouldn't be publicly shaming his players for choosing to represent their country at a major tournament.

“The matches that matter”. FFS fair enough if you want to make a point but stop being so dismissive and condescending.

I’d imagine more people will remember who won the AFCON and Asia Cup in 10 years than what the result was between Spurs and Brentford.
I couldn't tell you who any winner of either of those are in any given year. I could make a guess at Nigeria and South Korea as they've had decent teams in the past.

I'll bet everyone on this forum could list most of the PL winners for the last decade.

I couldn't tell you who any winner of either of those are in any given year. I could make a guess at Nigeria and South Korea as they've had decent teams in the past.

I'll bet everyone on this forum could list most of the PL winners for the last decade.
Most of the people on this forum are British or actively follow the PL. An accurate comparison would be an African or Asian based forum or a forum that specifically focuses on either African or Asian football l

Most of the people on this forum are British or actively follow the PL. An accurate comparison would be an African or Asian based forum or a forum that specifically focuses on either African or Asian football l
Most of the people around the world who support football watch the PL. Not only is it by far the most watched competition, it's also the one that pays those players' salaries.

Being able to count using the fingers on one hand isn't much of an achievement or guide to knowledge. Not putting your users on a very high pedal stool.

It’s disrespectful. He wouldn’t be saying it about the Euros.
I am sure he would if the tournament was mid season. He probably thinks the same about internationals especially friendlies midseason. At the end of the day he wants to win trophies for his club. I don't have a problem as long as he doesn't put pressure on players not to attend. I don't think he is publicly trying to put pressure on them not going either, he's just expressing disappointment at losing them.

Last edited:

It's like asking a Churchill dog to stop nodding, it's almost too harsh as you're effectively asking him to stop posting as there's not much else on the menu. The usual pair doing their best fishing attempts on this thread - Proudly and loudly not taking on any information, alongside the standard absence of consideration that people have opinions that differ from their own.

Not related to your post but I'm happy that Ange has a high opinion of international football. It could be better for the club to take the Ferguson / Utd approach of fighting international FAs and repeatedly pulling players out for minor tweaks but it's a shameful approach. Better to respect what the players want to do, which is represent their country.

I do think the Klopp jokes have been taken out of context and a bit more of a deal made out of them then is necessary but I guess that's usual to overreact to anything Liverpool related...If he was at our club we'd love him, tracksuits or otherwise.

It's like asking a Churchill dog to stop nodding, it's almost too harsh as you're effectively asking him to stop posting as there's not much else on the menu. The usual pair doing their best fishing attempts on this thread - Proudly and loudly not taking on any information, alongside the standard absence of consideration that people have opinions that differ from their own.

Not related to your post but I'm happy that Ange has a high opinion of international football. It could be better for the club to take the Ferguson / Utd approach of fighting international FAs and repeatedly pulling players out for minor tweaks but it's a shameful approach. Better to respect what the players want to do, which is represent their country.

I do think the Klopp jokes have been taken out of context and a bit more of a deal made out of them then is necessary but I guess that's usual to overreact to anything Liverpool related...If he was at our club we'd love him, tracksuits or otherwise.
Scary thing with AFCOn is that it’s been going since 1957… it’s not new

I think it’s the oldest competition after the World Cup

The quality may or may not be crap. I’ve seen games played on shocking pitches too

But the players have pride and desire to play for their countries which is probably lacking in a lot of fans I guess. And I say that as someone with no interest in international footy unless it’s an actual competition

Back