• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

The availability of phones + celebrities trying to remain relevant means Ange mentioning he had a happy days poster or Spurs fans appropriating a Robbie Williams song sparks a response from the originator, I'm not moaning as it's all good hearted especially as it reflects that things are going well.

First time I'd been annoyed by decisions made by Ange today on the subs front. Davies and Skipp on when chasing a game was rough, there's not enough of an injury crisis to justify it imo. We got through it but ideally we shouldn't need to be so lucky against a 9 man team especially as they'd already had a legitimate goal wrongly ruled out, although Liverpool did well to remain a threat and then defend so well.
I think that Skipp was always playing the right side of the middle 3 pre season (the place that’s Sarrs now) and Davies is fresh legs when we are on top
I’d have like Hojberg because he will play longer passes and he did that when he came on (another game he has added something in to help us get over the line)
But they worked out in the end
Bentacur will be back soon
And then the options become great until we get another injury

My change would have been swapping Kulusevski and Solomon, if only for 10 mins. It was clear what they were doing wasn’t working. Of course, the winner ended up coming from Porro crossing in behind the defenders rather than in front of them.

First time I'd been annoyed by decisions made by Ange today on the subs front. Davies and Skipp on when chasing a game was rough, there's not enough of an injury crisis to justify it imo. We got through it but ideally we shouldn't need to be so lucky against a 9 man team especially as they'd already had a legitimate goal wrongly ruled out, although Liverpool did well to remain a threat and then defend so well.

It worked, so he's been proven right

- Liverpool played well defensively
- Ange brought on fresh legs knowing they were tired
- Their mistake is most likely a fatigue mistake

We went for it, for all their good play, they were undisciplined (what actually lost them the game), and getting that goal in the first half would have been no guarantee they get anything out of the game.

Good teams put pressure on their opponents to create opportunities for things to go their way.

We went for it, for all their good play, they were undisciplined (what actually lost them the game), and getting that goal in the first half would have been no guarantee they get anything out of the game.

Good teams put pressure on their opponents to create opportunities for things to go their way.
I agree
But IMO we were putting enough pressure on before that to force the mistakes as it was slow, slow, slow
It was very rinse and repeat
If they had kept 11 on the pitch we would have had a game that suited us better as daft as that sounds

Just remember we had players yesterday that again… had never played in a game like this
So…
The team will get better
The squad will get better
Ange brought on a kid for his debut because he was confident in him
We also had another on the bench
It’s work in progress but the star5 point is higher than any of us expected because we have a coach, a manager and a leader in charge

I love him and I love his confidence in players that at 1 nil he takes off Son and we still get the win. Not that it will always work buy its the way to build a culture.

Yesterday was massive for us IMO, not just the result but the way we did it

I love him and I love his confidence in players that at 1 nil he takes off Son and we still get the win. Not that it will always work buy its the way to build a culture.

Yesterday was massive for us IMO, not just the result but the way we did it
My only concern around yesterday is that hopefully Ange might temper his high risk all out attack strategy against some teams. We got lucky with decisions yesterday but on another the decisions go to Pool and they win. I find we do leave ourselves open at the back which the cleverer teams will exploit.

My only concern around yesterday is that hopefully Ange might temper his high risk all out attack strategy against some teams. We got lucky with decisions yesterday but on another the decisions go to Pool and they win. I find we do leave ourselves open at the back which the cleverer teams will exploit.

yeah I don’t think he will nor do I think he should. I don’t think we were lucky with decisions but let’s just say we were. It would have been a shoot out and we could have won 4-3. That’s the way he wants us to play

You won't get many teams more clever or strong in attack than Liverpool and we seemed to have them pretty well covered 11 v 11 and 11 v 10 when they were still attacking - by the nature of pushing up the way we do you are going to leave yourself open, but if you have players in defense who can manage the sorts of situations where opponents break on you with space and even numbers then that is manageable. With Porro VDV Udogie & Romero we seem to have a set of defenders who all excel in those situations.

It firmly feels like we got away with one rather than Ange's decisions being proven right but with Son and Maddison not at 100% and a few injuries like Johnson we didn't have as many options from the bench as we'd like. Fair point on the fresh legs as well as Liverpool defending well, I'd just rather have seen Veliz on earlier myself to mix it up. It's not always this simple but if you need a goal against depleted opposition put the striker on the bench on.

I didn't see it as us going for it really, as Ange said himself we struggled with adapting to playing against 10 and then 9 men and looked pretty unsure of what to do.

Definitely a lot to learn from the game and 4 points in the last two l against top opposition is fantastic, along with the experience picked up.

He won't do.
Celtic vs Real Madrid was a prime example of that. Madrid won convincingly in the end, but with better end product, Celtic could've been 3 or 4 up by half time.
I was worried Arsenal might have caused us a big problem but we overcame. I'm sure it'll backfire sometimes but to dare is to do!

Ron Howard, acclaimed director plays Ritchie Cunningham. His dad was Bosley in Charlie's Angels (Jacqueline Smith and Farrah Fawcett oh yes... The other one not so much :p)

Tom Bosley played the Dad in Happy Days, Bosley was a character in Charlie's Angel cant remember who played him. My daughter loved both shows.

yeah I don’t think he will nor do I think he should. I don’t think we were lucky with decisions but let’s just say we were. It would have been a shoot out and we could have won 4-3. That’s the way he wants us to play
Yea agreed, we have to accept we’ll give away the odd decent chance, but I have full confidence we’ll create more than our fair share as well nowadays.

Fair enough @billyiddo, @DTA, and @mjc23 . Thanks for the responses. I love Ange already but I do think that if we want to win things, we have to start with a strong defensive base and press high to stop the high line being breached. Anyway we will see as the season progresses. One of the tings I like is how quickly we move the ball offensively . Our passing has already improved under Ange which is great to see.

It firmly feels like we got away with one rather than Ange's decisions being proven right but with Son and Maddison not at 100% and a few injuries like Johnson we didn't have as many options from the bench as we'd like. Fair point on the fresh legs as well as Liverpool defending well, I'd just rather have seen Veliz on earlier myself to mix it up. It's not always this simple but if you need a goal against depleted opposition put the striker on the bench on.

I didn't see it as us going for it really, as Ange said himself we struggled with adapting to playing against 10 and then 9 men and looked pretty unsure of what to do.

Definitely a lot to learn from the game and 4 points in the last two l against top opposition is fantastic, along with the experience picked up.

Veliz on earlier would have been fine, but it also says something about the lack of options Ange had at that moment.

Other than that I think we mostly just lacked another 6 months of Ange working with these, mostly young, players on how to adjust in various situations.

We don't have a real deep playmaker type, someone to change how we play and attack and adjust quickly to the circumstances. Our very young, very talented, back four will learn in time to adjust when needed.

Bentancur, GLC, possibly Gil will also make a positive impact on terms of providing more creativity in the centre when needed.

He won't do.
Celtic vs Real Madrid was a prime example of that. Madrid won convincingly in the end, but with better end product, Celtic could've been 3 or 4 up by half time.
I was worried Arsenal might have caused us a big problem but we overcame. I'm sure it'll backfire sometimes but to dare is to do!

He definitely won't change it.

Back