• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welbeck

In my opinion he's just ****ing awful to be honest. And I've watched him a lot.

12, 6, and 10 goals in the last three seasons. In 115 appearances for utd. Maybe last seasons not a fair judge but before that he was playing with quality players for one of the best managers. Stats aren't the be all and end all but it doesn't look too pretty and if you watch him play for a whole game it's also not too pretty.

I'd be pretty close to giving up on the season if we signed him, I think it would be akin or even worse than the Frazier Campbell signing.

Yep I would be pretty close to giving up as well if we signed that donkey, now Zaha has some talent but Welbeck is awful him and Cleverly should go the usual route of man u rejects to Sunderland.

This thread is screaming for a poll.

Ceremonial-at-South-Pole-Where-the-Sun-Sets-and-Rises-Once-Each-Year.jpg

Some drama queens in this thread. Give some decent options up front for not too bad a price, with potential to grow.
I vote yes.

Wellbeck has a lot of skill, think he'd be more productive if he focused less of his energy on working hard. Would certainly fit into Poch's ethos, would slot in nicely to the left sided forward role and is versatile...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

seriously? :lol: Hes not anywhere near as good as Ade.He plays for Man United thats it, if he didnt people wouldn't think anything of him.

Lol not anywhere near as good? Behave, you're seriously over rating Ade or under rating Wellbeck....

I'm with Sound and Vision on this one. Don't see Real Madrid ever seeking out Welbeck

The same Real Madrid that 'seeked out' Julien Faubert from West Ham? I suppose that makes him better than any of our midfielders too?

How about listing some things that Ade is consistently better at? For five games a season he's great and He's definitely a better goal scorer, but after that I'm struggling....

The same Real Madrid that 'seeked out' Julien Faubert from West Ham? I suppose that makes him better than any of our midfielders too?

How about listing some things that Ade is consistently better at? For five games a season he's great and He's definitely a better goal scorer, but after that I'm struggling....

I cant think of 1 thing Welbeck is better at than Ade. Work rate? well i dont want us to buy a forward because of his work rate..........
I wouldn't say Ade's is bad anyway, underrated if anything.

I cant think of 1 thing Welbeck is better at than Ade. Work rate? well i dont want us to buy a forward because of his work rate..........

I'd say they have similar skill levels and their finishing can both be erratic but Wellbeck does play out wide a lot more. I'm not disagreeing with what you've just said, I was responding to a poster saying he's nowhere near as good as Ade which I think is way overboard. If you think Ade is better then fine, but way better? No way.

It doesn't even matter because Wellbeck would be competing more for the left forward role than the main striker anyway....

I'm inclined to agree with the Daniel Sturridge comparison.

Like Sturridge before joining Liverpool, Welbeck is inconsistent and too often a bit meh. But I get the feeling that there could - just could - be far more to come from him. And perhaps, also like Sturridge, he needs to move for it to break out. I think he could work very well in Poch's system.

I'm not interested in a loan (unless the details of a subsequent transfer have already been agreed). I have no desire for us to improve a player only for a Premier League rival to put him back in their team or get a far higher price for him.

So it would all depend on the fee. If less than £15m, then even if he really is a bit meh, we won't lose much (if anything) on him - what with the English premium. And if he does prove to have far more in him, then we will have bagged ourselves a bargain.

I wouldn't mind us taking him on loan, assuming he wants to join us, which it seems he does. Other clubs use it to their advantage, why not us?

I think he has shown glimpses of real top class play and finishing. The question marks are over his consistency and imo his hunger too. Does he really really have the inner desire to be a top player

In fairness, scoring goals is quite a big thing for a striker . I'd also add physical presence and aerial ability IMO

I think if Welbeck moves it'll be to somewhere that he can be the main man. I'm not sure if he's really in to the Dirk Kuyt comparison, I might be wrong but I would say he see's himself playing in the center, happy to be proved wrong if there's been interviews saying otherwise as per.

You say a lot of people under rate him, but obviously there's no objective measurement of what is over rating and what is under rating. I make my rating based on watching a player play games funnily enough, and from watching Welbeck I'd say it's generous to have the word intelligence anywhere near the kid at present. He shows good skill occasionally but very rarely well implemented to actually gain something from it. And I just don't believe we have the capability to teach composure and finishing, same **** different season, new flashy manager isn't going to solve our striker's issues with the wave of a magic wand/clipboard so bringing in a striker who already has severe competence problems in those areas doesn't bode well.

I know pretty much nothing about Depay so I can't comment on that, did you watch much of him in the Dutch league last season? Ironically I think Siggy would have been the best shout for a LWF but only if we have a midfield that have concrete clear roles working fluidly behind him. IE Modric - Sandro - In a overly simple evaluation, one creates and one destroys. If you have a dingdonghead like Paulihno doing neither of those things suddenly it all turns to **** anyway...

I can understand where you're coming from and I think it's not likely either of us will change our opinion on the player, if we signed him I would be distraught at first to be honest, just because I think he's ****, but I would support him obviously (eventually.....). I just think we need a higher quality of player, maybe he'll become that caliber, but I'm not sure. English + Plays for Man Utd = a **** load of unwarranted hype from a lot of a lot of people who have no idea about football. Love talking to the MOTD and maybe the game against Liverpool if they're off work kind of fans about Welbeck, who seem to think he's some kind of wonderkid prodigy when he's just quite average. If we need someone who defends from the front and works hard yet can't finish for **** I might send my CV in because I'm probably a lot more flexible wagewise then the kind of person Welbeck seems to be.

The problem I see with that is that you're basically forcing quick breakaways to come down one side, because Siggy would not have beat a backpedalling defense for pace. Against QPR today, time and again we saw them being drawn into deep positions and then swarmed by a combination of Bentaleb, Capoue and Eriksen, forcing turnovers of possession that were quickly hit up front or out wide for the attackers to bring down and drive at the heart of 'Arry's backpedalling defense. Even if the breakaway comes to nothing, the strategy works because it leads to us arriving outside the box and playing high-intensity passes with pace as the opposition try to simultaneously track the ball and organise their defense, which has retreated in haste and is thus quite uncoordinated. I believe it is a key part of Poch's strategy, and thus, it involves the nominal wide players (in reality inside forwards) to be three things: good at receiving the ball from a high/lofted pass, good at holding off defenders while dribbling at speed, and pacy enough to outpace the majority of PL full-backs and CBs. Today, we saw Chadli playing that role to perfection: his aerial ability and strength served him very well in playing that role, and his impressive display was evidence of his bamboozling of the opposition's defenders. However, long term I still feel he lacks the pace to truly beat the likes of Clichy, Valencia, Coleman or Azpilicueta in a straight sprint on a breakaway. He has the strength and intelligence required for the role, but not the pace. Depay, judging by what I saw of him at the World Cup and at the start of this season, is pacy, strong and difficult to knock off the ball when in full flow: an ideal combination, in my eyes. Ergo my desire for us to go for him.

I agree with you in that we need a higher a quality of player: we've got a fairly evenly balanced squad in terms of talent, so one or two standout stars wouldn't hurt. But we don't have that option now, so why not go for a player (Welbeck) who has all the raw atteibutes required to be a perfect fit for the role? Sure, he won't be a standout star, but I'd wager he'd work perfectly in the specific LWF role: if he's available for cheap, we should pick him up, imo, even though Chadli's performance today has somewhat dimmed my ardour for this signing.

I don't think it's likely I'll change your mind, and I also understand where you're coming from: ultimately, I believe we just value Welbeck differently, and that's okay.

After this afternoon, I want Wellbeck even more - but on loan. He and Chadli would give us the guarantees for the LWF/second striker perfectly

But at 23 Welbeck will improve just as Sturridge did

Back