• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wedding rings (help needed)

I would have thought that the section of the Sale of Goods Act 1979, s. 13(1), referring to the Sale of Goods by Description would cover the situation.

A design was created for the ring and from what you've said, the ring doesn't match the description set out. So why should you pay money for a ring which is not the one that you had asked the jeweller to create?

Would you order a white shirt and still pay out if he gave you a blue shirt? Of course not.

Usually the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 are the first Acts to look at when purchasing goods or services.

Did they make any designs on paper based on your requirements? Did they make it clear that as it was a custom made product your deposit is non refundable, or you were liable for the cost whatever happened? It seems strange to me that he has custom made 3 rings for you to choose from. They are probably all off the shelf and the jeweler is trying to pull a fast one as they forgot about your order in the first place.

Yeah, sounds like they didn't make anything custom at all

They just found 3 rings that look vaguely right and are trying to con you

Do not pay them, just write off the £100 as a lesson learned and go somewhere else, get a recommendation or just buy something rather than asking for it to be made bespoke

Oh, I was going to add that my wife wanted a bespoke wedding ring so we asked the jeweller to look out for a certain type of stone (a certain shade of green) and he strung us along for weeks saying his gemstone man was on the case and was going to a big event in Europe and would find something. After going in a few times and fannying around we eventually saw one that was just right at an antiques fair and bought that for about £300 which was a bit of a result.

I wouldn't bother paying thousands, nobody can tell except you and the wife and she'll only end up not wearing it or worrying about it if it is too expensive. In fact lots of diamonds are mined by poorly paid men/children so it isn't really worth paying thousands to perpetuate that industry.

And if they get to keep the deposit, they could be scheming to collect the £100 off of you & sell the ring to another poor punter. I'd definitely look to see if you can claim the deposit back as you agreed a contract which wasn't then upheld as the ring wasn't as per the description. There seems to have been a breach of contract, ergo you may have rights to reclaim the deposit.

Oh, I was going to add that my wife wanted a bespoke wedding ring so we asked the jeweller to look out for a certain type of stone (a certain shade of green) and he strung us along for weeks saying his gemstone man was on the case and was going to a big event in Europe and would find something. After going in a few times and fannying around we eventually saw one that was just right at an antiques fair and bought that for about £300 which was a bit of a result.

I wouldn't bother paying thousands, nobody can tell except you and the wife and she'll only end up not wearing it or worrying about it if it is too expensive. In fact lots of diamonds are mined by poorly paid men/children so it isn't really worth paying thousands to perpetuate that industry.

We did roughly the same, my wife wanted an Aquamarine ring, but an antique/vintage one, so we ended up going to Shepton Mallet Antiques Fair and she looked around, I'd set £1500 max, she saw one immediately for £1600 we agreed we'd go back to if she didn't find anything else, then as we waltzed round she loved one which was £4K, then £6K! (yeah I bet she did!) But in the second last isle she found one she loved for £275! Even better a mate gave me £250 as an engagement gift so it cost me £25!

I just got a silver hand beaten ring for under a oner, like this - http://www.love2have.co.uk/wide-hammered-silver-ring-p-855.html

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like they didn't make anything custom at all

They just found 3 rings that look vaguely right and are trying to con you

Do not pay them, just write off the £100 as a lesson learned and go somewhere else, get a recommendation or just buy something rather than asking for it to be made bespoke

I wouldn't even be considering writing off the £100 to experience, the jeweller has don't what was agreed, let him write it off to experience.

If only my wife thought that way.

I wouldn't even be considering writing off the £100 to experience, the jeweller has don't what was agreed, let him write it off to experience.

Ask for your money back. He hasn't done what you asked him for. I have a mate who's a jeweller who does proper bespoke stuff. I can send you a link to his website if you like. He is bloody good, and not a chancer like the guy you seem to have come across above.

Ask for your money back. He hasn't done what you asked him for. I have a mate who's a jeweller who does proper bespoke stuff. I can send you a link to his website if you like. He is bloody good, and not a chancer like the guy you seem to have come across above.

Can you send me the link I will deffo have a look.

I went into the jewellers today but he's on holiday and wont be back until next Tuesday

Back