• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We were so bad today - and I'm glad for it

BrainOfLevy

Michael Carrick
Ok, what I want to say and the reason for the thread title is that I think it is plain to see we were utterly terrible today. Some of the most rigid, unimaginative football I've ever seen. Quite embarrassing watching MOTD and seeing literally every other team being able to fashion out some decent football and yet we were just so utterly incapable of doing it.

And yet, this gives me hope. We were so bad, so so bad, and it simply can't come down to the fact that we have bad players. We had Lennon and Bale providing width, a midfielder proven to score goals in this league in Sig, a Brazillian international in Sandro, and a great back 5. And we weren't bad in the sense that Norwich were cutting us apart at will like last season either, because they weren't. We were bad because we contributed to making it an absolutely eerie game, a game where we created literally nothing, and managed to stifle it ourselves. And this tells me, that is is simply a system thing. It is the players getting used to it. It is a manager figuring out how best to implement it. And once that happens, we should be fine.

This brings up the debate about relying on a system vs relying on the individual. Today it seemed like we were relying on the system and it wasn't working. One thing Harry has shown, and I think what today has shown, is that for all the knowledge you can learn about tactics. For all AVB's extra preparation, for all his rehearsed combinations and attention to detail, if you play 2 players in central midfield that are inclined to sit and give the ball simply without carrying it themselves, then you will struggle to create chances. Harry did well, in that if he wanted a team to attack, he'd play attacking players. If he wanted a team to defend, like at the San Siro, he'd set up a defensive team.

But there are pitfalls to that approach too, so people that have been saying that a system is some mythical thing that doesn't exist shouldn't speak too soon. We saw last season that purely relying on the individual means that when the team confidence is low, and they don't have their rehearsed combinations to fall back upon, creativity can look just as bad as it did today.

So both approaches have their merits. We just need our system to start working. This could have always happened - an initial bedding in period for new methods, especially considering our players were used to playing with individual freedom and are now being told to follow more instructions. But it doesn't mean those instructions are wrong. It's frustrating to drop points that we should be taking, and today was like watching a Ramos game at it's worst. But we have good players, it just needs to click. With Ramos, we did not have a good side.

There is an argument to say that some adjustments need to be made tactically. I think if we are going to play 2 sitting players that can't carry the ball naturally, our full backs have to bomb on and attack that space. They are both capable, but so many times today, especially first half, Benny seemed reluctant. We seem to be setting up similarly to Emirates Marketing Project, and their full backs get forward well all the time. I think playing two of Parker, Livermore, or Sandro at home to weak opposition isn't going to work also, unless our full backs are able to push on well. However we were able to cut apart West Brom last week with the same sitting combination, so maybe the issue was somewhere else. We also deserved the win at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but maybe this system with these players is naturally set up to play well away from home.

Maybe one of the reasons it isn't clicking is anxiety, as AVB says. The book on AVB talked about how the Porto fans had to come to accept that passing back to the keeper was a necessary move. Our fans don't seem to have accepted that yet, and our players don't seem to want to put Brad under that pressure. But if we are to be a possession side, we need to do it. The alternative is to try and force balls into spaces where our players are unable to receive them, as happened all too often today. I remember one time we did have some possession, we willingly used Brad, and the crowd moaned. But 2 seconds later space had opened up for Sig, who was able to drive forward, and we fashioned a chance out of it. A pass wasn't on, so we went back and allowed for more movement. This created space and allowed us to create a chance. As good a shot stopper as Brad is, I think Lloris will be vital in giving us more confidence in a patient game. So many times today we couldn't get the ball down and play simple passes...against Norwich at home. It was amazing really. So many times we saw Defoe battling for flick ons in the air...unbelievable. It's again, so unbelievably bad, so utterly against good football sense, that it makes me think that once things click we should start flying.

So what I'm trying to say, is keep the faith guys. We were bad today, no denying it. But we deserved a win - or at least a draw if you want to call it that way - at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and did create chances against West Brom. It isn't a case of us having bad players, and it isn't a case of us having a defensive manager. I highly doubt AVB in his team talk tells the players that he wants them to clear the ball hurriedly and hope JD wins the flick on. But that is what is happening. It's a clear sign of a team in transition. We are trying to be a new team, while we are still used to being the old team. And so at the moment, we are nothing. We are an awkward mish-mash of players. Not really giving too much away in terms of territory and possession because they have always known how to follow instructions defensively, but they are learning to do something new with the ball, and they aren't comfortable with it yet.

I'm really optimistic that because we are learning a system, once it clicks we can be ready to exploit it. The problem with the reliance on the individual is that when in bad form, the only way you can really get out of it again is to hope for a result that allows confidence to return. But when relying on a system, you know you can always fall back on it and this can give you confidence and consistency, as long as you have the confidence to play it well in the first place. Our players just don't look like they know what team they are supposed to be yet. Are they a possession team? It doesn't look like it, with their reluctance to use the keeper and the inclination to still try and find Defoe, Lennon and Bale as quickly as possible. But it seems like that is where AVB wants us to go, the players just need to get comfortable doing it. A deeply ingrained system within a club is probably why Arsenal can lose key players every summer and still finish in the top 4. It's why Swansea look like they aren't going to miss Rodgers at all. We can get the benefits of that too with a bit of patience.

So I'm sorry for the length, but I really wanted to get my thoughts down. We were shocking today. It was a terrible, rigid performance with the ball and it was depressing to sit in my seat watching it. And yet, because of the reasons we were bad, because it is so obvious what we are trying to do, I can still see cause for optimism and I think you all should too. It isn't because we have bad players. I don't believe it is because our manager is clueless. I simply believe we are working towards something and if we stick it out, it will bear fruit if we have some patience.

I agree we may have some painful experiences while the players get used to things. Plus once Ade, Dembele, Dempsey and Lloris are involved I think we'll look better.

Well, you've cheered me up a bit!

More importantly than us, the PLAYERS have to believe that the system will eventually click. It is important to note as well that we have the double whammy of a new system/formation alongside new players trying to integrate into a new squad of teammates and it's obvious to see that once Dembele in particular settles fully we're in for a treat. Will be interesting once Dempsey gives us a bit of grit up top too.

Each game as it comes and all that eh chaps?

Great post! :) In addition to becoming used to the system, what we lacked for the entire first half was a central midfielder running into space, always looking to get on the ball, being able to turn possession into attacking passes (as both Rafa and Modric were excellent at). We then lost a bit of faith in ourselves it seemed, got nervous, which obviously influenced our passing game (it was slick as fudge in the first half against WBA, with the exact same team). You're always going to struggle when your own fans gets on your neck - it's a terrible habit by spoiled fans (even though we really shouldn't be), that I really hope we stop immediately.

Yawn.

Still no need for the justifying of results, be it bad or good. Too much inspecting is half the reason we put so much pressure on ourselves.

Just let it be. I know you're seeing it in a positive light, but that itself still puts pressure on us to come good at some point.

Let's not over evaluate top much more please.

It's reading posts like this that makes me realise there is reason to keep on reading this board. A great article mate.

Good post dude.

I do disagree though that we were relying on the system yesterday. I think we were relying on an individual conjuring something up out of nothing - Dembele provided that.

I do agree though that it is quite obvious what we are trying to do it really is - now whether the players at AVBs disposal are comfortable with playing that way - I dont think they are but then it will always come back to bringing in players that AVB wants. I also think its a bit predictable. Keep things slow and just passing about on one side of the pitch and then switch it to the full back on the other side who is free and available. I guess thats why Moutinho was pivotal to the system - the quarterback so to speak. The fulcrum.

I also agree that it was the worst football I have seen by us in recent memory. It was dull, uninspiring and slow. Its funny because last season the stewards in block 39 used to have a hard time to get us all to sit down, this season they got it fudging easy. I have barely got up off my seat in the last two games because there just simply hasnt been anything to get excited about.

What exactly is this 'system' that everyone keeps on talking about? When we're not in possession I can understand that AVB likes a pressing system (though from what I can see we haven't pressed any more than usual in the last two games).

But what is the 'system' supposed to be when we're in possession? If it's supposed to be a patient possession-based system, then that's something this team clearly isn't suited to. For that system you need players playing in close proximity to each other, always showing for the ball and being comfortable in tight spaces. Instead we have Bale and Lennon, who are most effective hugging the touchline and playing in space, and Defoe, who likes to hang around on the shoulder of the last defender rather than moving towards the ball to give his teammates a passing option.

I'm not too worried about the fact that Sandro and Livermore have been playing together, because I'm sure Dembele will now start alongside one of them (or Parker) instead. I just feel like the word 'system' is getting thrown around a bit too much; can someone tell me exactly what it means, and exactly what AVB's system is?

Ok, what I want to say and the reason for the thread title is that I think it is plain to see we were utterly terrible today. Some of the most rigid, unimaginative football I've ever seen. Quite embarrassing watching MOTD and seeing literally every other team being able to fashion out some decent football and yet we were just so utterly incapable of doing it.

And yet, this gives me hope. We were so bad, so so bad, and it simply can't come down to the fact that we have bad players. We had Lennon and Bale providing width, a midfielder proven to score goals in this league in Sig, a Brazillian international in Sandro, and a great back 5. And we weren't bad in the sense that Norwich were cutting us apart at will like last season either, because they weren't. We were bad because we contributed to making it an absolutely eerie game, a game where we created literally nothing, and managed to stifle it ourselves. And this tells me, that is is simply a system thing. It is the players getting used to it. It is a manager figuring out how best to implement it. And once that happens, we should be fine.

This brings up the debate about relying on a system vs relying on the individual. Today it seemed like we were relying on the system and it wasn't working. One thing Harry has shown, and I think what today has shown, is that for all the knowledge you can learn about tactics. For all AVB's extra preparation, for all his rehearsed combinations and attention to detail, if you play 2 players in central midfield that are inclined to sit and give the ball simply without carrying it themselves, then you will struggle to create chances. Harry did well, in that if he wanted a team to attack, he'd play attacking players. If he wanted a team to defend, like at the San Siro, he'd set up a defensive team.

But there are pitfalls to that approach too, so people that have been saying that a system is some mythical thing that doesn't exist shouldn't speak too soon. We saw last season that purely relying on the individual means that when the team confidence is low, and they don't have their rehearsed combinations to fall back upon, creativity can look just as bad as it did today.

So both approaches have their merits. We just need our system to start working. This could have always happened - an initial bedding in period for new methods, especially considering our players were used to playing with individual freedom and are now being told to follow more instructions. But it doesn't mean those instructions are wrong. It's frustrating to drop points that we should be taking, and today was like watching a Ramos game at it's worst. But we have good players, it just needs to click. With Ramos, we did not have a good side.

There is an argument to say that some adjustments need to be made tactically. I think if we are going to play 2 sitting players that can't carry the ball naturally, our full backs have to bomb on and attack that space. They are both capable, but so many times today, especially first half, Benny seemed reluctant. We seem to be setting up similarly to Emirates Marketing Project, and their full backs get forward well all the time. I think playing two of Parker, Livermore, or Sandro at home to weak opposition isn't going to work also, unless our full backs are able to push on well. However we were able to cut apart West Brom last week with the same sitting combination, so maybe the issue was somewhere else. We also deserved the win at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, but maybe this system with these players is naturally set up to play well away from home.

Maybe one of the reasons it isn't clicking is anxiety, as AVB says. The book on AVB talked about how the Porto fans had to come to accept that passing back to the keeper was a necessary move. Our fans don't seem to have accepted that yet, and our players don't seem to want to put Brad under that pressure. But if we are to be a possession side, we need to do it. The alternative is to try and force balls into spaces where our players are unable to receive them, as happened all too often today. I remember one time we did have some possession, we willingly used Brad, and the crowd moaned. But 2 seconds later space had opened up for Sig, who was able to drive forward, and we fashioned a chance out of it. A pass wasn't on, so we went back and allowed for more movement. This created space and allowed us to create a chance. As good a shot stopper as Brad is, I think Lloris will be vital in giving us more confidence in a patient game. So many times today we couldn't get the ball down and play simple passes...against Norwich at home. It was amazing really. So many times we saw Defoe battling for flick ons in the air...unbelievable. It's again, so unbelievably bad, so utterly against good football sense, that it makes me think that once things click we should start flying.

So what I'm trying to say, is keep the faith guys. We were bad today, no denying it. But we deserved a win - or at least a draw if you want to call it that way - at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and did create chances against West Brom. It isn't a case of us having bad players, and it isn't a case of us having a defensive manager. I highly doubt AVB in his team talk tells the players that he wants them to clear the ball hurriedly and hope JD wins the flick on. But that is what is happening. It's a clear sign of a team in transition. We are trying to be a new team, while we are still used to being the old team. And so at the moment, we are nothing. We are an awkward mish-mash of players. Not really giving too much away in terms of territory and possession because they have always known how to follow instructions defensively, but they are learning to do something new with the ball, and they aren't comfortable with it yet.

I'm really optimistic that because we are learning a system, once it clicks we can be ready to exploit it. The problem with the reliance on the individual is that when in bad form, the only way you can really get out of it again is to hope for a result that allows confidence to return. But when relying on a system, you know you can always fall back on it and this can give you confidence and consistency, as long as you have the confidence to play it well in the first place. Our players just don't look like they know what team they are supposed to be yet. Are they a possession team? It doesn't look like it, with their reluctance to use the keeper and the inclination to still try and find Defoe, Lennon and Bale as quickly as possible. But it seems like that is where AVB wants us to go, the players just need to get comfortable doing it. A deeply ingrained system within a club is probably why Arsenal can lose key players every summer and still finish in the top 4. It's why Swansea look like they aren't going to miss Rodgers at all. We can get the benefits of that too with a bit of patience.

So I'm sorry for the length, but I really wanted to get my thoughts down. We were shocking today. It was a terrible, rigid performance with the ball and it was depressing to sit in my seat watching it. And yet, because of the reasons we were bad, because it is so obvious what we are trying to do, I can still see cause for optimism and I think you all should too. It isn't because we have bad players. I don't believe it is because our manager is clueless. I simply believe we are working towards something and if we stick it out, it will bear fruit if we have some patience.

no offence but you lost me when you said "great back 5". Gallas Ekotto and Walker are woeful defenders. Verts is looking shaky. Friedel the only hope and we are replacing him

What exactly is this 'system' that everyone keeps on talking about? When we're not in possession I can understand that AVB likes a pressing system (though from what I can see we haven't pressed any more than usual in the last two games).

But what is the 'system' supposed to be when we're in possession? If it's supposed to be a patient possession-based system, then that's something this team clearly isn't suited to. For that system you need players playing in close proximity to each other, always showing for the ball and being comfortable in tight spaces. Instead we have Bale and Lennon, who are most effective hugging the touchline and playing in space, and Defoe, who likes to hang around on the shoulder of the last defender rather than moving towards the ball to give his teammates a passing option.

I'm not too worried about the fact that Sandro and Livermore have been playing together, because I'm sure Dembele will now start alongside one of them (or Parker) instead. I just feel like the word 'system' is getting thrown around a bit too much; can someone tell me exactly what it means, and exactly what AVB's system is?

To be honest, I think you'd be right in that we aren't pressing any more than usual. I think ideally, there would be a high line, pressing aggressively, and patient passing football. But I think we aren't doing that, and that's one of the reasons why we look awkward.

At Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we pressed aggressively, no question. But the last 2 games, (certainly long periods in the second half against West Brom) we didn't look like we knew what we were doing, or what we were trying to be. I'm not sure if this is by design, for example to reduce the distance that Brad may have to come off his line, or whether the players simply aren't comfortable with it.

I also think it may be that the players still have their old inclinations. Hit Defoe, Bale and Lennon quickly for example. But AVB may have set them up to be closer in distance to other players, so they won't be properly positioned to do what their inclinations want them to do, and yet they aren't 'there yet' in their mind in terms of confidently carrying out the system.

GGG, even if you don't agree that we have a great back 5, you could at least agree that they weren't the reason we looked so poor yesterday. I think it's clear, the team is in transition. AVB is trying to get us to carry out something else, but it's gonna take time before it is firing on all cylinders.

Good post dude.

I do disagree though that we were relying on the system yesterday. I think we were relying on an individual conjuring something up out of nothing - Dembele provided that.

I do agree though that it is quite obvious what we are trying to do it really is - now whether the players at AVBs disposal are comfortable with playing that way - I dont think they are but then it will always come back to bringing in players that AVB wants. I also think its a bit predictable. Keep things slow and just passing about on one side of the pitch and then switch it to the full back on the other side who is free and available. I guess thats why Moutinho was pivotal to the system - the quarterback so to speak. The fulcrum.

I also agree that it was the worst football I have seen by us in recent memory. It was dull, uninspiring and slow. Its funny because last season the stewards in block 39 used to have a hard time to get us all to sit down, this season they got it fudging easy. I have barely got up off my seat in the last two games because there just simply hasnt been anything to get excited about.

I think in any system there needs to be an avenue for certain players to express themselves and Dembele will add a lot to the team if he is able to do so, but I think it's clear the players were in two minds yesterday. They weren't comfortable, but that comfort can come with training.

Well perhaps the break will give us the time together we need for that (except the ones playing internationally). You've made me feel a bit better about our performance looking back on whats been said and how we played.

I think 80% of our problem is now mental. We're in that fragile zone where when we don't score first or play well we put ourselves under immense pressure. I think we'll be ok though, as long as we start picking the right team. Get Ade in there now

It really isn't a good thing playing so badly. We have a new manager with a damaged reputation, if AVB really is going to be a success he needs the players on side. Because we played badly I can see him ripping into them. If they dont rate him yet and he rips into them, he'll lose them.

Anyway I should be at one of the next few home games in my friends box. Very easy to instantly pick up on the feeling among staff and players.

Back