• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We have to change against QPR and try something radical

colin fishwick

Reto Ziegler
We need to do something radical . 4-5 1 or 433, but with Adebayor out wide and Defoe in the middle, Absolutely nothing is working.

VdV and Adebayor is not producing the goals, Even Lennon and Bale on the wings is producing nothing.

Our defence looks too weak to play 442, but we are not scoring playing 451 with Ade and VdV. Defoe is our most likely scorer, so play him in a 451, could we do any worse?

id do a Martinez and go 3-4-3.....oh, silly me, but Martinez works a system into his players on the training pitch

Whatever we do, VDV is not to play wide or play in midfield.

Defoe also has to start. You say we don't produce anything but Ade missed an absolute sitter today (the one where the ball went on to hit the post), and we've had a few of them.

The team IS creating chances. We just aren't finishing them. As for the defence, don't get me started. It's the biggest mistake Harry has made in his tenure for us, replacing Corluka with Walker, Dawson with Kaboul (before Dawson's injury) and not replacing Ekotto. In Walker, Ekotto and Kaboul we have three of the most mistake prone lacking concentration defenders in the Premiership......all in the team at the same time!

I know this is probably a stupid time for me to try and be rational, but the system isn't the issue guys. Today was the lineup that virtually everyone agrees is our best one. And indeed, in the first-half I thought we were better than Chelsea overall.

It's just that our confidence seems fudged right now, and changing the formation isn't going to solve that.

I know this is probably a stupid time for me to try and be rational, but the system isn't the issue guys. Today was the lineup that virtually everyone agrees is our best one. And indeed, in the first-half I thought we were better than Chelsea overall.

It's just that our confidence seems fudged right now, and changing the formation isn't going to solve that.

I agree. Even for our goal, earlier in the season would Ade have slotted it past Cech? Today's system wasn't exactly like our best line up though, because VDV was actually playing central midfield as opposed to behind the forward.

How's that working out for them? Their players are every bit as good as Norwich, Swansea.....

:lol:

in the last 10 games Wigan won at Anfield, beat Stoke at home, and beat Man U at home playing 3-4-3.......Redknapp would give up betting for those kind of results

I agree. Even for our goal, earlier in the season would Ade have slotted it past Cech? Today's system wasn't exactly like our best line up though, because VDV was actually playing central midfield as opposed to behind the forward.

I agree that when we defended VDV was playing deeper, but I thought that worked well. And when we had the ball he played as he usually does IMO, including when he got around the 6 yard box for his header. Even when nominally playing behind Adebayor, he frequently comes deep into midfield. I don't think there was a problem with our formation and lineup today, though I didn't think Defoe should have come on for VDV.

:lol:

in the last 10 games Wigan won at Anfield, beat Stoke at home, and beat Man U at home playing 3-4-3.......Redknapp would give up betting for those kind of results

But will they stay up?

Redknapp wouldn't change tactics though. He'd never switch away from his beloved 4-4-2 for a 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 would he?

I agree that when we defended VDV was playing deeper, but I thought that worked well. And when we had the ball he played as he usually does IMO, including when he got around the 6 yard box for his header. Even when nominally playing behind Adebayor, he frequently comes deep into midfield. I don't think there was a problem with our formation and lineup today, though I didn't think Defoe should have come on for VDV.

I don't disagree. I'd have taken Ade off, because I thought Ade was having a shocker.

But will they stay up?

Redknapp wouldn't change tactics though. He'd never switch away from his beloved 4-4-2 for a 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 would he?

well they have momentum now when they need it, shame that cant be said of us

i was kidding when i said go 343, we know that redknapp wont do anything of the sort.

QPR is a tough game. We can play 4-4-1-1 with our best line up and see if the semi final makes our players play like we did after the last FA cup semi final. If it doesn't, we have two options... Firstly, stubbornly keep on with that. Secondly, rest all/some of the players that haven't had a break for ages. It sucks that Kranj and Hudds are out and a bunch of players are loaned out, but Gallas, Nelson, Lennon, Livermore, Sandro, GDS are all fresh, Parker missed the game at Norwich and that can be his rest... Bale is insanely fit and can be given Messi/Ronaldo treatment of not getting rested...

I know Blackburn will be fighting to stay up, but it's an option for a home game against them if our players are still fudged at QPR. The problem is, with just a few more games after that in the season, is there enough time for that to help?

I'm not sure how many players are tired, but Modric is tired, he said he was as tired as he's ever been over Christmas and I don't know how many breaks he has had since then. BAE and Walker have been playing constantly, but we have a left winger as cover for BAE and our cover for Walker is doing well in Germany.

Friedel never ever ever needs rests, he will play until he is 70 and never have to miss a game, so he's always fine. VDV was out for a while and only came on late into the Norwich game, so I don't know if he needs a rest, he often comes off early anyway.

I really think that QPR is too difficult to put out a hugely weakened team though, plus the cup could make the players play better, so it's worth a try.

Whatever we do, VDV is not to play wide or play in midfield.

Defoe also has to start. You say we don't produce anything but Ade missed an absolute sitter today (the one where the ball went on to hit the post), and we've had a few of them.

The team IS creating chances. We just aren't finishing them. As for the defence, don't get me started. It's the biggest mistake Harry has made in his tenure for us, replacing Corluka with Walker, Dawson with Kaboul (before Dawson's injury) and not replacing Ekotto. In Walker, Ekotto and Kaboul we have three of the most mistake prone lacking concentration defenders in the Premiership......all in the team at the same time!

What do you think of Gary Neville as a pundit?

The system works fine.

We were competitve right up till Redknapp's moment of madness when he abandoned it on 70/75 minutes and threw open our backdoor.

If we can get our heads right, todays line up (maybe Nelson in for King) is easily capable of getting the full 18 points.

Defoe's certainly not the answer - he was the harbinger of death for us today. He's like a NFL kicker - he might trot on and kick you a goal, but he's a complete waste of space being on the pitch.

Last edited:
We need to do something radical . 4-5 1 or 433, but with Adebayor out wide and Defoe in the middle, Absolutely nothing is working.

VdV and Adebayor is not producing the goals, Even Lennon and Bale on the wings is producing nothing.

Our defence looks too weak to play 442, but we are not scoring playing 451 with Ade and VdV. Defoe is our most likely scorer, so play him in a 451, could we do any worse?

we hit the post twice and had one cleared off the line. 1 could've been 4 against a strong Chelsea side at Wembley. the system works fine. just unlucky at the moment

We may have hit the post, but not many of us believed we'd score. 3-5-2 for me. Three CBs, if we can field that many, with Walker and Bale as the wing-backs and Parker, Modric and VdV the CMs, with Defoe and Ade up front. Change it up, we have nothing to lose. It's not like this is a nailed on result anyway, is it? And we need a bit of a boost.

Back