• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

• Levy was right to sack AVB

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Levy was wrong to sack AVB

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
If at the start of the season you were to say to me "here's an idea, how about we swap AVB for Sherwood?" I would call you mad.

My opinion hasn't changed.

My reaction would've been the same, then again if you'd told me we were going to lose 3-0 and 5-0 at home to West Ham and Liverpool, 6-0 away to City and average less than a goal per game with Lamela barely playing and Soldado barely scoring I'd probably have reacted the same to that too.

I think so.

I don't think AVB gave him much of a choice with the amounts of conflicts off the pitch that have been reported combined with rather poor performances and some proper shocking results.

Seems likely to me that the Ade and Lamela inclusions against City was part of some backstage "I told you so" infantile power play, if that is the case his days at the club at that point were numbered imo.

I think so.

I don't think AVB gave him much of a choice with the amounts of conflicts off the pitch that have been reported combined with rather poor performances and some proper shocking results.

Seems likely to me that the Ade and Lamela inclusions against City was part of some backstage "I told you so" infantile power play, if that is the case his days at the club at that point were numbered imo.

On one hand I think some of those reports sound plausible; on the other hand, does AVB really get much of an airing in the media to give 'his' account of such situations, compared to the airing the club or the likes of Sherwood with his mates at Sky would get?

Tricky to know either way

On one hand I think some of those reports sound plausible; on the other hand, does AVB really get much of an airing in the media to give 'his' account of such situations, compared to the airing the club or the likes of Sherwood with his mates at Sky would get?

Tricky to know either way

I've speculated in the past, but to repeat myself:

I think it's much more likely that the sacking happened the way it did as a result of behind the scenes stuff than because of the performances and results in isolation.

The return of Ade after AVB, the way Ade and Lamela played against City only to be dropped again (either out of the squad or out of the starting line-up), it all points towards backstage conflicts imo. Along with that there's the ITK and media speculation that has been considerable.

Yes, there were no signs of improved forward play and he persisted with the high line with slow defenders.

We all wanted to believe, we all wanted him to succeed, he is a nice, intelligent guy, but we were going nowhere under him. No signs of improvement.

Nobody would pick TS in an ideal world, but he is the best guy to take us to June when we can select the next Dutchman to lead us to glory.

Yes. Relied too much on one player last season despite some insisting we would become more of a team that didn't rely on individual brilliance, wrong team selections, persisting stubbornly with the high line despite not having the personnel to make it effective, the handling of Lloris's head injury, dull football, no idea how to change games. Nice guy and I wish him the best, but he had to go.

The issue for me now is not, was Levy correct in firing AVB, but was Levy correct in firing AVB if the only replacement was Sherwood?

AVB obviously had some issues, and imo would not have got us 4th this year, but I could have seen him winning us a cup (Europa) and potentially finding a way to fix his issues along the way.

If as indicated, there has been some problems for some time now with AVB and other club personnel, it seems very amateur hour to have not had some options other than Sherwood lined up.

Based on that, it was a poor decision.

Re the comment to hire him back, no, if we were going to offer any of our recent previous managers the role back, Harry would be the obvious choice (queue the hate)

The issue for me now is not, was Levy correct in firing AVB, but was Levy correct in firing AVB if the only replacement was Sherwood?

AVB obviously had some issues, and imo would not have got us 4th this year, but I could have seen him winning us a cup (Europa) and potentially finding a way to fix his issues along the way.

If as indicated, there has been some problems for some time now with AVB and other club personnel, it seems very amateur hour to have not had some options other than Sherwood lined up.

Based on that, it was a poor decision.

Re the comment to hire him back, no, if we were going to offer any of our recent previous managers the role back, Harry would be the obvious choice (queue the hate)

If he had shown a hint of that in meetings post dippers, he would still be here mate. He is not that sort of bloke apparently (which i admit I thought he had become post-Chelski, I thought he had developed that side of his football character).

I feel Dan baulked it a bit, lost his nerve in the face of the heavy defeats, so no he shouldn't have sacked him. We were still in a decent position in the league, Europe and league cup, and it feels like we've rather thrown that away at the moment. Maybe I'm being harsh on Tim but he doesn't fill me with confidence.

Maybe Andre left him with no choice and wanted out of it, I dunno. Doesn't matter now anyway do we keep having to pick the scab?

Mutual consent. Dan wasn't happy, neither was AvB.

So it wasn't a sacking. It's sucked for us, but let's move on and hope we are still in Europe next season.

Surprised to see more people agreeing that it was wrong to sack AVB. I think people are beginning to worry about Sherwood lacking in experience.

Mutual consent. Dan wasn't happy, neither was AvB.

So it wasn't a sacking. It's sucked for us, but let's move on and hope we are still in Europe next season.

"By mutual consent" is a slightly nicer way of saying that Levy said "You're fired" and AVB said "oh... ok"

Back