• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Never realised their ages.........both 30 I'm surprised.

And one has an appaling record whilst the other has never played in this league. Batshuiyi could be anything but hasn't got a long track record of success either and certainly wouldn't want to be second fiddle

I'm truly stunned that expel an be judgmental on jansenn after probably a combined 90 minutes total first team competitive football

Judge him at the end of the season not after a few minutes

And on the subject of Kane... He looks no worse at the moment than he did at the beginning of last season when he was being accused of being a one season wonder. Some fans last night were calling him a two season wonder and utter brick!!! We really have to back the payers an accept that they won't be great all the time otherwise we may as well fudge off and support whoever is winning and enjoy that.

You may not be one of them but some are, as for Kane he has had two great seasons but surely no one can not say he has not been poor since the Chelski game. I see what is in front of me and Kane has been a shadow of himself for a while now, i am sure he will come good again but those slagging Janssen off when he has ( imo) showed more then Kane ( so far) this season is a joke.
People have invested a lot of emotion in Harry so I can understand why they stick up for him. What they need to understand though is just because we are supportive of his understudy doesn't mean we think any less of Harry.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I can also offer ...

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference (Mark Twain)

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man
The latter I saw used on another site (Arrse), and later deployed myself against a really opinionated tw@t who was piffing people off in a pub trying to get anyone and everyone to agree his point. His response of "what does that mean?" brought guffaws from everyone else, which made it so much better. He persisted but he'd lost his audience - and the barman who asked him to get himself hence.

Yeah, frankly I don't think either of them would have brought that much to the table. I was disappointed to miss out on Michy, but considering I'd never even heard of Janssen till he signed, I've been impressed with him so far. I actually think he deserves to start on Sunday over Harry.

I could not disagree more - but I respect we all have deferent views.
Harry has to play to get his form back!

And one has an appaling record whilst the other has never played in this league. Batshuiyi could be anything but hasn't got a long track record of success either and certainly wouldn't want to be second fiddle

I'm truly stunned that expel an be judgmental on jansenn after probably a combined 90 minutes total first team competitive football

Judge him at the end of the season not after a few minutes

And on the subject of Kane... He looks no worse at the moment than he did at the beginning of last season when he was being accused of being a one season wonder. Some fans last night were calling him a two season wonder and utter bricke!!! We really have to back the payers an accept that they won't be great all the time otherwise we may as well fudge off and support whoever is winning and enjoy that.

On Harry I'm in total agreement.
Harry is an odd one, he always surprises me when he scores. He is an awkward lad as strikers go.
Janssen should be fine I never get the assessment of new players correct - with what I've sprouted, he will be off to Real next season for £150m;)

Come on, a 30 year-old striker whose only attribute is pace and scores 1 in 4? Long is so far from the kind of player we are or should be looking at. Same goes for Bacca. Massive wages, huge fee, and the wrong side of 30. No thanks.

Michy on the other hand....
I think Bacca is an excellent striker. He is complete forward line all in one man and has scored goals from the off in both Spain and Italy. Of course the fee and wages for a player of his age were well over the top. West Ham were prepared to pay it as they were/are desperate. Even with their big offer on the table he still chose to stay at Milan however (and that was despite the fact that Milan were trying to sell him as they wanted the money).

If rating the three strikers in question on their ability right now I'd have it as Bacca, then Batshuayi and then Long. However of course Batshuayi has a big advantage over both of the other two due to him being far younger and not yet at the peak of his powers. I see Janssen as being on a par with Long already, despite not being at his peak yet.

I think Bacca is an excellent striker. He is complete forward line all in one man and has scored goals from the off in both Spain and Italy. Of course the fee and wages for a player of his age were well over the top. West Ham were prepared to pay it as they were/are desperate. Even with their big offer on the table he still chose to stay at Milan however (and that was despite the fact that Milan were trying to sell him as they wanted the money).

I wasn't saying that Bacca is a poor player. I was saying that he isn't the profile of player that Poch has purchased with us. We've had excellent success buying young players and developing them with in our system, and while I think Michy was a superior prospect to Janssen, I don't think Bacca is the true special talent that would be worth compromising our purchasing philosophy and breaking our wage bill for.

If we can spend £30m on Sissoko why the ^&*($ did we not get Batshuayi?
And why the &$#@! don't you find another team. It's so tiring listening to your moaning. Go on a Chelski board or something. You offer comments with zero to back them up. If you don't like Janssen, do give us an analysis of what you're seeing that makes you draw this conclusion, Mr. Player Expert.

And why the &$#@! don't you find another team. It's so tiring listening to your moaning. Go on a Chelski board or something. You offer comments with zero to back them up. If you don't like Janssen, do give us an analysis of what you're seeing that makes you draw this conclusion, Mr. Player Expert.

Calm down! It's only my opinion.....I've watched him for AZ and Holland and us - I'm not overly impressed.

In my experience, the people calling on others to leave and support other teams are also the types who should most often take their own advice.

Don't be like that, mate. The man has an opinion, based on apparently watching Janssen playing for AZ, us and his national side. I'm reserving judgement over Janssen's long-term prospects here, but I feel like those grounds are sufficient to hold a differing view if one chooses to do so.

Last edited:
Calm down! It's only my opinion.....I've watched him for AZ and Holland and us - I'm not overly impressed.

you watched him for AZ?? hmmmm i think you are telling porkies

more like you watched a couple of youtube vids which included footage from AZ and Holland games. That does not make you a Janssen expert;)

you watched him for AZ?? hmmmm i think you are telling porkies

more like you watched a couple of youtube vids which included footage from AZ and Holland games. That does not make you a Janssen expert;)

Watched him on Sky last season - Sad but true!

In my experience, the people calling on others to leave and support other teams are also the types who should most often take their own advice.

Don't be like that, mate. The man has an opinion, based on apparently watching Janssen playing for AZ, us and his national side. I'm reserving judgement over Janssen's long-term prospects here, but I feel like those grounds are sufficient to hold a differing view if one chooses to do so.
You're right and maybe this was OTT. But this narrative is so annoying. "He's a crap player, but who knows, maybe he'll come good and I'm rooting for him to do so. Then again, we should have spent £30m on an equally unproven striker and made him our highest earner." I mean it's stream of thought stuff.

This is our transfer policy, so deal with it. If you like free spending teams, there are a few available to support. But if you're a Spurs fan, a tempered transfer policy is what you'll have to deal with for now. And don't call a player crap after 120 minutes of competitive football. That's just idiotic.

You're right, my comment was a bit OTT. So what did you see exactly when you were watching him for AZ and Holland that didn't impress you? Specifics, please.

You're right, my comment was a bit OTT. So what did you see exactly when you were watching him for AZ and Holland that didn't impress you? Specifics, please.

No big deal - I did not pay too much attention to him last season, until we where linked with him this summer.
My first impressions where he was lacking pace and his first touch was not great. I hoping though he can settle and adapt to EPL. Because he is a hard worker!

No big deal - I did not pay too much attention to him last season, until we where linked with him this summer.
My first impressions where he was lacking pace and his first touch was not great. I hoping though he can settle and adapt to EPL. Because he is a hard worker!
So wouldn't it make sense to withhold judgement until he gets a chance to settle in?

If Kane had not actually hit that chance created TOTALLY by Janssen straight at the keeper i bet the likes of @StephenH would be slobbering over his (and Poch's) gonads right now:D

You're right and maybe this was OTT. But this narrative is so annoying. "He's a crap player, but who knows, maybe he'll come good and I'm rooting for him to do so. Then again, we should have spent £30m on an equally unproven striker and made him our highest earner." I mean it's cat video on youtube of thought stuff.

This is our transfer policy, so deal with it. If you like free spending teams, there are a few available to support. But if you're a Spurs fan, a tempered transfer policy is what you'll have to deal with for now. And don't call a player crap after 120 minutes of competitive football. That's just idiotic.

Yeah, but you're suggesting that 30m (+) Batshuayi was unreachable for us, and that spending that much on him would constitute 'free spending'. Point is, we did spend 30m in the end on Sissoko, we did go over the line into a positive net spend for the first time in ages (yay! :D ), and we did try for Batshuayi as well - it isn't as if @StephenH was suggesting that we sign Higuain or someone instead. We missed out on Batshuayi, which may or may not have been because we were outbid (won't go into all that again, although Mitchell's departure is suggestive), but the reality remains that the fee we ended up spending on Sissoko could have landed us Batshuayi instead, and for whatever reason we chose to go for Janssen for 18-odd million as the alternative to him.

It has less to do with the restrictions on our transfer policy in this case (I suspect) than it does with the poster's earnest belief that Janssen isn't quite up to par based on what he's shown so far (although, as @StephenH himself readily keeps admitting, that can easily change). Which, to me, seems a valid enough opinion to hold, even if I don't share it and even if I'm in agreement that he could have explained *why* he holds that opinion a bit better, which he's subsequently tried to do. Anyway, I'm really appreciative of the fact that you acknowledged your previous comment as being a touch OTT and unnecessary, and that was (mainly) the point I took offense to, so I'll butt out again. :) All on the same side, buds.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you're suggesting that 30m (+) Batshuayi was unreachable for us, and that spending that much on him would constitute 'free spending'. Point is, we did spend 30m in the end on Sissoko, we did go over the line into a positive net spend for the first time in ages (yay! :D ), and we did try for Batshuayi as well - it isn't as if @StephenH was suggesting that we sign Higuain or someone instead. We missed out on Batshuayi, which may or may not have been because we were outbid (won't go into all that again, although Mitchell's departure is suggestive), but the reality remains that the fee we ended up spending on Sissoko could have landed us Batshuayi instead, and for whatever reason we chose to go for Janssen for 18-odd million as the alternative to him.

It has less to do with the restrictions on our transfer policy in this case (I suspect) than it does with the poster's earnest belief that Janssen isn't quite up to par based on what he's shown so far (although, as @StephenH himself readily keeps admitting, that can easily change). Which, to me, seems a valid enough opinion to hold, even if I don't share it and even if I'm in agreement that he could have explained *why* he holds that opinion a bit better, which he's subsequently tried to do. Anyway, I'm really appreciative of the fact that you acknowledged your previous comment as being a touch OTT and unnecessary, and that was (mainly) the point I took offense to, so I'll butt out again. :) All on the same side, buds.
It wasn't just the fee. It was the salary too. People seem to forget that. Everyone is slobbering over what good dressing room chemistry we have and at the same time the same people are advocating to throw it all down the toilet for one unproven in the PL player.

Back