• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

Truth is, we don't know that much about Janssen. Doubt if anyone on here has watched him play a full game? YouTube shows he has some skill, is he worth double that of say of Lucas Alario who we were also linked with today?

By the way, if I create a blog and then let it get picked by newsnow and in my blog say we are linked to Joe Bloggs, does that mean we are officially linked to Joe Bloggs? I only ask because I am positive that some of this linking us to players is simply some journalist picking a name out of thin air and then linking us with a player based on their imagination.

And then when enough dodgy soccer sites on newsnow people start quoting it as fact, heck it is on goal.com so it must be true

Last edited:
By the way, if I create a blog and then let it get picked by newsnow and in my blog say we are linked to Joe Bloggs, does that mean we are officially linked to Joe Bloggs? I only ask because I am positive that some of this linking us to players is simply some journalist picking a name out of thin air and then linking us with a player based on their imagination.

Not that it makes it much more concrete, but if you click the link on the players name in my post, you'll see its from the Evening Standard who are quoting the player and his agent.

I don't think there is anything in it personally, we probably had Alario lower down on our short list and made the most tentative of initial phone calls. But nothing developed with us having other players such as Janssen as a priority. That's my guess.

Last edited:
For what its worth, and from what I can tell, Janssen looks like he has excellent movement, a good touch, and decent strength to hold defenders off. The different deft types of finish to score are encouraging. He also looks hungry and energetic, which would suit Poch. I think he would do well with us, he might need time to settle.

I can't see any other forwards linked who fit the bill as well, I hope we get this deal done soon.

Last edited:
According to that linked Standard article Alario has a £11m release clause. Probably lower wage demands too. But Janssen looks more established. All transfers are a risk. We'll trust in those that spend hours checking out these young talents.
Janssen's wage demands are already pretty low: 25-30K/wk. So that shouldn't be an issue.

And then when enough dodgy soccer sights on newsnow people start quoting it as fact, heck it is on goal.com so it must be true

This was done on this forum a few years back now to see who bites, quite a few did. Forgot the fictitious footballer's name we used now, someone remind me.

And then when enough dodgy soccer sights on newsnow people start quoting it as fact, heck it is on goal.com so it must be true

Yep.

This was done on this forum a few years back now to see who bites, quite a few did. Forgot the fictitious footballer's name we used now, someone remind me.
Jimmy Kong.

That King/Kong partnership would have been beastly had it not all fallen through.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050206222237/http://glory-glory.net/article.asp?story=731

Still a member here too - nice of him to still be thinking of us:
http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/members/jimmy-kong.1225/

Last edited:
I watched the customary Janssen YouTube last night that showed all of his goals last season (both for AZ and the Netherlands national team). Must've been about a dozen plus goals with his left foot, a dozen plus goals with his right foot and 6 or 7 headers. He seems to score all types of goals, poachers finishes from rebounds, first time shots, goals where he shifts it onto his right/left foot and then strikes it early and goals where he gets across/in front of the defender to get on the end of a cross. He also looks remarkably brave. A couple of his goals saw him going in to get the last touch when he knew he would be absolutely clattered, but he had that desire to score without worrying about injuring himself, there is also a header or two of similar ilk where he put his head into where the boots were flying.

From the goals it is clear that he has two good feet, the ability to find space and also work space for himself, he can shoot with little backlift, is confident in his shooting ability, has good body strength and also while not being fast he does seem to have that little bit of explosiveness that allows a forward to get that shooting opportunity. He looks similar to Kane in that he is physically equipped to play with his back to goal, he is shorter than Kane but looks a bit stockier and naturally stronger. It looks as though he likes to peel out wide to come back inside to get a shot away just as Kane does - however whereas Kane seems to prefer peeling out to the left, it looks (from his goals compilation) that Janssen prefers to peel out to the right (I guess explained by the fact that Kane is right footed and Janssen left - so both of them peel out wide to then cut back in on their stronger foot). Just like Kane, Janssen also seems to hit a lot of shots across the keeper, low into the corners. He is also a confident penalty taker and varied his pens to either side of the keeper, down the middle and also sometimes low sometimes high.

Where Janssen is slightly different to Kane is that he seems to want to be right up front, he also gambles to get across/in front of the defender when a teammate gets into a good position out wide, whereas I think Kane tends to hang back when this situation occurs more akin to a typical number 10. IMO as well as being about as good a Kane understudy as we could get, Janssen also looks like he would compliment Kane quite well if we decided to go two up front (either in a 4-4-2 type formation or with Kane withdrawn into the number 10 role in our current system).

From the goals video I see no reason why the player would not be successful in English football, in fact it looks like he is tailor made for English football.

Last edited:
I watched the customary Janssen YouTube last night that showed all of his goals last season (both for AZ and the Netherlands national team). Must've been about a dozen plus goals with his left foot, a dozen plus goals with his right foot and 6 or 7 headers. He seems to score all types of goals, poachers finishes from rebounds, first time shots, goals where he shifts it onto his right/left foot and then strikes it early and goals where he gets across/in front of the defender to get on the end of a cross. He also looks remarkably brave. A couple of his goals saw him going in to get the last touch when he knew he would be absolutely clattered, but he had that desire to score without worrying about injuring himself, there is also a header or two of similar ilk where he put his head into where the boots were flying.

From the goals it is clear that he has two good feet, the ability to find space and also work space for himself, he can shoot with little backlift, is confident in his shooting ability, has good body strength and also while not being fast he does seem to have that little bit of explosiveness that allows a forward to get that shooting opportunity. He looks similar to Kane in that he is physically equipped to play with his back to goal, he is shorter than Kane but looks a bit stockier and naturally stronger. It looks as though he likes to peel out wide to come back inside to get a shot away just as Kane does - however whereas Kane seems to prefer peeling out to the left, it looks (from his goals compilation) that Janssen prefers to peel out to the right (I guess explained by the fact that Kane is right footed and Janssen left - so both of them peel out wide to then cut back in on their stronger foot). Just like Kane, Janssen also seems to hit a lot of shots across the keeper, low into the corners. He is also a confident penalty taker and varied his pens to either side of the keeper, down the middle and also sometimes low sometimes high.

Where Janssen is slightly different to Kane is that he seems to want to be right up front, he also gambles to get across/in front of the defender when a teammate gets into a good position out wide, whereas I think Kane tends to hang back when this situation occurs more akin to a typical number 10. IMO as well as being about as good a Kane understudy as we could get, Janssen also looks like he would compliment Kane quite well if we decided to go two up front (either in a 4-4-2 type formation or with Kane withdrawn into the number 10 role in our current system).

From the goals video I see no reason why the player would not be successful in English football, in fact it looks like he is tailor made for English football.

Interesting.

I have 3 questions; in your opinion:

- who out of him and Kane has the higher ceiling overall?
- who out of Janssen and Batshuayi (now of Chelski:mad:) do you think has the higher ceiling overall?
- how does he compare to Berahino in terms of complimenting Kane and allowing to switch to 2 strikers/rotate amongst the 3 behind the main striker?

Thanks Finney. Im sold. Better than that battyboy from marseille. I looked at his vids on youtube and didnt spot anything remarkable.

Interesting.

I have 3 questions; in your opinion:

- who out of him and Kane has the higher ceiling overall?
- who out of Janssen and Batshuayi (now of Chelski:mad:) do you think has the higher ceiling overall?
- how does he compare to Berahino in terms of complimenting Kane and allowing to switch to 2 strikers/rotate amongst the 3 behind the main striker?

This is an interesting question. Most talk as if any signing we make would be as an understudy/cover for Kane. Make no mistake this is fair as he is a 20+ goal a season striker.

However, he has achieved the level he has through extreme hard work and dedication. There are a lot of players with a hell of a lot more natural ability than Kane, and if we have identified such a player under this regime the chances are he would also have to have a similar work ethic to Kane. Factor into this that he would also have the benefit of being coached by Poch, we should contemplate the possibility that Janssen or whichever other striker we get could eventally become our leading striker ahead of Kane.....

Interesting article today regarding 3-5-2 at the Euros:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...has-3-5-2-worked-at-euro-2016-jonathan-wilson
But the reason for posting here, is an also interesting discussion BTL regarding the suggestion that all recent PL winners have played with two strikers bar Chelsea. If nothing else, it must benefit us that we have the option to play with two up front, even if it's not the norm.

Yes, we must look to West Ham as a shining example of a well run club.
Unfortunately you have to move with the times though. The point is small - medium sized PL clubs are offering big wages and you have to do the same otherwise fall behind. Vast majority of players will follow the money....

Interesting article today regarding 3-5-2 at the Euros:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...has-3-5-2-worked-at-euro-2016-jonathan-wilson
But the reason for posting here, is an also interesting discussion BTL regarding the suggestion that all recent PL winners have played with two strikers bar Chelsea. If nothing else, it must benefit us that we have the option to play with two up front, even if it's not the norm.

I've no doubt that Chelsea will be playing 3-5-2 under Conte next season. They have most of the players there to adjust to that system.

Unfortunately you have to move with the times though. The point is small - medium sized PL clubs are offering big wages and you have to do the same otherwise fall behind. Vast majority of players will follow the money....
Hmmmm.... I am sure that we will look to continue paying a total wage bill of around 55% of our turnover. That is a sustainable amount that also ensures a reasonable amount of funding for transfer fees (or in recent times to pay the up front costs of our stadium and training ground developments). Every 10 million that our turnover increases by enables a 5.5 million uplift to our wage budget, along with probably a 2 or 3 million uplift to our transfer fund. Our turnover is higher than West Ham's currently, ergo we can sustain a higher wage bill. When we move into our new stadium our turnover will be considerably higher still than West Ham's and therefore we will be able to sustain an even bigger wage bill. The only way that West Ham will be able to counter this is to either operate their wage bill at a dangerous level or take on more borrowing, both are only very short-term solutions.

That aside, the game has moved on in terms of wages and we need to keep up. Even West Ham are paying Payet well over £100k a week.

I think if you want to make comparisons with how much West Ham play their players you should take into consideration the pertinent fact that West Ham are getting their new stadium for next to nothing while we have to build ours ourselves.

I think if you want to make comparisons with how much West Ham play their players you should take into consideration the pertinent fact that West Ham are getting their new stadium for next to nothing while we have to build ours ourselves.

The point is that teams are paying higher wages, players won't choose us if we are offering £35-50K a week.

Back