• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

1. I think this is a good move.
2. I think this is a bad move
3. Haven't seen much of him, but I trust Poch's judgement.
4. Levy out.
Ha Id say option 3 actually sums up the majority of our singings these days, and Ive yet to see Poch and the transfer committee test my faith in them......

He's never been a player that has stood out for me, but I suppose that's his job. He is captain of his national side and seen as a leader which is a good thing, you can never have enough in a team. I'm not one who thinks it doesn't matter who's captain and the more effective candidates we have the better for me.

I live functional players in defensive positions

People get a hard in for goal scoring defenders like Vermaelen and Philip Albert (back in the day) when they were site at actually doing their core role

Wanyama is a very solid boring holding midfielder who will bust a gut IMO to get in the team - that can only be a good thing

He's obvs keen to work under Poch again. He prob feels much of his development in Prem was down to Poch so he's keen to carry that on. That can only be a good attitude.

In fairness, it's not easy to adjust to this league and the Kenyan's are hardly known for their footballers! Do they qualify for the ACN often?

Sky sports saying we've agreed an 11-12 mil deal

I'd certainly be happy with that, for someone PL proven who can pretty much slot in straight away when needed, and who is already well-known to Poch.
However it does sound better when the fee is converted to local currency, Is this our first "billion" fee-quoted player? :

Victor Wanyama flies to London
Deal to transfer from Southampton to Tottenham could be finalised on Monday.
Victor Wanyama’s Sh2 billion move from Southampton to London-based Tottenham Hotspur could be sealed in the next couple of hours.

Wanyama flew out of Nairobi for London on Sunday morning alongside his former manager Ivan Modia to finalise the switch, pending a medical examination.
Moving to Spurs will see the Kenya captain reunite with his former coach Mauricio Pocchettino, who currently manages Spurs first team.

The deal is understood to be in the region of Sh2 billion, with Southampton banking almost 80 percent of these proceeds.
The remaining amount will be paid to both his agents and former club Celtic that inserted a “sell on clause” in his contract to receive a percentage of any future transfer.

The impending rigorous medical examination on Monday is considered a formality for the eventual transfer as Wanyama has been playing in England for the past two seasons.

Personal terms have also been agreed between Wanyama and Tottenham on a four-year deal, following weeks of negotiations involving his long time agent, Rob Moore who heads Barcelona-based agency ExtraTime.

It is understood, according to close family members who spoke to Daily Nation Sport, that the Harambee Stars captain expects to double his monthly take home pay to about Sh20 million. However, the player declined to speak on this matter when contacted on Sunday evening.

http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/foot...urs-move/-/1102/3257256/-/2n8na3/-/index.html

Very crude calculation - £55k-£60k per week (gross) if above is true?

This is a signing I have wanted for a while but I still have one concern:

He has received 23 bookings and one straight red card in three years at St Mary's, the cards coming at a rate of more than one in every four matches.

He really needs to sort that out

extremely shrewd business this is. The guy knows and understands poch methods, prem experience, young at 24 and £11m is a bargin these days.

For those who realise we fall apart when we don't have dembele or dier in the team, this fella can cover both positions, and will make rotation through rest or injury even easier. I travelled to Dortmund last year and when the team was announced, you just knew what was coming. This signing and a striker signing will be massive for us.

He has received 23 bookings and one straight red card in three years at St Mary's, the cards coming at a rate of more than one in every four matches.

I'm not sure, but that might be less than Dier this season :)

Great signing IMO. Good backup for Dier, or an extra body in the "big games" or when we need to shut up shop.

I can't say that I have ever rated him very highly. Quite poor on the ball and not a good passer. Poor discipline. Physically strong and hopefully good defensively. Decent back-up for Dier, perhaps, but I can't see him making it into the starting line-up. Poch knows what he can do, though, so I guess I should trust his judgement.

I wish we could have signed a central midfielders who can pass the ball well when we first signed one. We haven't had one since Modric (except Huddlestone who had too many other weaknesses).

I can't say that I have ever rated him very highly. Quite poor on the ball and not a good passer. Poor discipline. Physically strong and hopefully good defensively. Decent back-up for Dier, perhaps, but I can't see him making it into the starting line-up. Poch knows what he can do, though, so I guess I should trust his judgement.

I wish we could have signed a central midfielders who can pass the ball well when we first signed one. We haven't had one since Modric (except Huddlestone who had too many other weaknesses).
As has already been said we need to improve our closing out of games and defend set pieces better. If Wanyama can help us do that which I am sure is Poch's thinking, then he may prove to be the perfect signing. In Poch we trust.

If he's principally a substitute for the last 20 minutes or when Dier is injured/suspended, that should be far less of a problem.

Also as aggressive players get older, they get more wily. Look at Rose for example.

Back