• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VDV

Re: VdV - what was the story?

We don't miss VDV, we miss Modric. The final third although an issue, it's not the main issue with the erratic performances this season. The main issue is that we lack the ability to get it into the final third with any real intent, and on top of that we also lack the ability to control games comfortably. That is due to the loss of Modric.

We don't miss VDV, we miss Modric. The final third although an issue, it's not the main issue with the erratic performances this season. The main issue is that we lack the ability to get it into the final third with any real intent, and on top of that we also lack the ability to control games comfortably. That is due to the loss of Modric.

I think it is fair to say that we miss them both. I agree completely with what you say about our lack of ability to get the ball into the final third, and to control games. Today, that was certainly the main problem, especially in the firsty half. We even struggled to get out of our defensive final third. We tried to play our way out at the back, but there was just nothing on. To be fair, Wigan did well at making at it difficult for us. Their three attackers put pressure on us high up the pitch and didn't allow our defenders and deep midfielder time on the ball to turn and face Wigan's goal. Something that led to many passes back to Fridel. However, when we did have some time on the ball at the back, there was simply nothing happening in front of the ball. There was no pass on. So the ball went back to Friedel again. We seem completely clueless when we have to control play at home. That has been the case in most hoem games this season. Lacking a playmaker of Modric's caliber is part of the reason, I am sure, but I also wonder what we actually aim to do when we build our attacks. Harry got criticized at times for lacking a plan in similar types of games, but things have certainly not improved so far with AVB. At the moment we are a decent counter-attacking team with the pace of Lennon and Bale, and Defoe's movement when he does have space, but we are completely incapable of controlling a game ourselves. That is obviously why we have done better away from home so far.

I do think we also miss some creativity and invention in the final third though that Rafa often provided. Dempsey doesn't have it, end of story, and Sigurdsson is a nervous wreck at the moment. He does have decent vision and a decent pass on him when on form, but right now he is hiding in games. Rafa was always a player who showed for the ball, who wanted to make things happen. Dempsey and Sigurdsson doesn't, and obviously don't have the same abilities either. Rafa got criticised at times for dropping too deep, but at least there was something happening around him, he was more dynamic in his play. Rafa could also receive the ball in a tight spot, and with a good first touch he'd get out of there with the ball at his feet. Dempsey and Sigurdsson don't have the same ability due to inferiour technique and also slower feet.

We also miss the more mental abilties of Modric and Rafa. We lack their experience, and confidence and leadership. By leadership I don't mean running around pointing and shouting, but taking charge of the game, wanting to make something happen. Who will do that in our team at the moment? Who will show for the ball, and take responsibilty for creating something? Especially when things aren't running as smootly as we would have liked? There is no one really. Not in the middle of the park at least. We have wingers who can create something, but they rely on support from elsewhere most of the time. They can't take charge of a game like players playing in a central position can. This is also a huge problem for us right now the way I see it.

We lost all our creative players/playmakers in one transfer window - Modric,VdV,Kranjcar and Pienaar.

I can understand that AvB wants to build his "own" team,but to let VdV go was a huge mistake.

his last moment was the goal he set up for Ade against Fulham,a pass only quality players can see,we're miles away from that now.

We do miss VDV. We will definitely miss him in a couple of weeks when Adebayor is too embarassed to try hard against Arsenal and we won't have VDV to bail us out with a goal. 4 goals in 4 derbies, and he was one of the few players who got the rivalry, and he got it straight away! He knew exactly what it meant to us fans.

I echo Gutterboy's statement when he said he's pay anything under £20m to get him back. He'd certainly be a MASSIVE upgrade over Demspey and Sig right now.

i saw siggy numerous times last year and he's half player he was last season,where last year he was the main man getting the ball in space here hes seems to be crowded out by his own players most of the time

Actually we lost to Wigan just before he signed at the end of that summer's transfer window but your overall point still stands

Apologies, you are absolutely correct Sir.
Indeed, on research, I notice that last season when we won 2-1, he scored!!!!

I echo Gutterboy's statement when he said he's pay anything under £20m to get him back. He'd certainly be a MASSIVE upgrade over Demspey and Sig right now.

That would be terrible business and I can't help thinking what GB would have said if Redknapp had spent £20m on a 29 year old.

VdV was a good player for us but we got a very good price for a player who would have struggled under AVB. I don't just mean on the pitch either, AVB clearly doesn't have much time for big egos and I cannot see VdV getting along with a manager like this.

That would be terrible business and I can't help thinking what GB would have said if Redknapp had spent £20m on a 29 year old.

VdV was a good player for us but we got a very good price for a player who would have struggled under AVB. I don't just mean on the pitch either, AVB clearly doesn't have much time for big egos and I cannot see VdV getting along with a manager like this.

How would have VdV struggled on the pitch bearing in mind mediocre players such as Sigurdsson and Dempsey (either / or / both) currently start every single game for us

How would have VdV struggled on the pitch bearing in mind mediocre players such as Sigurdsson and Dempsey (either / or / both) currently start every single game for us

I don't think that he has the discipline to fit long term into an AVB team.

I think it is fair to say that we miss them both. I agree completely with what you say about our lack of ability to get the ball into the final third, and to control games. Today, that was certainly the main problem, especially in the firsty half. We even struggled to get out of our defensive final third. We tried to play our way out at the back, but there was just nothing on. To be fair, Wigan did well at making at it difficult for us. Their three attackers put pressure on us high up the pitch and didn't allow our defenders and deep midfielder time on the ball to turn and face Wigan's goal. Something that led to many passes back to Fridel. However, when we did have some time on the ball at the back, there was simply nothing happening in front of the ball. There was no pass on. So the ball went back to Friedel again. We seem completely clueless when we have to control play at home. That has been the case in most hoem games this season. Lacking a playmaker of Modric's caliber is part of the reason, I am sure, but I also wonder what we actually aim to do when we build our attacks. Harry got criticized at times for lacking a plan in similar types of games, but things have certainly not improved so far with AVB. At the moment we are a decent counter-attacking team with the pace of Lennon and Bale, and Defoe's movement when he does have space, but we are completely incapable of controlling a game ourselves. That is obviously why we have done better away from home so far.

I do think we also miss some creativity and invention in the final third though that Rafa often provided. Dempsey doesn't have it, end of story, and Sigurdsson is a nervous wreck at the moment. He does have decent vision and a decent pass on him when on form, but right now he is hiding in games. Rafa was always a player who showed for the ball, who wanted to make things happen. Dempsey and Sigurdsson doesn't, and obviously don't have the same abilities either. Rafa got criticised at times for dropping too deep, but at least there was something happening around him, he was more dynamic in his play. Rafa could also receive the ball in a tight spot, and with a good first touch he'd get out of there with the ball at his feet. Dempsey and Sigurdsson don't have the same ability due to inferiour technique and also slower feet.

We also miss the more mental abilties of Modric and Rafa. We lack their experience, and confidence and leadership. By leadership I don't mean running around pointing and shouting, but taking charge of the game, wanting to make something happen. Who will do that in our team at the moment? Who will show for the ball, and take responsibilty for creating something? Especially when things aren't running as smootly as we would have liked? There is no one really. Not in the middle of the park at least. We have wingers who can create something, but they rely on support from elsewhere most of the time. They can't take charge of a game like players playing in a central position can. This is also a huge problem for us right now the way I see it.

Excellent post.

What good is this if we lose millions by dropping several places lower down the league? False economy in my opinion.

What good is this if we lose millions by dropping several places lower down the league? False economy in my opinion.

It's not a false economy.

Getting a good price for a player is a good thing.

Spending that money on players who have not yet been up to scratch would be the issue.

Disclaimer: I think one of the two of them will come good this season, though i can't yet work out which one.

If the manager didn't want him, I can understand why Levy cashed in when he did. Once VdV passed 30 his value would have declined steeply.

I'd love to still have VdV but I do not think that him and AVB would have worked out (for similar reasons that there are ructions with Ade) can see how it was a good business decision to sell when we did.

How we spent the money is a different matter. I was concerned that we were signing a one (half a) season wonder when we picked up Sig. Dempsey played his best football for Fulham coming in from the left, a position that he was always going to struggle to get with us. I think that Dempsey would probably fair better in 4-3-3 but the rest of the team is not geared up for it.

AVB relies on big players to do special things, just like he did at Porto.
We are missing key players and its starting to show. That's all

Agree. If we get Ade match fit and Hudd more fitterer and one of Sandro/Jake/Parker back we can still get results until Dembele returns.

VDV was a sub/or subbed for us under AVB, I believe? VDV doesn't get 90 mins in the EPL, he knew the crack and it was a smart move all round to sell him.

Im curious about something. When people say Sig is a nervous wreck what the hell do you mean by that? I mean is Dempsey also a nervous wreck? What about Walker? or Livermore? or Thudd? Why arent they nervous wrecks?

I loved VDV but moreso his passion etc than his footballing ability. He used to drop SO deep, was never disciplined and was a bit slow. I would take him back now but moreso because he is better than some of those aforementioned players.

Im curious about something. When people say Sig is a nervous wreck what the hell do you mean by that? I mean is Dempsey also a nervous wreck? What about Walker? or Livermore? or Thudd? Why arent they nervous wrecks?

I loved VDV but moreso his passion etc than his footballing ability. He used to drop SO deep, was never disciplined and was a bit slow. I would take him back now but moreso because he is better than some of those aforementioned players.

He looks like the move is too big for him in my opinion. He played with much more swagger/confidence when he was at Swansea. His body language says to me that he looks frightened of making a mistake.

He looks like the move is too big for him in my opinion. He played with much more swagger/confidence when he was at Swansea. His body language says to me that he looks frightened of making a mistake.

He had a great half a season with them but maybe he was just on a very hot run of form and this is the real Sig.

Back