• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

So how come several pairs of eyes (ref, ref's assistant and asst behind the goal) persistently miss keepers leaving the line before a pen is taken?

they either don't know the laws or they think they are allowed to pick and choose when to enforce them, they regularly let clear obstructions near the goal line go too

they either don't know the laws or they think they are allowed to pick and choose when to enforce them, they regularly let clear obstructions near the goal line go too
So they need the VAR. It only needs to kick in when the keeper saves having left his line early. Like offsides, it's pretty clearcut and easy for the VAR to resolve. Not as though play has to be interrupted either.

Will surely come in sooner or later.

I know its not liked by some but in practice football is common law, they do not apply the letter of the law and do use "common sense" and "standard practice" to make decisions- yesterday although they left the line it was within the limits that they tend to allow so it was fine, there are some GK who leap forward a yard or so before the pen is kicked, these are normally called up.

Watch the majority of penalties in the last 5 years, see if the keeper so off his line and which ones are made to be retaken - with this in mind if enforced strictly either the rules need to be re-written to match the actualities of the game (in lots of areas) or people need to use precedent to make judgment on correctness.

The game has never been refereed by the letter of the law and imo would be poorer if it was.

I know its not liked by some but in practice football is common law, they do not apply the letter of the law and do use "common sense" and "standard practice" to make decisions- yesterday although they left the line it was within the limits that they tend to allow so it was fine, there are some GK who leap forward a yard or so before the pen is kicked, these are normally called up.

Watch the majority of penalties in the last 5 years, see if the keeper so off his line and which ones are made to be retaken - with this in mind if enforced strictly either the rules need to be re-written to match the actualities of the game (in lots of areas) or people need to use precedent to make judgment on correctness.

The game has never been refereed by the letter of the law and imo would be poorer if it was.
Agree with most of that, especially regarding interpretation of the rule and applying common sense, but disagree that the more obvious transgressions are normally called up. In this WC alone we've witnessed a number of clearcut situations when keepers have not been penalised despite coming way off their line before the kick's been taken. I'd accept there is scope for some interpretation of the rule but surely movement has to be minimal? If offsides that are hairline can be decided by VAR, why not GK movement for penalties?

What I'm saying is the VAR should be allowed to overrule the ref when there has been a clear and obvious breach of the rule concerning movement by the keeper before the kick is taken. Could not be more simple.

Agree with most of that, especially regarding interpretation of the rule and applying common sense, but disagree that the more obvious transgressions are normally called up. In this WC alone we've witnessed a number of clearcut situations when keepers have not been penalised despite coming way off their line before the kick's been taken. I'd accept there is scope for some interpretation of the rule but surely movement has to be minimal? If offsides that are hairline can be decided by VAR, why not GK movement for penalties?

When I said more obvious I mean those that come way off the line, I don't think its been that bad this WC, they are off but within the limits that the refs feel comfortable with. VAR or even the Ref himself (its obvious without VAR) can decide that any movement could mean a retake, they chose not to currently - I am guessing similar to contact/ jostling at corners, unless its extreme they chose not to as this is how its always been and they are comfortable with it.

Again either a rule re-write, apply it strictly and accept any negative impact that goes along with that (sending of GK's / endless retakes) or accept this is the way its ruled.

When I said more obvious I mean those that come way off the line, I don't think its been that bad this WC, they are off but within the limits that the refs feel comfortable with. VAR or even the Ref himself (its obvious without VAR) can decide that any movement could mean a retake, they chose not to currently - I am guessing similar to contact/ jostling at corners, unless its extreme they chose not to as this is how its always been and they are comfortable with it.

Again either a rule re-write, apply it strictly and accept any negative impact that goes along with that (sending of GK's / endless retakes) or accept this is the way its ruled.
But those are precisely the ones I'm ones I'm talking about! There have been at least two in this WC - and even one is one too many - where the ref has inexplicably failed to penalised what was not just clear and obvious but actually quite outrageous movement off the line prior to the kick before making the save. VAR would have resolved those in seconds, so I'm struggling to understand your objection to the use of the technology for instances like that, it makes no sense whatsoever.

But those are precisely the ones I'm ones I'm talking about! There have been at least two in this WC - and even one is one too many - where the ref has inexplicably failed to penalised what was not just clear and obvious but actually quite outrageous movement off the line prior to the kick before making the save. VAR would have resolved those in seconds, so I'm struggling to understand your objection to the use of the technology for instances like that, it makes no sense whatsoever.
Which ones? I have not seen really bad ones, I though last nights were within normally allowed. Although I am normally against VAR I have no view on it in these instances (other than if we wanted to enforce the rule we could do it easily without VAR), just making the point that this is not a refereeing mistake but something that is going complicity - they are not trying to enforce this law strictly.

Which ones? I have not seen really bad ones, I though last nights were within normally allowed. Although I am normally against VAR I have no view on it in these instances (other than if we wanted to enforce the rule we could do it easily without VAR), just making the point that this is not a refereeing mistake but something that is going complicity - they are not trying to enforce this law strictly.
Ronaldo was denied a retake when the Iran keeper flouted the rules by first dancing behind his line (he's supposed to be on it) then advancing off it before the kick was taken.

Get back on your line! 15 of the 19 penalties in Sunday's World Cup last 16 games saw goalkeepers encroach... so why aren't referees penalising them?
  • Goalkeepers were caught leaving their lines early during penalties on Sunday
  • Both World Cup last 16 clashes saw stoppers break the rules to try and win
  • A staggering 15 of the 19 spot kicks saw a goalkeeper leave his line prematurely
  • Igor Akinfeev, Kasper Schmeichel and Danijel Subasic were all guilty of foul play

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...reak-rules-leaving-lines-early-penalties.html

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-2_17-19-18.gif
    upload_2018-7-2_17-19-18.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5
    42 bytes · Views: 5
    42 bytes · Views: 6