• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

We had 100 years of trying to fix on field officiating and it was still abysmal.

Yes but now we have to wait around for 5 mins to see if we can celebrate a goal. Which takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the game.

If we can get it fully automated with an ai running it. Instantaneous consistant decisions. I'd be happy. With a ref and linesman on the pitch just to ensure peace on the pitch. Or if we can get it down to 8 seconds for a decision like the dutch. Fine. Until then i think it's worse having than not having.

I hadn't but I have now.
Are you referring to the one of their points where they cite the "constant discourse about VAR decisions overshadowing the match itself..."?
Not specifically that, just their overall reasoning (ie the list) is compelling when you actually weigh up the positives vs negative effects on the game beyond just getting decisions right.

PMGOL claim decision accuracy is up to 96% now, whereas it was 82% pre-VAR.
Saw that. In fairness, that's a massive increase in accuracy and a very strong argument for keeping VAR. I'm still on the side that says "offsides only" and would be interested to see the stats with offside stripped out.

That number should be higher than 96% though.

If they can speed it up, get the automated offsides and some competent people using it, it would work better.

Saw that. In fairness, that's a massive increase in accuracy and a very strong argument for keeping VAR. I'm still on the side that says "offsides only" and would be interested to see the stats with offside stripped out.

I think there is some low hanging fruit, get rid of "clear and obvious", allow VAR to overrule the on pitch ref and adjust the rules to make more decisions objective.

I think there is some low hanging fruit, get rid of "clear and obvious", allow VAR to overrule the on pitch ref and adjust the rules to make more decisions objective.
You're looking for perfection in a game where some decisions have a bit of subjectivity about them. 100% will never happen and I think the cost of getting there is too high. Get the objective stuff right, offsides and goal line, and that's good enough for me.

You're looking for perfection in a game where some decisions have a bit of subjectivity about them. 100% will never happen and I think the cost of getting there is too high. Get the objective stuff right, offsides and goal line, and that's good enough for me.

good enough for me for now too, but the needle should only go one way

talk of going back to the bad old days of 1/5 decisions being wrong is madness imo

Another thing I would say is that VAR has highlighted how unfit-for-purpose the rules of the game are. They’re far too vague and subjective. Maybe what’s needed is not scrapping VAR, but overhauling the rules. (There’ll always be some subjectivity, but I still think the rules could be massively improved from where they are now).

Last edited:
Another thing I would say is that VAR has highlighted how unfit-for-purpose the rules of the game are. They’re far too vague and subjective. Maybe what’s needed is not scrapping VAR, but overhauling the rules. (There’ll always be some subjectivity, but I still think the rules could be massively improved from where they are now).

I think we should go back to the basis of 'its only a foul if it really hurt'.

This is clearly a populist move by Wolves. We hate the same that you do. It's not getting abolished. It needs to be improved.

Marking their own homework on completely subjective matters too
Yeah I wonder if they have things like, That touch on Raya was a correct decision that would previously have been missed. Which actually, before VAR wouldn't be a mistake because it was never even a foul etc.

Basically finding decisions that no one blinked an eye at back in the days before VAR to prove a point

Back