• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

They stop the game, tell the ref, and the ref decides if the play since then has a significant effect either way. Again,.much like in rugby - the ref is IN CHARGE of the game.
So how long is that? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? 1 minute? 5 minutes? What if the other team scores in the meantime? Or a red card situation, or serious injury?

It's just too many pitfalls that would cause even more controversy than what it would possibly rectify. It's trying to solve a very small problem by potentially cause more and more serious ones. It's a total no go.

So how long is that? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? 1 minute? 5 minutes? What if the other team scores in the meantime? Or a red card situation, or serious injury?

It's just too many pitfalls that would cause even more controversy than what it would possibly rectify. It's trying to solve a very small problem by potentially cause more and more serious ones. It's a total no go.
Sorry, I wasn't clear there, I meant to write "next stop in play". I've seen it happen in rugby (either the Welsh or French ref - the good ones!). They heard they got it wrong, the decision to give the try was awarded and people accepted that that was the right and fair action. It's an attitude issue.

Sorry, I wasn't clear there, I meant to write "next stop in play". I've seen it happen in rugby (either the Welsh or French ref - the good ones!). They heard they got it wrong, the decision to give the try was awarded and people accepted that that was the right and fair action. It's an attitude issue.

A no from me. I've never been a fan of var and accept that there will be officiating errors. Don't mind it if ai does the offside, instant and consistant. Otherwise we are ruining the flow of the game.

We have that already. If something happens on the pitch, play goes on until it's out of play, or the ref decides to stop play. But when the ball crosses the goal line, it's effectively out of play until restart. They then either give the goal or don't. You can't then restart the game, and five minutes later the ref changes his mind and want to give/disallow a goal. It would be absolutely ridiculous, and all sorts of things can happen in between

We have that already. If something happens on the pitch, play goes on until it's out of play, or the ref decides to stop play. But when the ball crosses the goal line, it's effectively out of play until restart. They then either give the goal or don't. You can't then restart the game, and five minutes later the ref changes his mind and want to give/disallow a goal. It would be absolutely ridiculous, and all sorts of things can happen in between
It would be ridiculous, yes.
So is the officials not being able to communicate basic information to eachother. So the alternative is we accept those kind of mistakes happen.

If the problem is officials not being able to communicate basic information to each other. Maybe just solve that problem? Without creating others.
Agree 100%. And it shouldn't be difficult. I made the point at the outset that the audio is an embarrassment - the quality of the audio is amateur level, and the quality of the communication is genuinely beyond words.
I was offering a solution for when it does happen. But getting the basics right should always be the obvious area to address.

I see calls for the guy to be sacked. I think that is going too far. Everyone can make a mistake. Should he be disciplined, yes. If it happens again yes sack him. Or maybe for now put him back on the pitch.

Think the way it's handled is more the problem. Too many people talking, too much going on. For what should be a fairly simple decision.

Hopefully, that is sorted out.

Would like to hear the audio of the next hour in the var room. The goal was scored what 35 mins.

That would be fun. They must have been pantsing it.

I see calls for the guy to be sacked. I think that is going too far. Everyone can make a mistake. Should he be disciplined, yes. If it happens again yes sack him. Or maybe for now put him back on the pitch.

Think the way it's handled is more the problem. Too many people talking, too much going on. For what should be a fairly simple decision.

Hopefully, that is sorted out.

people learn from mistakes, it’s a crazy attitude, you want people have that experience

I can't believe that at one point I had a bit of fondness for Liverpool under Houllier when they had that Scottish veteran midfielder, Berger, that Guinean LB, a young Gerrard and Owen. Now they are a comic relief in danger of believing their own hype.

Would like to hear the audio of the next hour in the var room. The goal was scored what 35 mins.

That would be fun. They must have been pantsing it.

They must have known there would be a lot of scrutiny after game.
To send off another Liverpool player he must have balls of steel.
At least they didn't try and "even it up" with a dodgy pen.

They must have known there would be a lot of scrutiny after game.
To send off another Liverpool player he must have balls of steel.
At least they didn't try and "even it up" with a dodgy pen.

I think the on pitch ref was blameless in this, the VAR guys clearly told him “off” for the offside call.

Which is good. As he had nothing to even up.

They did kind of bottle it by making him go to the monitor to check the first red card, was a blatant red.

I think the on pitch ref was blameless in this, the VAR guys clearly told him “off” for the offside call.

They did kind of bottle it by making him go to the monitor to check the first red card, was a blatant red.

I haven't listened to it, but there seems to be some confusion around who actually said 'off'. Whether it was VAR or an assistant or just the ref telling a player his decision.

No doubt it's the var boys that fudged up, he must have known that he would be in the firing line as well though.
After the stick he got for the utd game I think he did really well to not cave in the second half knowing what's coming to him, especially as its Liverpool. That's the worst bit of it, that it was them with their habit of going after anyone who "wrongs" them.

I haven't listened to it, but there seems to be some confusion around who actually said 'off'. Whether it was VAR or an assistant or just the ref telling a player his decision.

The onfield decision was offside which the ref told them. Although they didn't seem to hear and thought the onfield decision was a goal. That's why they said check complete. (Go with the onfield decision). When they realised their mistake they tried to "delay".

Back