• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

How anyone can see all of this going on and think the issue is VAR, rather than all of the historical goals which were awarded and shouldn't have been I don't know.

The entire history of the game has asterisks against it now, how many offsides and fouls were missed, it must be thousands.

VAR is saving us from an uncomfortable truth, we need to officiate games on what actually happened, not what a human thought happened. Imagine if we still treated medical practice in the same way.

I would agree entirely if they had resolved the problems, but we are getting more controversy each week not less.

Wow, what a mess!

That kind of reminded me of when Phil Walton is asked to comment on reffing decisions on BT and no matter what he agrees with the decision!

why doesn’t he comment on the blurred image, the frame rate, or the point at which the image is stopped?
Because he doesn’t understand the tech, just the rule

How anyone can see all of this going on and think the issue is VAR, rather than all of the historical goals which were awarded and shouldn't have been I don't know.

The entire history of the game has asterisks against it now, how many offsides and fouls were missed, it must be thousands.

VAR is saving us from an uncomfortable truth, we need to officiate games on what actually happened, not what a human thought happened. Imagine if we still treated medical practice in the same way.
Your back to history
This is about the future of the game which is actually in a state of ridicule because of VaR

Do you know that most of medical practice is judgement? Clinicians read decision tool algorisms and look at the odds. Sometimes they just flip a coin.

There's practically no such thing as a fact in science. You can never prove anything; you can only disprove things.

Everything is fallible - that's the human condition. So why kill all the joy and excitement of something, and all you are achieving is making that fallibility more exposed, contentious and obvious?

Not really
The calls came because someone said there was tech that made it better
It hasn’t
And now it’s been invested in no one what’s to admit they fudged up

Nah, the game was an absolute joke, all the post game analysis on sky was about officiating errors and consistency.

There were constant accusations of corruption and bias, inexplicable decisions, mistaken identity, players getting three yellow cards, being flagged offside in their own half, clear goals not given, goals given where the ball clearly hadn’t crossed the line, comical diving being rewarded, assaults missed, it was amateur hour top to bottom.

VAR has made most of that better already, players have changed from merely knowing everything is going to get watched back.

Getting rid of it would take us back to the dark ages.

The calls for VAR started because the game was in a state of ridicule.

That was the case for goal technology - definitely.

But there weren't really major problems with offsides or fouls. Everyone just accepted that they were matters of judgement.

It was more tv companies using replays to judge ref-ing decisions and the referees not liking not being able to control that power to scrutinise their decisions. And the consequence is they've just brought a plague on everyone's houses, including their own.

Football isn't really football anymore. It's refereeing, with occasional distracting bits of play.

Nah, the game was an absolute joke, all the post game analysis on sky was about officiating errors and consistency.

There were constant accusations of corruption and bias, inexplicable decisions, mistaken identity, players getting three yellow cards, being flagged offside in their own half, clear goals not given, goals given where the ball clearly hadn’t crossed the line, comical diving being rewarded, assaults missed, it was amateur hour top to bottom.

VAR has made most of that better already, players have changed from merely knowing everything is going to get watched back.

Getting rid of it would take us back to the dark ages.
It’s not changed one bit
The talk is still on decisions

The calls for VAR started because the game was in a state of ridicule.

Haha it really wasn't, I have stated this before but refs were getting 95-98% of all decisions correct, thats far from ridicule and probably stands up to todays gave with VAR.

The noise came from managers looking to for excuses and rather than hitting them with fines for respect we gave them a platform to moan, rather than makiing them look at themselves. Ironically the same managers are still moaning

All of this would have been solved with a "refs decision is final" and a harder line respect campaign round the game. Instead we pander to the mouthy few

A lot of that doesn't occur very often, and is suitable for fixing by video review. Goal line tech is great and has fixed that issue.

The problem seems to be this desperation to use tech that's not there yet to solve all the issues. Video review could be used to correct the most egregious offside mistakes without any complaint, we could all see Super Jan was in his own half, and Milner was about a mile offside, it's all this pause the video when you think it shows the team you don't like were offside and get your ruler out crap that lets it down. If the linesman is miles off, correct him. If he keeps getting it wrong, sack him.

Once the robots can make these judgements without input from Bobby Madley then let them do it, until then I'd rather they largely left it to the bloke with the flag.

It doesn't all need to go though. Just let it do what it's fully capable of doing.

One way of taking away/reducing the margin of error, could be to factor in the speed of the players.
Take x amount of frames before and after the ball is judged to have been played, and see how far the attacker and defender (or ball) have moved in that time. That will give you the speed of movement between the two. The difference will then become the margin of error, and the thickness of the lines could be set at that margin.
If they overlap, then no offside.
This will all be calculated in an instant, so would not take any longer.

One way of taking away/reducing the margin of error, could be to factor in the speed of the players.
Take x amount of frames before and after the ball is judged to have been played, and see how far the attacker and defender (or ball) have moved in that time. That will give you the speed of movement between the two. The difference will then become the margin of error, and the thickness of the lines could be set at that margin.
If they overlap, then no offside.
This will all be calculated in an instant, so would not take any longer.

Or why not let the linesman call it, when they get 99.5% of decisions right anyway?

As part of abolishing VAR, the one concession I would make would be to allow 2 referees - one per half of the field (like netball and ice hockey). That means they are always closer to the action, and it should help to take their egos out of the game.

Or why not let the linesman call it, when they get 99.5% of decisions right anyway?

As part of abolishing VAR, the one concession I would make would be to allow 2 referees - one per half of the field (like netball and ice hockey). That means they are always closer to the action, and it should help to take their egos out of the game.
Agree about that, but I don't think they'll get rid of VAR, and then they should at least take measures to get it right.

As most folks who know me i thought VAR was brick and a BAD idea when they first brought it in. What is plain to see is that there are far more fans who are now seeing what a joke the whole idea was, it brick and i hope that more fans will see just how useless it is.

I will say that the goal line tech as been a great addition and was needed but the rest is gonad*s. And its driving fans away from the atmosphere at the game.

As most folks who know me i thought VAR was brick and a BAD idea when they first brought it in. What is plain to see is that there are far more fans who are now seeing what a joke the whole idea was, it brick and i hope that more fans will see just how useless it is.

I will say that the goal line tech as been a great addition and was needed but the rest is gonad*s. And its driving fans away from the atmosphere at the game.

I was calling for VAR for years, I really thought it would be great, but have had to eat my words with a lot of humble pie. It's been an absolute brick show. Sure, some things swing your way, but when all the margins are pretty much fingernails and a toe, then fudge it, what's the point? I hate it with a passion. I get mad when we get decisions against us, and embarrassed whenever we get one in our favor (at least if the margin is minuscule).

Back