• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TV Advice needed

PaulH

Jamie O'Hara
Afternoon all,

I am in need of a new TV and I am looking at 40" Smart TV's. I have in mind the Samsung UE40F6400 which looks good value.
Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) of it or are there any comparible or better TV's for the same kind of price?

I'm drawn to the Samsung so that it is compatible with my Galaxy S4. Is that a gimmic or a good thing?

Ideally I would want something over 200hz

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Paul

I'm in the same boat, although looking at a TV from lower down their range (UE40F6320) - I don't want the voice recognition stuff - so also interested to hear if anyone has a view.

Don't waste your money on smart tv features.

In a couple of years when content/sources change you'll need to replace a perfectly good tv to watch it.

You're far better off getting a tv that's a really good screen first and foremost - any old rasbpi/google box for well under £100 will play anything you want with the advantage of only costing £100 if it can't be updated (which it probably can).

Agree with Scara, forget gimicks. Get the best screen and the right features, look at the connectivity, some tvs only have 3 hdmi ports - i have 4 hdmi devices, usb connectivity, wireless are a must for me.

Forget gimmicks like gesture and voice recognition

Forget "smart" features - we got a Samsung Smart TV at work in a meeting room so people could use it for Skype but it takes about 10 minutes to turn it on, select Smart, select Skype, wait for the TV to think about it, wait for the TV to download a new version of Skype, painstakingly type in the name of the person you want to Skype... and then you find they aren't there.

Meanwhile you can just click a button on your laptop to achieve the same thing in 1 second.

I have a smart Samsung TV but didn't buy it for the "smart" features, it is also 3d but again I didn't buy it because of that. I bought it because it had the best picture for the money at the time. The problem is guys that the better panels have the smart features in already so trying to avoid them is a folly.

The screen you mention seems to have good on line reviews but I would still try to see one running before buying, however for £500 you cant really go wrong in my opinion.

Thanks chaps. Like Boonie says most of them seem to have smart features whether you want them or not these days, so I doubt I'll be able to avoid it. I'll go and have a look on Saturday.

I'm in the same boat, although looking at a TV from lower down their range (UE40F6320) - I don't want the voice recognition stuff - so also interested to hear if anyone has a view.

This is the one I am looking at! It appears to be very good value for money!

How well does Netflix run on Smart TV's? also can you get SkyGo on them?

Netflix runs fine, you can also change the dns settings so you can have US netflix which has loads more content. Sky Go is not available though.

Netflix runs fine, you can also change the dns settings so you can have US netflix which has loads more content. Sky Go is not available though.

How do you do that? I cancelled my Netflix account due to the poor content

Only thing I use of the Samsung Smart features is the Lovefilm app when utterly desperate. The rest is tosh. Also be very wary and check for proper reviews as our 400hz (my ****) Samsung 3D TV can't even handle a car going around a track on Top Gear WHICH REALLY BURNS MY TOAST. Even watching Blu Ray via a hi quality hdmi connection gives judder and motion fuc*ery at times.

UE40D6530WKXXU x 4 3D Glasses - £650. Other than the occasional motion issues the TV has performed well. Not tested the 3D properly but would assume at that price it will be budget.

Ah you mean:

Go into custom mode on the motion plus and set Blur Reduction at 7 and Judder reduction at 0. Also calibrate the other settings too but that simple change will stop the motion blur.

Don't go to a Currys or whatever else is out there that is warehouse based to see the picture. They are set up to adhere to the bright lights they have inside, which makes the whole process meaningless IMO.

If you want to look at a product try a store that is small, and is more one to one service, make sure the person dealing with you is a sales assistant 24-7 and not one that comes in for 3hrs after school.

I would look at the product stats first
Then read reviews of a product, and then customer reviews on comments section of review.
I would look for the product on a tech forum like AVFORUMS.com. Remember more people are likely to post detrimental posts so don't get to bogged down in all the mire, look more for product failure than anything. Like Halo's etc, which is more manufacturing problems.
Then look for deals that include a 5 year warranty, even if they are £50 more that 5 year warranty is brilliant. I have had two TVs recently where they have both been replaced, one 3 years old the other 18 months. Both were grand+. I know it's come as a cliché, but I will always now buy from John Lewis. There customer service is brilliant. I cannot fault them one bit.

Then look for deals that include a 5 year warranty, even if they are £50 more that 5 year warranty is brilliant. I have had two TVs recently where they have both been replaced, one 3 years old the other 18 months. Both were grand+. I know it's come as a cliché, but I will always now buy from John Lewis. There customer service is brilliant. I cannot fault them one bit.

I am completely with SH on this. The lighting isn't fiddled in John Lewis to make the screens look good, and the sales assistants tend to be very knowledgeable and don't push you towards buying the most expensive hardware. They also have their price match pledge which makes them as competitive as many vendors, with the peace of mind of their warranty. I wouldn't waste time going anywhere else to be honest.

How do you do that? I cancelled my Netflix account due to the poor content

[video=youtube;KwC8hC0ZzDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwC8hC0ZzDY[/video]

Look here for instruction on how get into the dns settings, then just look online for the latest address codes. I have done it on my PS3 so I have us netflix on that and UK on my TV.

PS3 Change:
[video=youtube;TIhzCixoVHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIhzCixoVHA[/video]

New codes:

176 58 107 53
158 255 215 175

Back