• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Turgid Mk II?

Eriksen, Lamela & Alli have the best "vision" in the squad. They all manage to find Kane and give him clear chances on goal.

Vision is about seeing the runs that 98% of other players don't. Like Hoddle and Gascoigne used to all the time. Pass completion stats etc. can't show 'missed opportunities', only observation can show that.

Vision is about seeing the runs that 98% of other players don't. Like Hoddle and Gascoigne used to all the time. Pass completion stats etc. can't show 'missed opportunities', only observation can show that.

I would still say those 3 setup loads of chances that are missed. I can't really separate them in terms of chance creation - whichever one plays in the hole/#10 position tends to be in the best position to open things up/create chances. One thing they all need is space to manoeuvre and get their heads up.

I would still say those 3 setup loads of chances that are missed. I can't really separate them in terms of chance creation - whichever one plays in the hole/#10 position tends to be in the best position to open things up/create chances. One thing they all need is space to manoeuvre and get their heads up.

Sorry - by missed opportunities I meant that they don't see a run on their blindside that would cut a team apart, and instead play a safe sideways pass

Verts and Alder are both very good at spotting and executing switch passes.

Sorry - by missed opportunities I meant that they don't see a run on their blindside that would cut a team apart, and instead play a safe sideways pass

ah I see what you mean. They do play forward passes though, otherwise Kane would never be found in the box ;)
Fair point that some runs are missed/not exploited - I will keep an eye on that over the coming weeks.

Verts/Alder - I would always argue its easier to spot and play passes/through-balls when the play is all in front of you. Its much tougher at the high end of the pitch when there is more pressure, less time and everyone is much more tightly marked.

If I wanted to be pedantic there isn't any player who can see the blindside pass but I understand what you mean. I think Eriksen and Alli spot the passes fairly well, Verts and Alder tend to have more time to see the whole field and pick out their diagonals.

I'm hoping this is the 16/17 equivalent of "Serious Relegation Fears" and we end up playing the best attacking football known to man, smashing the sh*t out of Barca in the CL on our way.

I said 'option' of having a quick transitioner. We've been dreadful offensively this season so far without one. Set-up too defensive against average sides

IMO that's been about Pochettino hedging his bets in the absence of Dembele. I expect a step change when he returns, whilst acknowledging that questions may remain about general fitness levels.

Our problem is that we hold the ball too much in CM, and don't get it to the AMs until our opponents have already got their lines set. It's slow transitioning that holds us back, not guile in the final third (which is the symptom, not the cause)
So someone like Sissoko who can get the ball from CM to the final third very quickly with the ball at his feet is in fact a solution rather than being turgid

Turgid is obviously an overstatement. We were very good last season with Dembele and Dier in central midfield. But backup/competition for Dembele remains a worry and the overall creativity deep in midfield does as well. I don't see that as a good role for Sissoko based on what he's done for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and I'm not convinced that gets anywhere near the best out of Alli. Could see a change to a more 4-3-3 looking system with two box to box players and that might be very promising as I think all of Sissoko, Alli and Dembele could do a great job in that kind of a line-up. Even Eriksen might find a lot of joy in a role like that.

Might also see one of the younger players pushed through. In some ways Mason being sold could indicate that as it opens up a bit of space in our squad for either Carroll, Winks or Onomah to get some games and perhaps push on. Wouldn't be the first time Pochettino has surprised us by trusting a young player with a lot of responsibility.

I think Alli, Eriksen, Kane and Lamela all have excellent vision and passing ability. When Poch's team is in form, we are much more up-tempo than AVB's side. We scored a ton of goals last season and we will again once we find our form.

Back