• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Turgid Mk II?

Gutter Boy

Tim Sherwood
My concern with our squad now is that, if you rate the passers in our squad in order, it goes something like this:

Winks
Lamela
Verts
Alder
Eriksen

We've now got 4 main CMs, of whom Dier is the best passer.

Dier-Dembele-Wanyama-Sissoko is to me a little too similar to Sandro-Dembele-Capoue-Paulinho (the famous turgid quartet)

I really think we'll miss the option of the quick, aggressive, transitioning passes of Mason and Bentaleb. Unless Winks is going to play a much bigger role than anyone foresees.

Thoughts?

GB, you've obviously seen a lot more of our youth team than I have but what is this obsession about Winks. In the times i've seen him in our first team he's played a relatively small cameo role without showing anything that puts him above any starter we have.

I'd like to know what I've missed.

We challenged for the title last year with the 'turgid' pairing of Dier and Dembele, so perhaps the tactics before were the problem as much as the players

Bentaleb played no role last year and Mason only on the fringes

My concern with our squad now is that, if you rate the passers in our squad in order, it goes something like this:

Winks
Lamela
Verts
Alder
Eriksen

Dier-Dembele-Wanyama-Sissoko is to me a little too similar to Sandro-Dembele-Capoue-Paulinho (the famous turgid quartet)

I really think we'll miss the option of the quick, aggressive, transitioning passes of Mason and Bentaleb. Unless Winks is going to play a much bigger role than anyone foresees.

Thoughts?

Turgid Mk1 was down to AVBs tactics (shudder). So no this is not Mk2 unless the little con artist has manged to sneak back in to whl somehow.

WTF dude? Bentaleb played what, two full games last season?

Mason was injured for most of it.

How much of Winks have you actually seen? None in the premiership, who says he can even handle it?

You're such a fudging WUM.

GB, you've obviously seen a lot more of our youth team than I have but what is this obsession about Winks. In the times i've seen him in our first team he's played a relatively small cameo role without showing anything that puts him above any starter we have.

We challenged for the title last year with the 'turgid' pairing of Dier and Dembele, so perhaps the tactics before were the problem as much as the players

Eriksen is our best passer by the way.

WTF dude? Bentaleb played what, two full games last season?

Mason was injured for most of it.

How much of Winks have you actually seen? None in the premiership, who says he can even handle it?

You're such a fudgeing WUM.

All of this ^^

[/thread]

Winks
Lamela
Verts
Alder
Eriksen

Thoughts?
That might be the issue mate.

Leaving Alli and Kane off the list is just crazy and Sissoko has a nice eye for a pass too.

What I suspect we'll see is an ability to hold the ball either through good short moving and passing or through strength and quick, direct ball carrying.
Things that should allow us to disrupt the oppositions shape and create space and angles we can exploit either via through balls or the exceptional range of long range shooters we have (Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Dier are all very handy from 20-25 yards and Sissoko, Lamela and Dembele all have it in their locker, albeit not consistently)

Winks
Lamela
Verts
Alder
Eriksen

Thoughts?

Damn. You're right.
So much of our best PL season last year was based around the massive contribution from those two players and all those games they were responsible for turning round.

Winks
Lamela
Verts
Alder
Eriksen

Thoughts?

But will we miss Mason being injured and Bentaleb being Lord Bountiful with his possession of the ball? They've gone lets move on or will this lament continue for the rest of the season?

Not in terms of alround ability/readiness. Just in terms of having the vision and execution to move the ball quickly and accurately. I doubt his defensive game is ready yet; I'm just talking about purely being a ballplayer.

Last edited:

I said 'option' of having a quick transitioner. We've been dreadful offensively this season so far without one. Set-up too defensive against average sides

That might be the issue mate.

Leaving Alli and Kane off the list is just crazy and Sissoko has a nice eye for a pass too.

What I suspect we'll see is an ability to hold the ball either through good short moving and passing or through strength and quick, direct ball carrying.
Things that should allow us to disrupt the oppositions shape and create space and angles we can exploit either via through balls or the exceptional range of long range shooters we have (Kane, Alli, Eriksen, Dier are all very handy from 20-25 yards and Sissoko, Lamela and Dembele all have it in their locker, albeit not consistently)

Our problem is that we hold the ball too much in CM, and don't get it to the AMs until our opponents have already got their lines set. It's slow transitioning that holds us back, not guile in the final third (which is the symptom, not the cause)

In the end GB it's about being able to "mix things up." We have seen games where passing around in pretty triangles doesn't break down the opposition especially against teams "parking the bus." To be able to hold the ball and draw opponents onto us or break their through a press can win us points also. Now we have both options as well as cover to employ both options where necessary. I see us being stronger than last season as a result.

Our problem is that we hold the ball too much in CM, and don't get it to the AMs until our opponents have already got their lines set. It's slow transitioning that holds us back, not guile in the final third (which is the symptom, not the cause)

That is assuming teams actually break those lines in the first place. Look so called pass and movement teams such as Arsenal have had problems for years breaking down opponents who sit deep.

Reactions: DTA
Back