• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tube strike

As it stands you are right, I'd like that mandate expanded to include anything that prevents the general public going about their normal business.

I think from a legal standpoint it would be impossible. You aren't prevented at all, other services are available. It just makes life difficult which is of course the whole point.

Boris got in with a far lower thresh hold.

What has that got to do with this. He won a majority vote agains other candidates. This is a single supplier service with a union for its members. As a union they should not be able to call strike action unless they have a majority. A majority here is over 50%.

One thing has nothing to do with the other and is a ridiculous statement.

What has that got to do with this. He won a majority vote agains other candidates. This is a single supplier service with a union for its members. As a union they should not be able to call strike action unless they have a majority. A majority here is over 50%.

One thing has nothing to do with the other and is a ridiculous statement.

They did have the majority of the vote. The problem people are talking about it to do with the turn out. It is exactly the same.

They did have the majority of the vote. The problem people are talking about it to do with the turn out. It is exactly the same.

Ah I see. My bad then for jumping down your comment when I did not know the real truth. So it was 30% of the union members who voted for the strike but that was over 50% of those that actually bothered to vote.

After the last two days I have to say that I have very little sympathy for the Underground workers. They constantly roll out these strikes and it gets them nowhere. If I have got this whole situation right, then they are complaining that the ticket staff will lose their jobs. Some 750 of them. Apparently there will be no Forced redundencies and actually around 450 current staff would accept a redundeny if it was offered to them.

So what are they esentially stiking about? the fact that they do not want to lose thier ability to sit in an office and do nothing. And be forced out onto the platforms?

With prices for travel in london being amongst the highest in the world. The only way they are going to curb more prices hikes in tickets is to manage the properties they have. By getting in more shops etc their income will increase and this should help to keep the ticket prices at a lower price.

The future is coming and people are not using the ticket windows. Almost everyone now has an Oyster Card. And a lot of those people either top up online or at the machines. So the whole thing of closing ticket offices makes sense.

I had a hell of a jouney yesterday from my normal 45mins to 4 hours. It just seems that that the Unions dont ever get what they want anyway. It just means we have days of hell travelling in to work.

What I do appreciate is the guys who are still working on the line. The drivers that are in at the moment and the staff in the stations. They have a lot of angry and frustrtated passengers coming thier way and they are dealing with it whilst others force strike action.

yeah fair play to those picking up the slack, the central line did a really good job this morning i'd say, running an epping to marble arch service with only 1 change

Ah I see. My bad then for jumping down your comment when I did not know the real truth. So it was 30% of the union members who voted for the strike but that was over 50% of those that actually bothered to vote.

After the last two days I have to say that I have very little sympathy for the Underground workers. They constantly roll out these strikes and it gets them nowhere. If I have got this whole situation right, then they are complaining that the ticket staff will lose their jobs. Some 750 of them. Apparently there will be no Forced redundencies and actually around 450 current staff would accept a redundeny if it was offered to them.

So what are they esentially stiking about? the fact that they do not want to lose thier ability to sit in an office and do nothing. And be forced out onto the platforms?

With prices for travel in london being amongst the highest in the world. The only way they are going to curb more prices hikes in tickets is to manage the properties they have. By getting in more shops etc their income will increase and this should help to keep the ticket prices at a lower price.

The future is coming and people are not using the ticket windows. Almost everyone now has an Oyster Card. And a lot of those people either top up online or at the machines. So the whole thing of closing ticket offices makes sense.

I had a hell of a jouney yesterday from my normal 45mins to 4 hours. It just seems that that the Unions dont ever get what they want anyway. It just means we have days of hell travelling in to work.

What I do appreciate is the guys who are still working on the line. The drivers that are in at the moment and the staff in the stations. They have a lot of angry and frustrtated passengers coming thier way and they are dealing with it whilst others force strike action.

If you kept an open mind and allowed yourself to understand the different sides of the argument then you would probably be better placed to comment fairly on what is actually being fought for in terms of industrial action. You say Underground workers keep rolling out these strikes like it is everyone but that is so misinformed. What strikes keep rolling out considering this is the first one in 3 years and the 2nd one fully supported by all grades in those unions since 2006? The majority of the strikes that have been balloted for or have occured over the last 10 years have been either train driver only or train driver led or strikes that have been called by maintenance staff which gives drivers a reason to support their strike on grounds of health and safety. The only strike supported by station staff and service control in the last 10 years was in 2006 & 2011.

Your tickets won't be at a lower price until they finish their capital upgrades programme which by conservative estimation won't be until at least 2025. That is when they are scheduled to finish upgrading the signalling and train stock for all lines but I can say now that it won't happen. Even then, why are GLA, City Hall and the Mayor going to lower your prices? You will have continued to pay prices higher than inflation for decades when it is all done so why will they stop? They know people need the tube regardless so prices won't ever be going down.

They won't be putting any shops into stations, they don't like it ruining the look and ambience of the station.

What people are striking for is that they don't believe a blanket closure of every ticket office makes sense. I personally understand the need for modernisation and fully support the closure of a number of tickets offices throughout the network but I believe it should be done on a station by station basis where schematics and auditing will dictate where uptake and demand is because I can assure you that plenty of people still use ticket offices at stations like Kings Cross and Oxford Circus despite the presence of machines.

They also believe that consultation should be just that, not an email sent to all staff outlining what will be happening and when it will be happening by with no room for negotiation. People taking VS is fair enough but even that is being offered at a reduced rate than normally would be the case. 3 grades covering around 6,000 people will be scrapped creating 2 new grades which will have about 3,500 positions. The process for selection and criteria hasn't been discussed or negotiated, just the likely scenario that it will be most of the two higher grades that go who will just be manoeuvered into position with the rest being made gateline staff and having a minimum of 6-7k knocked off their wages but with some losing a lot more depending on what grade they were prior.

A lot of the staff in stations are offices bods who don't work in the stations normally, they are being used to counter the strike. The drivers that are in are ASLEF union represented but rest assured, when they come for drivers then those drivers will be out on strike big time. The only reason they weren't yesterday/today is because they weren't balloted as that union don't represent station staff grades and they don't give a damn about the rest of the company.

Hopefully that clears things up slightly for you and enhances your understanding.

Last edited:
bunch of gangsters, it's about time we waited them out, shut the tube for 3 months if we have to

we need to break the cycle and send them
a message

[TE="Libero, post: 508599, member: 36"]I think from a legal standpoint it would be impossible. You aren't prevented at all, other services are available. It just makes life difficult which is of course the whole point.[/QUOTE]

Which makes it social and economic terrorism in my book, so restrictions need putting in place to make it an absolute last resort when all other avenues have been exhausted.
It has ceased being a protest and is now just a standard part of negotiations, and that is not acceptable.

[TE="Libero, post: 508599, member: 36"]I think from a legal standpoint it would be impossible. You aren't prevented at all, other services are available. It just makes life difficult which is of course the whole point.[/QUOTE]

Which makes it social and economic terrorism in my book, so restrictions need putting in place to make it an absolute last resort when all other avenues have been exhausted.
It has ceased being a protest and is now just a standard part of negotiations, and that is not acceptable.

thankfully i can get the bus to/from work so it doesn't really affect me - other than adding 20 minutes on to my journey

I might go and join the picket lines.

Take a little speaker and get some James Brown karaoke going.

All abooooard.........the night train.

( actually, this may be the only circumstance where a flash mob dance thing is acceptable)

Back