• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

What success did Arsenal have in their years of austerity? It wasn't until they could spend in the market that they won the first of their 3 recent FA Cups and prior to that their last trophy was before they started balancing the books, during this period they fell from title challengers to scraping top 4, eventually falling out of it once they could spend again.

Whereas we on the other hand have gone from a top 6 side to a top 3 side (runners up twice) in a much more competitive top 6 - no tangible success in the way of trophies granted but i dont think you can blame the club for that when the sides that have been built have proven to be 2nd/3rd/4th best in the country over 38 games over an extended period, managers are clearly being provided with the means to build squads capable of winning trophies, failure to do so has to be layed at their door ultimately (if you're the type of person that needs to blame someone for that)

Apologies, mate - I meant prior to moving in. Arsenal moved into their period of austerity having won a lot more, with a visionary chairman at the helm and a (then) legendary manager to see it through. We're in our period of penny-pinching having won sweet f*ck all.

They give us one of their higher earners who spends a lot of time injured in exchange for a cheaper Eriksen. I think we'd be better off going for just cash.

If anyone thinks having fudging idiots like me and the rest of the inmates on here own and run a football club will lead to happiness and success they have really lost their marbles.

I'll make a bet - in aggregate, the loons on here can make decisions as good or better than your average football chairman. Maybe even Levy. ;) Almost every German club manages it, after all, from Dortmhnd to Bayern to FC Emmen.

Or just assign roles to the folks on here - that works too. :p

@Bedfordspurs - stadium build,
@scaramanga - executive packages,
@Danishfurniturelover - culinary operations,

and so on. :D

14% as reported previously in this thread!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Seems a bit off to me.

'The Annual Report for 2010 indicated that ENIC had acquired 76% of all Ordinary Shares and also held 97% of all convertible redeemable preference shares, equivalent to a holding of 85% of share capital.' (Wiki)

And then we went private, so it's reasonable to assume that ENIC owns almost all the shares now.

I'll make a bet - in aggregate, the loons on here can make decisions as good or better than your average football chairman. Maybe even Levy. ;) Almost every German club manages it, after all, from Dortmhnd to Bayern to FC Emmen.

On it..
Nah I couldn’t sort that mess out
Imagine a programme with my spelling

Seems a bit off to me.

'The Annual Report for 2010 indicated that ENIC had acquired 76% of all Ordinary Shares and also held 97% of all convertible redeemable preference shares, equivalent to a holding of 85% of share capital.' (Wiki)

And then we went private, so it's reasonable to assume that ENIC owns almost all the shares now.
No it isn't.
They have for example made no attempt to buy mine, all 980 of them, and if they were to buy them the sensible thing would be to contact all the remaining shareholders at the same time. There was a facility for individuals who so wished to sell them back to the club in about 2012-13, but this was always going to be minimally taken up since thousands of shares had previously been sold individually over the years as presents for people to stick the certificate up on their wall; getting a pound back wouldn't be worth the hassle for those people. Also Lord Ashcroft increased his holding via the AIM market a week or two before the company was taken private, from around 4-5% to 6-7%. This had to be declared publicly as it took him above the 5% mark. Had he sold his shareholding, it would surely have been newsworthy enough to be in the media, which it hasn't been.
Had ENIC's shareholding gone above 95%, I believe they would have had the right to forcibly buy the rest, although why would they bother to get to that level with its unnecessary concomitant cost? They effectively own the club with their 86% and can make whatever decisions they like, though for anything substantial they need the approval of over two-thirds of the shareholders by value, which they already have, so all that is needed is to tell all shareholders like me (and my notifications come by email) that there will be an EGM, at which their proposals will be passed on the nod.
If they, as you wish them to, sell the Club, the offer will apply to all shareholders anyway.

No it isn't.
They have for example made no attempt to buy mine, all 980 of them, and if they were to buy them the sensible thing would be to contact all the remaining shareholders at the same time. There was a facility for individuals who so wished to sell them back to the club in about 2012-13, but this was always going to be minimally taken up since thousands of shares had previously been sold individually over the years as presents for people to stick the certificate up on their wall; getting a pound back wouldn't be worth the hassle for those people. Also Lord Ashcroft increased his holding via the AIM market a week or two before the company was taken private, from around 4-5% to 6-7%. This had to be declared publicly as it took him above the 5% mark. Had he sold his shareholding, it would surely have been newsworthy enough to be in the media, which it hasn't been.
Had ENIC's shareholding gone above 95%, I believe they would have had the right to forcibly buy the rest, although why would they bother to get to that level with its unnecessary concomitant cost? They effectively own the club with their 86% and can make whatever decisions they like, though for anything substantial they need the approval of over two-thirds of the shareholders by value, which they already have, so all that is needed is to tell all shareholders like me (and my notifications come by email) that there will be an EGM, at which their proposals will be passed on the nod.
If they, as you wish them to, sell the Club, the offer will apply to all shareholders anyway.

Thanks for clearing it up for me, mate. So, if I'm reading you right, ENIC owns about 86%, Lord Ashcroft owns between 6 and 7%, and the remainder are owned by individual shareholders like yourself and the ones you described, correct?

It's interesting that you mention that anecdote about people buying shares to put the certificates up. Perhaps it shows a desire for ownership amongst ordinary fans, even if only symbolic.

Apologies, mate - I meant prior to moving in. Arsenal moved into their period of austerity having won a lot more, with a visionary chairman at the helm and a (then) legendary manager to see it through. We're in our period of penny-pinching having won sweet f*ck all.

Sorry but what's your issue here then? That we aren't Arsenal? Well sorry but perhaps you chose the wrong team to follow.

We missed the boat in the 90s when the CL money poured in and altered the dynamic of the English game forever - Arsenal didn't, by the time Levy/Enic took control of the club the closed shop at the top was already well established, you can't hold them accountable for the mistakes/missed opportunities of the previous regime(s) since then the only clubs to have broken that have been two clubs run by oligarchs and ourselves, all others that came close failed (worth noting those whose owners over-invested all faced relegation in the coming years)

Thanks for clearing it up for me, mate. So, if I'm reading you right, ENIC owns about 86%, Lord Ashcroft owns between 6 and 7%, and the remainder are owned by individual shareholders like yourself and the ones you described, correct?

It's interesting that you mention that anecdote about people buying shares to put the certificates up. Perhaps it shows a desire for ownership amongst ordinary fans, even if only symbolic.
That's as I understand it, yes.
From memory, the individual share sales were marketed as "presents for a loved-one" at a relatively small cost, if at a substantial mark-up. I don't think the Club sold them but entrepreneurially minded individuals bought up blocks of them on the AIM and split them up for resale.

Seems to be moving on:

SSN: MIKEL UNDERGOING BORO MEDICAL

John Obi Mikel is undergoing a medical at Middlesbroughtoday after agreeing personal terms with the Championship club.

Mikel held talks with Tony Pulis at the Middlesbrough training ground last week before returning to London to visit his family.

The Nigeria international, who has been playing for Chinese side Tianjin TEDA, is keen to return to the UK.

Pulis wants to add another attacker to his squad after landing Huddersfield winger Rajiv Van La Parra on loan earlier this month.

Proper Pulis transfer, isnt it? Expensive, past it, dour player. No doubt with a nice little kick back from the agent.

Yeah, I can see Madrid going for that....

Cards on the table upfront - I would absolutely rather we keep hold of Eriksen. It is the absolute best outcome.

That being said...

...IF he really is to go, and we cant keep him - James and cash is a pretty good deal (assuming a decent amount of cash).

I know it seems James hasnt set things alight at Bayern, but he is a massively talented player and Poch could work wonders on him.
If he could find his mojo again, it wouldn't be too much of a downgrade.

I think he would need to prove a willingness to work hard defensively, not sure thats ever been his game, but if we get him on song going forward he would be a major asset and certainly soften the blow.

May I suggest

@BrainOfLevy pitch dimensions
@GinolaGinolaGinola half time entertainment

Interesting. Anyone know why Ashcroft has a holding. Is he a Spurs fan? It doesn't seem like an obvious way for him to make money - I'm sure he has other more obviously lucrative opportunities. I thought he spent most of his money on VCs and polls.

Interesting. Anyone know why Ashcroft has a holding. Is he a Spurs fan? It doesn't seem like an obvious way for him to make money - I'm sure he has other more obviously lucrative opportunities. I thought he spent most of his money on VCs and polls.
Ten years or so he had holdings in both Tottenham and Watford. I'd imagine he's holding onto his Spurs Shares in the hope of a substantial profit. The value of his shares if the Club was sold for around £2 billion, which ENIC reputedly want, would mean his shares would have increased in value about ten-fold. He was said to be a Spurs fan. Someone purporting to be his nephew Dan Ashcroft posted on a Spurs forum years ago purporting to be ITK because of his "uncle's" connections.

Back