• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Tittle-Tattle

Nothing is going to happen today. It’s a Sunday. It’s gods day. A day of rest.

Everyone is in the pub getting smashed, or minging in bed still recovering from a skinful from a big last night Saturday.
Unless we sign some Jewish bloke...

When has this ever worked?

Those of you of a certain vintage may recall Sheffield Wednesday having a sriker crisis in early months of 1993 and throwing their centre half Paul Warhurst up front as a makeshift centre forward. Incredibly he scored 13 goals in 16 games which helped Wednesday get to the FA Cup Final; he also received an england call-up (at a time we had shearer, wright, teddy, Ferdinand etc) and was then bought by Blackburn for £2.75m (which was a lot of money back then!)

It was a Leicester 2016 style freak statistical anommoly though as Blackburn usually only selected him as a defender and he only scored 4 goals in 4 seasons with them.

One of the cult heroes of the early Premier League years!

Those of you of a certain vintage may recall Sheffield Wednesday having a sriker crisis in early months of 1993 and throwing their centre half Paul Warhurst up front as a makeshift centre forward. Incredibly he scored 13 goals in 16 games which helped Wednesday get to the FA Cup Final; he also received an england call-up (at a time we had shearer, wright, teddy, Ferdinand etc) and was then bought by Blackburn for £2.75m (which was a lot of money back then!)

It was a Leicester 2016 style freak statistical anommoly though as Blackburn usually only selected him as a defender and he only scored 4 goals in 4 seasons with them.

“Gamekeeper turned Poacher”

(contractually obliged to be repeated anytime Warhursts name was mentioned)

Apologies if already explained....this is the first time I've looked at this thread and its 140 pages and I've only trawled through the last 3!

Any transfer deals we do will be restrained by the Home Grown Player (HGP) rule which requires us to name a squad of up to 25 players of which:
  • At least 8 must be home grown (i.e. they have played in an english or welsh academy system for at least 3 years prior to turning 21) - currently this list includes Trippier, Rose, Winks, Kane, dele, davies (and now for 19/20) walker-peters.
Any players under 21 can be added to the squad but are not part of the 25 formal list (i.e. Skipp, Marsh)

• Therefore a maximum of 17 non home grown players. Our current squad consists of 15 players: Lloris, Toby, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Lamela, Wanyama, dier (despite being english was brought up through S Lisbon's academy pre-21), Sissoko, Llorente, Foyth, Gazzaniga, Eriksen, Aurier, Lucas, Janssen. This means there are two spaces available following Vorm's release and I am also excluding N'Koudou who was not registered with us post January.
  • For every HGP short of the requirement of 8 you lose one squad space i.e. if you only register 7 HGP then you can only have a total squad size (excluding home grown U21 players) of 24; if you only have 6 HGP a squad of 23 etc.
Therefore we could bring in one non-HGP (ndombele) but before we could sign another we'd need to do either/or:
a) Buy a HGP (Clarke and Sessegnon don't count as U21) without selling any of the existing - Trippier seems on the cards
b) Sell one of our existing Non HGP to free up a space - Janssen is the obvious ones but we haven't been able to flog him in the last 4 windows.

Sorry a bit complex and may also be repeating something already explained!

Good call! Didn’t Chris Sutton start out as a centre back too?

Not sure if he ever started games but I seem to remember Chris Samba weighing in with a few goals and causing problems when Blackburn used to put him up front too.

Good call! Didn’t Chris Sutton start out as a centre back too?

Not sure if he ever started games but I seem to remember Chris Samba weighing in with a few goals and causing problems when Blackburn used to put him up front too.
Yeah, I was just thinking that Sutton was another of Norwich’s combi-backs and Dion Dublin was another who started off as a centre back for the Canaries.

Warhurst was always one of my first signings on Football Manager Italia. Mr.Versatility, one week he'd replace the injured Paolo Maldini, the next he was pulling the strings in midfield cos Albertini was only 90% fit. The man picked up multiple scudettos and cups under my expert guidance & tactics (4-4-2 Attack). ahhh the 90s.

Back