• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Or it could be undone because we brought in the wrong kind of player who threw off the team chemistry and harmony. This is an area that many people underestimate. Making sure you have the right personalities in your team is a huge challenge and when you have gotten to the point where you have achieved this harmony and unity you are very very careful about disrupting it, because it probably accounts for 50% of your success with the other 50% being the quality of your players. So yeah, take a gamble on that and, if doesn't work out, try rebuilding that chemistry you had before, as if it's the easiest thing in the world to do.

I fully get these lessons on squad unity and not buying a rotten egg for the dressing room!

But tell me how many minutes, hours does two transfer windows equate to???

All that time wasted by not securing a target with this wonderful mentality that will plug a gaping hole in our squad, two windows to not address a glaring need is negligent for me, so I feel I am allowed to feel a little down that we have failed to sign a striker in two windows.

I very much hope I perk up soon with my mood and I very much hope I am whittling over nothing.

Agreed, though if you spend two transfer windows trying to sign someone in a certain position and aren't able to, then that probably suggests that you're being too picky. Same with house-hunting, job-hunting etc - often the perfect solution doesn't exist, but you need a house to live, job to pay the bills, CF to score the goals....how many windows do we leave it before we revisit our requirements so that we do sign someone?

Or it suggests that it's not something that is considered as urgent, but we are open for the right opportunity.

And when you see stoke blow £18m on a DM, Saudi Sportswashing Machine have signed GHod knows how much, just heard that Everton are spending £13m on someone.....whilst we've brought in £12m from Townsend and cut the wage bill a little by loaning out Fazio....and we cant find a CF to provide some cover for Kane?!?!?

I know we're building a stadium but still.....

the prices there show how much we would actually need to spend to sign someone decent

Last edited:
Nigeyman is perfectly right. Yes Poch wants the right players. We get that. But when the summer window closed, more or less to a man, we said, Jan 1st we need a new CF. In Daniel Levy and Poch's open mic session, DL acknowledged, yep we need a new CF. The club get it, we get it, Poch also wants a new CF, just the right one.

So I think all are in agreement, we need another CF. I don't think anyone disagrees with that?
No, no one disagrees with that...at a high level. Including Poch and Levy.

However Poch/Levy also have lower level requirements too. They want to get a striker that has the right skill set and personality available at the right price with acceptable wage demands.

Suddenly the available pool shrinks massively. So they say let's leave it.

I think the sticking point is finding someone better than Son but worse than Kane. And for the right price.

Transfer Deadline day for us is becoming what Liverpool v Saudi Sportswashing Machine is for Sky Sports scheduling team. You remember fondly how good Summer 2010 (Van Der Vaart) and even Summer 2012 (Dempsey, Lloris and Dembele) yet the reality now is that it's a damp squid.

For me the bad apple argument should not be the overriding factor in our decision to buy or not, and I doubt it is. Poch has shown he is no respecter (not a real word is it?) of price tag, seniority, or reputation. If we buy a striker and they start acting up then they will be ruthlessly dealt with as has happened already to many before.

What is disappointing to me is it looks like plan A and B have failed, and we have no plan C, or plan C hasn't worked out either. Personally I think this is an opportunity missed and we needed to get someone in but lets see how it pans out.

If the worst comes to pass and Kane gets injured I'd like us to go with Son up top, certainly not Chadli, and if Son is not an option then I'd play Alli on point. He looks like he has the movement, workrate and finishing ability to succeed up there.

No, no one disagrees with that...at a high level. Including Poch and Levy.

However Poch/Levy also have lower level requirements too. They want to get a striker that has the right skill set and personality available at the right price with acceptable wage demands.

Suddenly the available pool shrinks massively. So they say let's leave it.

I think the sticking point is finding someone better than Son but worse than Kane. And for the right price.

And its the right thing to do. I am sure that we are willing to spend on a CF. Levy will spend, but he won't waste cash a la Liverpool. £30m on Berahino is probably too much. It might damage the club in other transfers. On the other hand, sign the right player who can add goals and we have an improved chance to deliver trophies. Of course DL gets this, so they will be trying their hardest I have no doubt. They just won't spend silly money for the sake of it.

Last edited:
Steven Fletcher Welcome!

The Scot arrived on loan tonight in the last hours of the winter transfer window. He will not let them insensitive supporters.

He will not leave you unmoved. It will not go unnoticed. Neither at the Velodrome stadium, or on other stages in France. OM has a Scotsman in his engine. Knowing the mindset of the people, it is already a first good news.

The other good news is the arrival of a central striker, as expected. Steven Fletcher is Olympian. His first steps in the center Robert Louis-Dreyfus early evening speak volumes about the state of mind of man: a very professional demeanor, simplicity in exchange. It also has the frank look: This is a fighter. We already love ...

Soon, we will not be alone ...

Born in Shrewsbury in England, Steven Fletcher made his classes at Hibernian FC, club based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Soon, he was noted for his skill in front of goal and starts with the first team of the club during the 2003-04 season when he was only 17 years old. The following season, it strengthened its position in a team, fight 26 games and recorded 5 goals.

His playing style seduced the leaders of Burnley and after four seasons in Scotland, Fletcher joined the Premier League. On October 3, he scored his first goal in the English Championship side Birmingham. He continues his adventure in the Premier League by joining Wolverhampton (2010) and Sunderland in 2012.

If he is not known to be a technical player, Steven Fletcher, the top of its 1.85 my habit to test opposing defenses with an imposing physique. His club performances are rewarded with selection for the national team but he was born in England, Steven Fletcher decides to represent the colors of Scotland, the birthplace of his mother. He currently has 25 caps during which he scored 8 goals.

At 28, the striker a new challenge in an already busy career where his experience in the Premier League is already a reinforcement of the highest order for Olympique Marseille.

https://www.om.net/actualites/223462/welcome-steven-fletcher

He may not be a technical player, but at least he's 1.85 meters tall.

We haven't won anything but the improvement in the team is clear for all to see.

What would an injury to Toby or Wimmer prove? It is easy to have some imaginary player in your head who comes in and slots into the side instantly but we have no way of knowing whether it would work out like that. What if that happened and Dier slotted effortlessly back into central defence and Bentaleb and Dembele formed a strong partnership in central midfield?

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Half of this board wrote off this season before a ball had been kicked because we didn't sign a DM and a striker in the summer. They were wrong then, who is to say that they are right now?

That getting rid of two central defenders in a transfer window where we'd already lost Verts for two months, was idiotic given the lack of central defenders in the squad.

Dier has excelled in DM this season and you want to push him back into defence where he was hardly setting the world alight.

Your glass is half full attitude is commendable but this is the real world and I can pretty much guarantee we'll get more injuries with the schedule of games we've got over the next few months.

As for having one out and out striker who already looks knackered..

For me the bad apple argument should not be the overriding factor in our decision to buy or not, and I doubt it is. Poch has shown he is no respecter (not a real word is it?) of price tag, seniority, or reputation. If we buy a striker and they start acting up then they will be ruthlessly dealt with as has happened already to many before.

What is disappointing to me is it looks like plan A and B have failed, and we have no plan C, or plan C hasn't worked out either. Personally I think this is an opportunity missed and we needed to get someone in but lets see how it pans out.

If the worst comes to pass and Kane gets injured I'd like us to go with Son up top, certainly not Chadli, and if Son is not an option then I'd play Alli on point. He looks like he has the movement, workrate and finishing ability to succeed up there.

Plans A, B and C seem to have been Dembele, Berahino and Sandro and for whatever reason we have not managed to close those deals but they haven't gone anywhere else either which suggests that it was not just us who could not do this business. Plan D appears to be stick with what we have.

If you claim that we had a Plan A and Plan B and Plan C, why is it disappointing? It's admitting that the club did its due diligence, but because there wasn't Plan X and Plan Y and Plan Z it means they don't give a brick? Do you really think that only us fans see the need for cover for Kane and the club hierarchy is completely oblivious to it? I really wish all you doubters could be flies on the wall in the meetings of the club's transfer hierarchy to see and hear what is really going on. Maybe then you would understand that it isn't for lack of trying.

Plans A, B and C seem to have been Dembele, Berahino and Sandro and for whatever reason we have not managed to close those deals but they haven't gone anywhere else either which suggests that it was not just us who could not do this business. Plan D appears to be stick with what we have.
Looks like.

If you claim that we had a Plan A and Plan B and Plan C, why is it disappointing? It's admitting that the club did its due diligence, but because there wasn't Plan X and Plan Y and Plan Z it means they don't give a brick? Do you really think that only us fans see the need for cover for Kane and the club hierarchy is completely oblivious to it? I really wish all you doubters could be flies on the wall in the meetings of the club's transfer hierarchy to see and hear what is really going on. Maybe then you would understand that it isn't for lack of trying.
Mate you are putting words in my mouth and lots of them. I'm sure they tried everything they could. I never said otherwise.

That getting rid of two central defenders in a transfer window where we'd already lost Verts for two months, was idiotic given the lack of central defenders in the squad.

Dier has excelled in DM this season and you want to push him back into defence where he was hardly setting the world alight.

Your glass is half full attitude is commendable but this is the real world and I can pretty much guarantee we'll get more injuries with the schedule of games we've got over the next few months.

As for having one out and out striker who already looks knackered..

Two central defenders who the coach appeared to have no intention of using. If Poch has decided that we are better off playing Dier in central defence than Fazio or Veljkovic, I think that we have to trust his judgement on that. I do not see how it can be described as an idiotic decision though consider one looked a liability on his only first team appearance this season and the other has been miles away from the first team.

I do not want to move Dier but I could understand why Poch may think that it is a better option than bringing in a new defender or playing ones that he does not have faith in,

You are right, we will get more injuries. What we do not know if that if we had brought in players who Poch thought would not fit in with his way of playing or without the qualities that he wants in the squad, whether that would have given us a better chance with coping with those injuries.

People have been saying Kane looks knackered after every flat performance this season. Funnily enough, more often than not he has played excellently the following game. People often see what they are looking for or what supports their views.

Mate you are putting words in my mouth and lots of them. I'm sure they tried everything they could. I never said otherwise.
Not really. The way I read your post is that your general sentiment is that that this is an opportunity missed, which implies that the club isn't doing enough, and that's what I was responding to. If that's not what you meant, my apologies.

Miguel Delaney on ESPNFC live transfer blog: Spurs are an interesting case because Poch wants such a specific type of character - not just player. Better in the long run.

Can't say I disagree.

Back