• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Reports that Liverpool are in negotiations for Berahino, for, wait for it....

£22.4m!!!

About as realistic as the rumours of us paying £10m for him. A young English CF who's playing in the PL wont go for less than £15m - I cant see that this kid has done enough yet to go for £22m, unless you're including a huge pile of add-ons such as a couple million for winning the CL, couple mill for 50 England caps etc and various others

About as realistic as the rumours of us paying £10m for him. A young English CF who's playing in the PL wont go for less than £15m - I cant see that this kid has done enough yet to go for £22m, unless you're including a huge pile of add-ons such as a couple million for winning the CL, couple mill for 50 England caps etc and various others

Pool pays stupid money for players .. not in the least surprised if they do pay that for him (clubs also know they are desperate for a fit striker)

Poch clearly likes a big number 9 hold up player in the mould of Adebayor, Benteke and Bony. What striker do you think would be ideal in his system in Utopia?

Supped-up versions of Kane and Soldado. Poch had fairly big CFs at Espanyol and Soton, but they were smart, cultured ones who could drop deep and play with their back to goal (Osvaldo and Lambert), not powerful beasts.

I think Poch would be more than happy with a choice of Kane, Soldado, and a bit more pace and directness from wing forward in Rodriguez

Supped-up versions of Kane and Soldado. Poch had fairly big CFs at Espanyol and Soton, but they were smart, cultured ones who could drop deep and play with their back to goal (Osvaldo and Lambert), not powerful beasts.

I think Poch would be more than happy with a choice of Kane, Soldado, and a bit more pace and directness from wing forward in Rodriguez

I would agree (although it doesn't have to be JR for me, just someone in the mold of pacey wing/forward)

Hoping to see rumours of a Sissoko bid to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, really liking what I've seen of him of late.

Really hope we dont go in for Rodriguez - way over-valued if you ask me, in the same way that I said Lallana was overvalued last summer. Why not go and buy Konoplyanka this Jan for say £5m given his contract situation? Its almost risk free

But they aren't supped up. My question was more around whether you had any example of the kind of striker who would suit the system. I mean anyone. Would you prefer an Aguerro type or a Lewandowski type or a Dzeko?

Ade was preferred fairly consistently until the reported falling out. Ade is the striker we're in the need of replacing. Kane plays in the the #10 role a lot and if he's the only physical option up front we're leaving ourselves short (literally) I think.

If we want a pacey striker option I think he should replace Soldado and we should replace both him and Adebayor.

Oh. And Lambert can easily be described both as a powerful beast and as a smart, cultured player.

Hoping to see rumours of a Sissoko bid to Saudi Sportswashing Machine, really liking what I've seen of him of late.

For which role and position for us?

He's been playing essentially as a counter attacking #10/attacking midfielder for Saudi Sportswashing Machine from what I've seen. Two deeper midfielders behind him doing most of the defending, him available for the break where he can use his athleticism.

It's a position where we're well stocked. Plenty of people claim it's the best positions for Kane, similarly so for Eriksen, we have Lamela and Chadli who can play there, Mason apparently prefers playing further forward. And we're only rarely a counter attacking team.

Don't see how he would strengthen us at all.

Ade was preferred fairly consistently until the reported falling out. Ade is the striker we're in the need of replacing. Kane plays in the the #10 role a lot and if he's the only physical option up front we're leaving ourselves short (literally) I think.

If we want a pacey striker option I think he should replace Soldado and we should replace both him and Adebayor.

Oh. And Lambert can easily be described both as a powerful beast and as a smart, cultured player.

Don't think we can replace both at the same time .. too much risk

To me, that is why, despite everyone's "don't expect much in January" comments, we must get someone.

The side lacks pace and width, hence my priority would be a quick wing/forward type. Dump Ade, get the new guy accustomed to playing Poch's system and if Soldado continues to flounder replace him in summer. Keeping same, replacing both Bobby/Ade and having Kane walk into his 2nd real season with two new guys .. I think you hurt next season's chances before you start.

Don't think we can replace both at the same time .. too much risk

To me, that is why, despite everyone's "don't expect much in January" comments, we must get someone.

The side lacks pace and width, hence my priority would be a quick wing/forward type. Dump Ade, get the new guy accustomed to playing Poch's system and if Soldado continues to flounder replace him in summer. Keeping same, replacing both Bobby/Ade and having Kane walk into his 2nd real season with two new guys .. I think you hurt next season's chances before you start.

What risk?

Ade isn't even in the squad for games at our most packed fixture schedule despite being reported fit by Poch to the press. Soldado is doing alright at best, he's putting in a shift, he's scored a goal, but we're not in any way shape or form relying on him. He hasn't settled in, he seemingly doesn't fit our system particularly well. Replacing him with someone else who isn't settled really seems like a sideways step at worst. If that new player actually suits our system it could really only be a benefit.

I just don't see what it is we're risking... If we were replacing currently established, functional players that were doing a job for us week in week out, or even players that were currently doing a good job as backups I would see the risk. With Ade there's absolutely no such risk right now as he's seemingly about as close to a start as Ekotto. With Soldado there's very little risk because he's not delivering. We're hoping that he will start to deliver, just like we would with a new striker.

Surely for next season it would be better to have two new strikers coming in now, giving them half a season to settle than replacing one now and one in the summer? The real issue is who is available, or rather, if strikers that will be available to us in the summer are currently unavailable. In that case it might be better to wait. Or if we think we'll get bigger offers for Soldado come the summer than we will now.

What risk?

Ade isn't even in the squad for games at our most packed fixture schedule despite being reported fit by Poch to the press. Soldado is doing alright at best, he's putting in a shift, he's scored a goal, but we're not in any way shape or form relying on him. He hasn't settled in, he seemingly doesn't fit our system particularly well. Replacing him with someone else who isn't settled really seems like a sideways step at worst. If that new player actually suits our system it could really only be a benefit.

I just don't see what it is we're risking... If we were replacing currently established, functional players that were doing a job for us week in week out, or even players that were currently doing a good job as backups I would see the risk. With Ade there's absolutely no such risk right now as he's seemingly about as close to a start as Ekotto. With Soldado there's very little risk because he's not delivering. We're hoping that he will start to deliver, just like we would with a new striker.

Surely for next season it would be better to have two new strikers coming in now, giving them half a season to settle than replacing one now and one in the summer? The real issue is who is available, or rather, if strikers that will be available to us in the summer are currently unavailable. In that case it might be better to wait. Or if we think we'll get bigger offers for Soldado come the summer than we will now.

Soldado knows our system, puts in a shift and creates space that allows (at worst) Eriksen/Chadli room to score

I doubt we could find two strikers that could improve us in January, think we need to find at least one.

Logic would be get 1 one now, 1 in summer

Soldado knows our system, puts in a shift and creates space that allows (at worst) Eriksen/Chadli room to score

I doubt we could find two strikers that could improve us in January, think we need to find at least one.

Logic would be get 1 one now, 1 in summer

So you make Soldado third choice, to then wait and see if he somehow improves until the summer?

Soldado has not been performing up to a good enough standard. He puts in a shift, but whatever space he creates is not enough. He has to improve to be good enough, that's what we're still hoping for when he plays. If we sign a new striker to be ahead of him in the line he won't even get much time to do that.

I think the chance of us finding a striker that's good enough improves if we sign two strikers instead of one.

Really hope we dont go in for Rodriguez - way over-valued if you ask me, in the same way that I said Lallana was overvalued last summer. Why not go and buy Konoplyanka this Jan for say £5m given his contract situation? Its almost risk free

Hardly risk free, that will be a key position for us and one which is essential we get right to play Poch's system and kick on. Someone who's never played in the premiership especially when they're from the Ukrainin/Russian leagues is a big risk in itself let alone when you consider the role they will need to perform in our team if we're to get top 4.

Barely anyone from there has performed here, could quite easily be another Zhirkov who routinely did well in the CL came here and couldn't even get in the Chelsea 18 after 6 months.

Hardly risk free, that will be a key position for us and one which is essential we get right to play Poch's system and kick on. Someone who's never played in the premiership especially when they're from the Ukrainin/Russian leagues is a big risk in itself let alone when you consider the role they will need to perform in our team if we're to get top 4.

Barely anyone from there has performed here, could quite easily be another Zhirkov who routinely did well in the CL came here and couldn't even get in the Chelsea 18 after 6 months.

For what it's worth, I don't think he was that bad a player: I thought he was quite effective when he did play. I agree with the general point, though: It's a risk bringing in players from that part of the world at this time. And I'd like us to stop second-guessing Poch and bringing in players he isn't 100 percent keen on and comfortable with, so if Poch wants Rodriguez, and the Almighty in the directors' box sanctions a move (and indicates a willingness to see it through to completion), I'd say just give him Rodriguez.

Me too! Always said Berahino was the flavour of the day a few months back. Never gonna be a top player. Let the knob head waste some more money!! \o/

I take the opposite view to you (and a fair few others on here it seems) I think Berahino has everything that it takes to become a top class centre forward.... Pace, power, work rate, touch, balance, confidence. £22 million is probably over priced in terms of what he is worth right now, but you're paying a premium because of what he could become and it wouldn't surprise me if £22 million looked like good business in a couple of years time.

I think he was talking about the financial risk, which is relatively small because of his contract situation.

There's of course a opportunity cost when signing someone that doesn't work out.

Have been reports or speculations at least that his attitude is not top notch, we really could do without signing more players without the right attitude until we've at least shipped out the current bunch struggling with that.

I take the opposite view to you (and a fair few others on here it seems) I think Berahino has everything that it takes to become a top class centre forward.... Pace, power, work rate, touch, balance, confidence. £22 million is probably over priced in terms of what he is worth right now, but you're paying a premium because of what he could become and it wouldn't surprise me if £22 million looked like good business in a couple of years time.

the drink driving thing worries me, shows a complete lack of judgement and common sense

Back