• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham vs Manchester United OMT

I'm grateful I got to experience Spurs in a CL final once in my lifetime (even if moderately to heavily drunk), but in a way I agree. The decline started way ahead of that though, for reasons only the group knows of. Had we won it things might have looked differently, who knows. Though as a foundation for success we gained nothing. When we didn't win it we might as well not have been in it as it looks.
Decline’s tend to happen when you don’t try to make a single improvement. If you stand still in this league then you go backwards.

The mistake we made was never having an understudy for Eriksen. We needed one during the height of his reign, it would have helped Imus in the key movements as well made the transition to a post Eriksen era that much easier as his understudy would have already been fully integrated. No other "top side" has a single creative attacker in the squad, it's ridiculously poor squad building.
And guess what?.... A very good one had been lined up, only for us to either for months and then fail to get him.

Two windows worth of inactivity was damaging. Who’d have thought it.

What's amusing is that some of us saw this coming even back in 2018, as it was happening. Yet people kept insisting, forcefully and vividly, that it was actually Poch's choice to sign nobody and persevere with a stale squad for as long as he did.

Ironically, Levy has probably spent far more on the past two years of flailing around trying to make up for the neglect and patchwork squad than he would have if he'd just backed Poch in 2018.

Penny-wish, pound-foolish - the ENIC story. Sigh.

I agree
You need at least two options
Today for United again against a BIG side Fernandes wasn’t really the player
Pogba thiugh was...
he stepped up and made the difference
Interesting though that Ole allows both to be on the pitch and be lax in their defensive work, which helps,them have players ahead of the ball to make it easier to mount attacks... the opposite of our horribly defensive minded manager.

Interesting though that Ole allows both to be on the pitch and be lax in their defensive work, which helps,them have players ahead of the ball to make it easier to mount attacks... the opposite of our horribly defensive minded manager.
TBF they were very defensive first half
They had a McTominay and a CB man marking Kane (who still won the ball most times)
From what I saw today ... Jose is just biding his time before the boot
United haven’t improved under ole. Everyone else looks worse which has elevated them
If they actually had a top guy in charge and a few better players they wouldn’t fall behind in all these away games and would be more comfortable
Not that it affects us of course
Lo Celso had a good first half. Wasnt here second half. That was also when Pogba stepped up (the two aren’t related), but also Pogba should have been off for that elbow on serge

What's amusing is that some of us saw this coming even back in 2018, as it was happening. Yet people kept insisting, forcefully and vividly, that it was actually Poch's choice to sign nobody and persevere with a stale squad for as long as he did.

Ironically, Levy has probably spent far more on the past two years of flailing around trying to make up for the neglect and patchwork squad than he would have if he'd just backed Poch in 2018.

Penny-wish, pound-foolish - the ENIC story. Sigh.

Poch saw it coming. It’s a tough one really . What he has done for the club is amazing stadium etc can’t knock him for that. But there’s clear failings from football standpoint.
Levy will always polarise fans.

How accurate it is I don’t know but saw a stat other day that our net spend has been lower than Bournemouth whilst in their Premier League years.

TBF they were very defensive first half
They had a McTominay and a CB man marking Kane (who still won the ball most times)
From what I saw today ... Jose is just biding his time before the boot
United haven’t improved under ole. Everyone else looks worse which has elevated them
If they actually had a top guy in charge and a few better players they wouldn’t fall behind in all these away games and would be more comfortable
Not that it affects us of course
Yes but Fernandes and Pogba are both given reasonably free roles.... look how much space Aurier got in the first half as Ole does not force Pogba to track him. Contrast that with how deep our wide forwards have to go.

Yes but Fernandes and Pogba are both given reasonably free roles.... look how much space Aurier got in the first half as Ole does not force Pogba to track him. Contrast that with how deep our wide forwards have to go.
True
Aurier really had an odd game today
I thought he okayed really well
Yet both the first goals came with him getting stuck neither committing to the man or obviously handing him off to Dier. And on the first Dier didn’t do anything at all which was worse

Thought Pogba was the X factor today. He was far superior to Penandes. Ole allows them to play. But we also allowed it in second half. Thought we were fine first 40 minutes

Decline’s tend to happen when you don’t try to make a single improvement. If you stand still in this league then you go backwards.
If I try, I can see Levy's point of view. And he was fooled. Like Modric, Eriksen made other players around him look better than what they were, in addition to own contribution. The problem with those players aren't what they are, it's what they are not. We know that now. So I'm guessing he didn't see the imminent need to improve or replace. I wasn't around in the 50's and 60's so I might be wrong, but making expensive additions in our best and most consistant run in history was maybe deemed less important than securing a new stadium. And at the time, quite a few fans agreed with him.

I’ll add that the first half was odd generally
They had no shots on target
We had 20% more possession and looked too comfortable

The real problem, as I am getting tired of stating, has been our recruitment over several years. There were only two Mourinho buys ( and a loan) in the starting XI.

A team that contains of Lloris Kane, Son, Ndombele, Holbjerg, Lo Celso Bale Moura Reguillon with Lamela, Vinicius in reserve should be doing better. I think Aurier is pretty decent too. Dele can also be pretty good too. Mourinho hasn't been good enough by any stretch of the imagination this season. I am surprised you are giving him such an easy ride given some of your posts about the performance of the previous manager.

Thought Pogba was the X factor today. He was far superior to Penandes. Ole allows them to play. But we also allowed it in second half. Thought we were fine first 40 minutes
I've gained nearly 30 pounds from eating Ole Gunnar-flavoured humble pies. Not only does he let his players do what they do best as you say, even if it doesn't always work out, but he has also proven that he can harness the worst of primadonnas. Not drawing a direct parallell, but what if Mourinho could salvage, say, Alli the same way Solskjær has salvaged the wreck that was Pogba?

I've gained nearly 30 pounds from eating Ole Gunnar-flavoured humble pies. Not only does he let his players do what they do best as you say, even if it doesn't always work out, but he has also proven that he can harness the worst of primadonnas. Not drawing a direct parallell, but what if Mourinho could salvage, say, Alli the same way Solskjær has salvaged the wreck that was Pogba?
Only one exception to that is Lingard. But other than that. He’s doing ok especially as he’s got a few donkeys in that squad.

Only one exception to that is Lingard. But other than that. He’s doing ok especially as he’s got a few donkeys in that squad.
I'm not following Solskjær outside having every major newspaper in Norway reporting what he eats and how much he sh*ts every single day, but as I see it at least he's not trying to be something he's not. He's not riding his past. He has also learned from arguably the best and most scary man manager ever. And even though it's taken time to implement his version while being backed by the board, he's looking well on track and they've gone back to winning games they play like donkeys. Football is always in motion and nothing is certain, but if he can secure a player like Haaland in the summer, he's in for the long haul.

Back